anyone try panning at lake pleasant or metal deceting there?

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Yes panning is permitted in the park, all of the tributaries leading into the lake from the north have gold in them, They flow down from the Bradshaw's .I have panned and found gold in and around Lake Pleasant, on the east side of the lake outside of the park near the power lines, and along the power line road you can find agates, and carbonates (ie desert roses). good luck and HH

db

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
The area set aside by the state is located where the Humbug empties into the lake itself if i remember right....
These days the road around the lake is blocked off with a iron gate at the humbug. There is a way around it
but it takes detailed knowledge of the area like i have from years of exploring those hills...but even then time
fades memory but i will try and help out. When you come in from the back side (Hwy 74) bypass the first
boat entrance and keep going until it t's. To the right is another park entrance...go left and follow it around..
you will cross a bridge that goes over part of the lake when the lake water is up....just past this there is a right turn...
take it...as going straight will take you to castle hot springs proper. You will go thru a wash section right away and
start to climb. After the climb is a flat plateau.....continue until it turns into rolling hills and then drops down and curves right.
At the bottom of the curve will be a sign and a road to you left that goes down...this is the beginning of the back way to
crown king and other points. Continue back up the hill and it turns left....around the turn will be a road....take it left....
then after a bit is a road that goes right and forks into two roads...if memory serves me correctly the right hand road is the
one you want to see the old chinese damn built to hydro the sides of humbug creek for placer in the 1880's. These roads
are not for cars...and i highly advise a high clearance 4x4 or quad!

DW

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
azstomper said:
you will cross a bridge that goes over part of the lake when the lake water is up....just past this there is a right turn...
DW

Thanks for the directions! I'm dying to get up to the North side of the lake. Went up there for some fishing a couple weeks ago and didn't catch jack because of all the boat noise and people :) Will take my pan with me next time. Nothing like a day of fish and gold right!!!

Attachments

• Lake-1.jpg
    Lake-1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 2,078
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
screwy rules? -- after contacting the park for more info ---- some very screwy "RULES" showed up humm seems IN THE PARK you can pan using hand tools and use metal detectors --you have to fill your holes ( cool by me) but then the parks say "you can't "take" anything from the park "INCLUDING" THE GOLD" -- HUH ? -- lets see you CAN metal detect and pan pan for gold but then you can't leave the park with it --county rules --- the county "MANAGES" the park and says no taking anything from county managed or owned parks --however the land is OWNED by the BLM ---federal govt which allows gold panning / detecting hobby style.--- those rules are in conflict and the fed rules should prevail in this case.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Follow the rules of the one who owns the land. They have the throne :)

bronc88

Jul 1, 2008
Might be beneficial to check into joining the Roadrunners Prospectors Club in Phoenix. They have a large number of claims and did have one on Humbug Creek (not sure if they still do). I have seen some small nuggets taken from there. But if you have the gold bug , check into the club ,,,,nice group of people with a lot of info and great activities.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
gjui5
So!
You didn't catch "JACK !" HUH! ?
Hay!
A well placed stick of dynamite :tongue3: sure improves a guys fish catching average! :thumbsup:

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lastleg said:
Was that a funny or do you enjoy wearing jumpsuits?

hahah

Bill,
Not a big fan of loud bangs :) Plus the sulfur in the fish wouldn't taste well... :tard: :tongue3: :tongue3:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil said:
gjui5
So!
You didn't catch "JACK !" HUH! ?
Hay!
A well placed stick of dynamite :tongue3: sure improves a guys fish catching average! :thumbsup:

CIL wobblers--bag your limit with every cast. ;D

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djui5 said:
Follow the rules of the one who owns the land. They have the throne :)

Well said!!

Last time we went to Pleasant, we could see bass, but they wouldn't take anything. My buddy was literally bouncing worms over a couple, but no go. Also noticed numerous dry washer piles at the north end off Castle Hotsprings rd. right on the boundary of the park. Didn't get a chance to see if the was any color, but it might be an OK spot.

Also, if I remember right GPAA had/has some claims off I17 & Table Mesa rd There was flour & flakes when I was up there about a year ago. Might be worth a shot for you!

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
Been to that lake several times always wondered if there was any color there, now I know!
Thnx

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
when the bass will not take worms -- maybe they seen too many of em --try a rooster tail spinner or mepps minnow spinner or other lesser used type lure item

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
when the bass will not take worms -- maybe they seen too many of em --try a rooster tail spinner or mepps minnow spinner or other lesser used type lure item
Believe me! I was thinking more along the lines of a speargun or arbalette!!! ::) I swear, he bounced a worm over the fishes nose, and he just backed up a couple of inches, and sat there. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread