Sierra Estrella Mtn....Old Rock House,Spanish Mine?

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went up yesterday to check this place out, you can find some story's here......www.brazilbrazil.com/mine.html...http://www.sierraestrella.com/main.html

Found some evidence of recent activity's(last few years) at the mine.....Some PVC pipe and a few other things i couldnt figure out what they were using them for!
Has anyone from TN been up there? Been down in the vertical shaft?
Cant tell how far down the mine goes, the water well is about 12 to 15 feet deep

Attachments

• IMG_0285 copy.jpg
    IMG_0285 copy.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,729
  • IMG_0290 copy.jpg
    IMG_0290 copy.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,825
  • IMG_0293 copy.jpg
    IMG_0293 copy.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,505
  • IMG_0300 copy.jpg
    IMG_0300 copy.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,697
OP
OP
BenThereDoneThat

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Will be going as soon as schedule permits. Do you have any waypoints or directions you'd be willing to share? BTW Excellent job on the pictures!!

33 10' 50.8 N
112 12' 42.1 W
Goggle Earth
Should be close or right at these cords ! didnt take my GPS to mark it exact.
There is an old road going up to this canyon....You'll need a high clearence or better yet a 4x4,
at the end of the road going up the hill there is a trail but not well worn
Fastest way there....Take maricopa rd west of I-10 turn north on 99th ave..Turn east north side of sevenmile mountain....the canyon is bellow Montezuma Peak!!! Carefull out there its HOT HOT HOT and no one within miles

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the coords!

I have a CCW and always carry whenever I go S of Bethanyhome :thumbsup: Have done some revenue protection work down on lower Buckeye. Was involved in a shootout going home one night. A male Mex decided to come out the front door with a suitcase of Budweiser blazing at the security guard. So I understand your warning probably better than most Thanks!!!

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Careful Parker...you are being watched by this desert rock critter (lol)

Attachments

• rockcritter.jpg
    rockcritter.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,992
OP
OP
BenThereDoneThat

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a few more pics
#1 doorway in rock house
#2 messages in bottles from people that have visited
#3-#4 Some of the newer things at the mine???

Attachments

• IMG_0286 copy.jpg
    IMG_0286 copy.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,449
  • IMG_0288 copy.jpg
    IMG_0288 copy.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_0297 copy.jpg
    IMG_0297 copy.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,261
  • IMG_0299 copy.jpg
    IMG_0299 copy.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,258

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question. are the lumber and PVC pipes part of some sort of sluice rig? Still haven't been able to get time off to make the trip up yet. The way things are going with my luck it'll be hotter than blazes when I do. :icon_sunny: That Blue mason type jar sure looks cool. I'm surprised it's still there.

OP
OP
BenThereDoneThat

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Question. are the lumber and PVC pipes part of some sort of sluice rig? Still haven't been able to get time off to make the trip up yet. The way things are going with my luck it'll be hotter than blazes when I do. :icon_sunny: That Blue mason type jar sure looks cool. I'm surprised it's still there.

The blue mason jar is new....You can probably get those at the dollar store if you looked !!
There is quit a bit of OLD lumber in the canyon.....the newer 2x4 stuff is rather new probably from this past winter i would guess as the nuts and bolts holding it together weren't even weathered.
i assume the pvc was for water transport up the hill as there is some standing water further down from the mine........I was thinking they could have been pumping AIR into the shaft as well with this stuff????????dont know how far down it goes but damn who ever dug this mine went straight through rock.
Would like to repel down in it one day maybe this fall when it cools way down.
Hard to believe no one from TN has been up there? Or at least there not saying anything if they did :icon_profileleft:

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
Hard to believe no one from TN has been up there? Or at least there not saying anything if they did
Yep :wink:

OP
OP
BenThereDoneThat

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hooch said:
T.Parker said:
Went up yesterday to check this place out, you can find some story's here......www.brazilbrazil.com/mine.html...http://www.sierraestrella.com/main.html

Found some evidence of recent activity's(last few years) at the mine.....Some PVC pipe and a few other things i couldnt figure out what they were using them for!
Has anyone from TN been up there? Been down in the vertical shaft?
Cant tell how far down the mine goes, the water well is about 12 to 15 feet deep

You found some of our work, we mined it for the last 2 years along with the second stone house, there's nothing in the shaft you took pictures in and we caved it in at the bottom. The PVC you pictured was from a highschool science class that made an attempt to send a PVC robot camera down the shaft to take pictures, this is what we eventually had to dig out about 2 years ago to get into the main room that was at the bottom of the shaft. Feel free to poke around and make sure you bring a weapon, minus getting in shootouts from drug runners for the last 3 years the indians don't want you there as well as the old miners that are still out in that area. Gimme a email at [email protected] if you want to discuss this privatly.

975010885108_0_ALB.jpg

413000885108_0_ALB.jpg

122799785108_0_ALB.jpg

425010885108_0_ALB.jpg

538989785108_0_ALB.jpg

Ive been in that area plenty of times running my 4 wheeler.......Checked the records and theres no active claims, So grumpy ol prospectors can bite me. :icon_pirat: as far as the indians?.........Thats not part of the Res so i aint worried about what they want either! Every time ive been there i havnt seen anyone all day, its nice and flat and you can run for miles.

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
hooch said:
Yea but all the good stuff is on the other side of the mountain, the res side.
How right you are Hooch :wink:

OP
OP
BenThereDoneThat

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hooch said:

Havnt traveled that two track in a couple years........ was lightly traveled and no one around then either!! (Res Side)
Define "Good Stuff" ????????????????? Buried Gold !!!! Lost mine !!!! other then those two stories the same minerals and quartz veins can be found running from one side to the other.

I think MesaBuddy has "something" he's just dieing to tell someone about...........LOL.........he's hinted at it twice now!!!!!!!!!! GO ahead...SPILL IT MB,,,,,,,or not :tongue3:

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
T.Parker said:
hooch said:

Havnt traveled that two track in a couple years........ was lightly traveled and no one around then either!! (Res Side)
Define "Good Stuff" ????????????????? Buried Gold !!!! Lost mine !!!! other then those two stories the same minerals and quartz veins can be found running from one side to the other.

I think MesaBuddy has "something" he's just dieing to tell someone about...........LOL.........he's hinted at it twice now!!!!!!!!!! GO ahead...SPILL IT MB,,,,,,,or not :tongue3:
Hey there T. Parker ,
When it cools off , perhaps we'll get together and do an adventure or 2 :wink:

OP
OP
BenThereDoneThat

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MesaBuddy said:
T.Parker said:
hooch said:

Hey there T. Parker ,
When it cools off , perhaps we'll get together and do an adventure or 2 :wink:

Sounds good..............Im done with this HEAT for the year, ready for some cooler days so i can camp and explore. :thumbsup:

matt787

Feb 21, 2010
want to start by saying I am not a treasure hunter, I don't even own a metal detector. What was once a secret only known by a small group of individuals is now becoming something of common knowledge. The Old Stone house and mine site in the Sierra Estrellas is even an entry on a popular AZ hiking site now! I am trying to learn the backstory of the mine and continue with the research that John Arthur Deal started with his "Brazil" website. Information is sparse and accounts vary. I have been pursuing a great number of angles and an incredible number of sources to which most yield little information beyond what Arthur Deal himself already found. My interest is in eventually creating a website to document the complete history of the mine and a background of the Estrellas, and in preserving the site in it's present condition. If Arthur deal is correct which from my research I would think so, the stone house is the third oldest (known) Spanish structure in Arizona.

But I need help! I know over the years many have visted this site including treasure hunters. Pictures are sparse as are first hand accounts of the condition of the site. I am also pursuing the John D. Mitchell legend and whether it holds any water. Finding Don Joanquin Campoy (if he existed) will likely take access to the archives in Mexico and Spain, a search that will be a ways a away. But if I can find the cave reported by Mitchell near Montezuma's head that would be a significant step. I am also trying to record information about activity and the original conditon of the mine. From pictures to first hand accounts anything would be valuable especially anything before the 50's when it seems most of the artifacts were removed and some damage was done.

Of course all sources will be kept anonymous unless specified otherwise by you. And I would be happy to share any information I have with you. From the original work by the spainards to Milton F. Rose's discovery and apparent work done in the 50's or 60's it is clear that little to no wealth remains but that of historical significance. I know there are people out there that have been here. Please help preserve the historical record for all of us, and perhaps shed some light on the John D. Mitchell legend in the process. It is a very interesting story and one that deserves to be told!

Happy Hunting!
Matt Brady
[email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions