Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

JT2

Aug 2006
    ACE 250

Suggestions for prospecting near Tucson?

Hi all!

I'm attending a conference in Tucson during the week of May 11th thru the 18th, and I'll have the weekend of the 17th and 18th free.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I could go to do some propecting?

I'd be interested in panning/sluicing or does anyone know of any place to rent a gold-detecting metal detector for the weekend?

Thanks, and hope to hear from someone!

John

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Oct 2007

Re: Suggestions for prospecting near Tucson?

Hi John, I live west of Tucson and sometimes prospect at Greaterville which is a little east and about 21 miles south of Tucson. There isn't anyplace that I know of in the Tucson area with running water for panning. Maybe someone else has some suggestions. The only metal detector dealer that I know of in Tucson is Morey Detector Sales. His phone number is 323-0071. I don't know if he rents detectors.
    Most of the Greaterville area is claimed or 50-50 land which you are not allowed to prospect on. If you belong to GPAA, they have 5 claims at Greaterville. I'm not real familiar with Tucson so hopefully some else can give you some more information. The GPAA claims are the Golden Tattoo, Lucky Strike, Fantastic, Friendship and R Double J. You could get a rental car within about 1/2 mile of the Lucky Strike and Fantastic. Fantastic does have a small stream that runs through it, but I doubt if there is enough water to pan in. It hasn't rained for a while. I was able to pan in it and even run a 12 volt high banker in it, but that was after a rainy period. I wouldn't count on water being there now.
    GPAA also has claims in Arivaca which is also south of Tucson, but I'm pretty sure you need a 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicle to get to them.

Good hunting, John K

Jan 2007
    Heavener oklahoma
    fisher gold bug2

Down by Madera Canyon this Box Canyon to the north west that has parttime water and pea sized nuggets.
    take the road towards Madera Canyon hang to the left at the road splits there is a small dam that is full of sand right besides the road by some springs
    if you like what you are getting, keep doing what you are doing!!
    Life Member Viet Nam Veterans of America.
    N.R.A. Member
    GPAA Member

us
    Apr 2007
    New Mexico
    White's MXT

Contact the Tucson Desert Gold Diggers at www.desert-gold-diggers.com They have numerous claims in the Greaterville and Aravica areas. They can be very helpful, membership fees are very reasonable. Contact Mr. Fred Murphy, Treasurer at 520-991-7536. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Apr 2008

No water for panning / sluicing this time of year, hasn't rained in a few months depending on the area. STAY AWAY FROM THE ARIVCA AREA unless you're armed AND with a group. too much cross border drug traffic that close to the border. Greaterville is nice no real problems there. Most of the area is under claim but there are plenty of open areas that are productive. A dry washer is your best bet. Just my 2

[img][/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006-03-21_Chiricahua_National_Monument_52.JPG 
Views:	441 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	199891  

Sponsors