New at this. I found some maps drawn and stuck in an old Desert mag

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Hi, I'm a total newbie so bear with me.
My Mom kept everything, including a huge stack of Desert Magazines. Most of them are kinda sewn together.
My Mom found them at a garage sale many many years ago, She kept them in a closet and I got curious (interesting aside, I think they were owned at one time by someone at the clinic that the famous suitcase murderess was living)
Anyway, I got them out a couple of years ago and went Thur them. In one of the mags I found several hand drawn maps, and carbon copies of other maps and letters. My 'impression' is that this guy either sent maps to Desert or he was just making them, they don't match any of the maps in the mag.
One of the carbons has a date 1956, he lists underneath the drawn maps 'things found' at the locations, including fossils.
Also, my cousins have been miners for years, one guy is such a rock hound and one cousin worked all over the world overseeing mines... need to pick his brain. I was also in 1st /2nd grade living in Apache Junction and my bus driver/sheriff would tell me stories on the way to and from school, (another story unto its self).
I have the time, I'd like to go and try somethings... including the arch of no return... shoot they'd send me back pronto.
I have a strong background in research, and its what I like to do, and I have a lot of books pertaining to the Arizona trails, from as far back as the 50s. Have collected quite a bit of old out of print books... which are very fun.
Ok, whats next...
Any ideas on what I should do, Janiece

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Janiece:
"any ideas on What should you do ?"
Yep!
I got One !
Meet up with "Doc" and I " :coffee2:
Oh!
By the way,
I was born in Phoenix and I have spend many days/weeks around the Apache Junction /Goldfield/Supersititon area
Do you remember The "Coke a Cola" drinking Burro in Goldfield? :tongue3:
I have a Complete Desert Magazine collection myself
Got it from an Old Timer over in Ca. !

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
PS:
Doc & I wil be going into "The Supers", from around the old 1/4 Circle "U" Ranch Road
I found a hill full of Geodes back in my HS Days!
I wonder if it's still there? ???

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Where are you guys? I would not be contrary to a sit down. There is more to the story. I'm not as interested in the Sup's, but just fascinated by the area. I have a pic of an old guy that went around the Junction getting photo op's as the "Dutchman." I will post those later.
I have a few questions about this arena. What is a Hero member? Do you count things found during your lifetime, because some would not believe what I've found just keeping my eyes open from the time I was a kid. LOL What do the other designations mean here? ;D :icon_thumleft:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be incorrect, but most of the designations (tenderfoot, hero, etc...) have to do with the number of posts you've made - that's all - it's meaningless.

The Charter Member designation is something you get when you join the Charter Group and pay a small fee to help keep the forum running - it gives you a few benefits the average member doesn't get.

These forums are ALWAYS hungry for photos, so please feel free to post photos of anything you've found that you think are interesting. Sometimes you'll run across "naysayers" here that will question every single thing you've done, seen or took photos of, but the vast majority of people here are fun and some are extremely knowledgeable.

One word of warning however - discretion is advised - this is an internet site just like any others. You never really know who's on the other end of the computer and what their motives may be. That said, I've met some really great folks in person whom I met through this forum!!

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Hi, thank you for the advice. I really appreciate the heads up.
I'm not a naive, despite the avatar ;D I've been in the Art business most of my life and coins are just small beautiful sculptures. Animation is an art form distinctly American. I've encountered gun toting muggers more than once.
This is an interesting group, but I know the drill. Janiece

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gossamer said:
Hi, thank you for the advice. I really appreciate the heads up.
I'm not a naive, despite the avatar ;D I've been in the Art business most of my life and coins are just small beautiful sculptures. Animation is an art form distinctly American. I've encountered gun toting muggers more than once.
This is an interesting group, but I know the drill. Janiece

Didn't mean to sound condescending or anything with my advice - sounds like you've got all your bases covered - you'll fit in great :)

Now, don't forget to take and post photos for us :)

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
I did not take it in any other way, than it was given... with your good grace and a good heads up.
I tried earlier to put some pics up, but now I have to learn how to reduce jpg's it told me it was too big. :icon_profileleft: So hears to learning... more. LOL
Janiece

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bill,
Where in the Supers are you going? What are you looking for?

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
djui5
1....We're going to see if I can relocate that hill full of geodes
Take'll take us in from the Northside of the mnts
2....Then, we'll swing (drive) around and see where the "Public Info" that I found on the Dutchman will lead
3....Then we'll swing around again, to the Far Eastside and go into "A VERY Interesting Canyon"
If, what I experienced is still there, & there is evidence that it is, then, we'll come out and make contact with the "Documentary Film Crew"AS they have expressed they'd like to "FILM THIS! ALSO!"

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
That is my interest also, I'm mulling ideas for a docu. I want something concrete, verifiable and true. (there'in lies the rub) :icon_study:
Janiece :thumbsup:

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Gossamer said:
I did not take it in any other way, than it was given... with your good grace and a good heads up.
I tried earlier to put some pics up, but now I have to learn how to reduce jpg's it told me it was too big. :icon_profileleft: So hears to learning... more. LOL
Janiece

Easiest way in a nutshell is to open the .jpg in Microsoft paint (assuming you use Microsoft Windows) and on the toolbar on top is a selection called "image" click it, scroll down to "stretch/skew" - what you want to do is stretch it - but less than 100% - so if you click 85% for up and 85% for down it will go to 85% of file original size theoretically. If you stretch again it will reduce it based on the new image you have drawn. Be sure and make a back-up copy of your original in case you accidentally save the file as the same name and you lose your original photo.

DOCC77

Jan 13, 2007
Gossamer....

First of all I want to say welcome to the forum.It's a great place with alot of good knowlegeable people that will help when ever they can,Next of all I want to say your avatar is great..That BB cartoon has always been one of my favorites of all time... :thumbsup:

Next,Bill and I aregoing out very soon,we have had contact with,I think discovery channel.They want to join us and film one of our leads,a place bill has already been to.Your more then welcome to join us in any part of our endevors,we've got alot to cover and alot of ground to cover.We're looking to be out about a year,if things are going well,longer..Again welcome to the net..... :D

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Emtrescue, thank you I will try that. :thumbsup:
No one has said whether the running totals are only after you join up. Some of the things I have found are not coins, but I seem to have a bit of luck.
Doc, I'm interested... let me know details.
I will be at the library tomorrow, doing my research... keep me posted. :icon_study:
Janiece

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Janiece:
As you might suspect, going on a 12+ month long trip,
Doc & I have a "list" :tongue3: of treasures & sites that you are going to be checking out
Our problem is, really, where do we "start" ?
"NM" would be the logical place, as it is going to be the first state that we hit on our way West!
But!
These sites are all "probables"....
Or!
In the "Usual" catagory!
There are only two that are "confirmed" Rich ! :tongue3:
And!
They are both in Arizona
Hundreds of miles past the NM sites, of which, one is pretty certain to contain Gold (MD'ing for nuggets) !
AND!
It's about 1/2 way between these others !!!! :icon_scratch:
In other words, We can't give a date when we'll be in either, Ariz or in NM ??? ::)
It's going to be... "How things play out!"
Other than to say,
Yep! We'll be out there somewhere at sometime

Shadowed_Blue

Greenie
Jun 21, 2006
SoCal
Janiece...

Do you by any chance have the July 1940 issue of Desert Magazine in your set?? Was there any maps inside of that one?? Are any of the maps initialed?? Are you considering producing a documentary yourself or just providing material for one?

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Shadowed_Blue...
The ones that are bound together are all from 1939. On most of them it has written this address:
Minnie Bergquist Jul 40
% Grunow Clinic
926 E. McDowell Rd
Phoenix, Arizona

All of them, that are sewn together are 1939 and thats where I found the maps and carbons (the carbon maps aren't the same as the sketched maps) there is also a letter on the carbon, but can't read it much. Some of the other mags in the mags are obviously traced... don't know anything else...
Tell me what is up?
Janiece
Going back to go forward :icon_study:

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Janiece:
You might want to try a small hand held Ultraviolet light/lamp
They show up things that aren't visible other wise
Be sure to try both the Long wave and Short wave

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Treasure Tales:
Speaking primarily of Topo Maps,
It would be better to locate and use the older maps
The USGS has been on a "Revision"
They are eliminating a lot of old roads, trails, houses, towns, mines & etc
They are "Revising" >:( them into more & Newer "PC" Maps ! :'(
Ones, that don't show the older places that you/we, used to find/go to! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread