treasure maps of the superstitions

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
I found this book called Treasure Maps of the Superstitions. it is written by a young lady who is a native of Az. Her name is Amy Michelle Mosier. She claims that Foxworthy found the Lost dutchman mine and removed millions in gold. It was in the late 70's or 80's.She also claims that Foxworthy waited for 16 years or better to write his book. kind of make you wonder a bit???? I am not a LDM hunter :thumbsup: Buck

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck said:
I found this book called Treasure Maps of the Superstitions. it is written by a young lady who is a native of Az. Her name is Amy Michelle Mosier. She claims that Foxworthy found the Lost dutchman mine and removed millions in gold. It was in the late 70's or 80's.She also claims that Foxworthy waited for 16 years or better to write his book. kind of make you wonder a bit???? I am not a LDM hunter :thumbsup: Buck

Ahhh, so THAT's how Jeff Foxworthy got rich!! I knew he wasn't that good of a comedian :wink:

Seriously - hers is one of the few books I haven't picked up and read yet though I've heard of it. I will say that if all the folks who have claimed to have found the LDM had REALLY found it, there would be no less than a couple dozen of the richest gold mines in history all found in the Superstition Mountains - expect for the ones located outside of the Supers :)

treasurehntr

Aug 21, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / Whites TM808
Hi Buck,
I've read the book by Amy. I believe she was talking about Charles Kenworthy, rumor has it he took out 13.8 million in gold.
Treasurehntr,,,

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurehntr said:
Hi Buck,
I've read the book by Amy. I believe she was talking about Charles Kenworthy, rumor has it he took out 13.8 million in gold.
Treasurehntr,,,

I don't think it was that much.

Best-Mike

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check with Jimb of Milwaukee, WI. He is a bit of an expert on the superstitions. TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
“The Conclusion of the Original Peralta Stone Maps: The King’s Royal Treasure.” A TerrySoloman.com Book Review
vcfppqo.jpg

Author- Mark Clayton; ISBN 978-1-4251-8613-5; Trafford Publishing; 73-pages; 9”x 11” paperback; Full color photographs & illustrations. $24.95

Mark Clayton, takes us on a wild and sometimes confusing ride through the lore surrounding “The Peralta Stone Maps,” found in Arizona by a retired Oregon Highway Patrolman in 1949. Clayton’s book focuses on his search, and if you believe him – the discovery of “the King’s Fifth,” which was 20-percent of all the treasure found or collected in Arizona, by the Conquistadors and the Peralta Family.

I am very familiar with the Superstition Mountains, having hiked and camped there with my Father growing up, in the Boy Scouts, and later as a private guide. Because I know these areas intimately I found the old maps, illustrations and photographs in this book fascinating. The author is a Canadian, mesmerized by Arizona and the Superstition Mountains. He takes us through his personal journey of discovery, starting in 1997. Clayton and his friend flew to Phoenix for a vacation in October, 1997. While there, they met the owner of a gold prospecting shop in Tempe, Dave Ramirez. It was Ramirez that told Clayton about Apache Junction, the Superstition Mountains, and the Peralta Trails. Within a week, Mark and his friend Lori were hooked on the lore - and lure - of the Peralta Maps!

In the book, Clayton chronicles his research, and lays out his theory about the location of what could be one of the largest treasure hoards ever discovered. The problem with this book - for folks that are not familiar with the Peralta Maps and their history, is that Clayton’s ideas and theories are based on endless references to other books and research - done by others. If you have never read these books or papers, you could be left scratching your head while looking at one of Clayton’s photographs of a Spanish trail marker, or monument!

I recommend this book just for the topo maps, historical maps; illustrations and photographs alone! If you are interested in Adolf Ruth; the Peralta family; Spanish Treasure in Arizona; or just hiking the mysterious Superstition Mountains, this book may be for you! Order it online at: The Conclusion to the Original Peralta Stone Maps: The King's Royal Treasure - Mark Clayton : Trafford Book Store

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnx, Terry. It is now on my list! Can't this month. Already spent $350 on STUFF for prospecting! Ouch! TTC

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry C when you lived up here in Wis. did you ever do the root river? Or honey creek?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oak creek area out side of Milwaukee river down now and found a large area of bed rock bottom in the root
On Honey Creek Parkway is a 9-hole Golf course. In Wauwatosa. The last hole, along the parkway, has a "sledding hill" I would hunt (and sled down as a child). That was when I began hunting in 69 or 70.... with a BFO. The hill was ALWAYS good, if you put up with the pulltabs. A coupla-three years ago, I invited Alpha105 to the hill to hunt, only to learn it had weeds 4 FEET TALL! Nolonger a sledding hill. His first, and only, target was at the top. Took 64 cents from one hole. (Sigh!) That was Honey Creek, off of the Menomenee River, wasn't it? Don't remember hunting the Root River. Hunted the Milwaukee Rv..... back when I was a cop and carried an off-duty .357! Thanks for the reply, home boy! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope! I think I am wrong! LITTLE Menomenee Parkway for the golf course. Can't remember.... gotta look it up. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Menomenee Rv/ Underwood Creek. I looked it up using Street Atlas. May not even be a golf course, anymore! What's the world coming to? The only permanent thing is CHANGE! (edit: Looked with Google Earth. Still looks like a golf course... in 2011. The hill would be at the tee of the second from last hole... 8th back then. You can see the heavy weeds! Ouch!) Take care. TTC

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Soloman, I ordered the book. It's on the way. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read the book once, Terry S. I highlighted facts for the second reading. I will list facts at the third reading, reducing the book to items I can use. I will compare that to other publications then critic the book for you. Thanks for the referral. TTC

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
TerryC, you know that road from Yarnell to Stanton? Have you ever found any veins along it? Are is the gold confined to
the Rich Hill immediate surroundings? I used to camp on LL but I know that is barren all the way to Octave.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC, you know that road from Yarnell to Stanton? Have you ever found any veins along it? Are is the gold confined to
the Rich Hill immediate surroundings? I used to camp on LL but I know that is barren all the way to Octave.
Sorry, Lastleg, I just NOW saw your question. The road you allude to is Mina Rd (Old Stage Rd.). It has many quartz veins. The Bajada (pediment) coming down from Antelope peak LOOKS GOOD but is mostly State and private claims. As you get closer to Stanton Rd, there are more private claims that are being given up due to the new claim-pricing laws. LEARN to use the LR2000 page for help on the claims! Any other questions? Again, sorry for not reponding sooner. TTC

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Terry, it probably doesn't matter as I doubt I'll be going back. Old Bob is long dead and John is settled down in Meadview. We
had some great times out there. That Congress road is mighty rough.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, it probably doesn't matter as I doubt I'll be going back. Old Bob is long dead and John is settled down in Meadview. We
had some great times out there. That Congress road is mighty rough.
They grade that road a few times a year but the winter traffic (prospecting season) turns it into a washboard QUICKLY! Go up to Meadview to visit John... if you are into meteorites. The Gold Basin strewnfield is nearby. Take care. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread