BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SGnAZ said:
Hello all.I am a new member,but I have been lurking around here for few days.I was reading a post-can't find it again-about places in the Superstitions a person should not go into. Can anyone expand on that topic as to where and why?

All of the super's are open for hiking!!! Use the main trail heads, if someone says there are places "you shouldnt go into" it would be because they think there onto something (LDM) and dont want you in there.
Then they tell stories of guys with guns chasing each other around, wild indians, spooks and goblins like its the 1800's again.................I live on the boarder of the tonto forest right at the base of the supers and hike in all the time when the weather is cool, Just go Have Fun and Enjoy !!! if your concerned about anything it is legal to carry.

Its rugged in areas so take extra care when going in, make sure to take plenty of water with ya.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also a lot of times when someone says "don't go here or there" it's because the terrain is extremely rough and they probably don't want you getting hurt. Lots of unsuspecting "tourists" go back there and get hurt every year. It's a very dangerous place despite all the trails/etc. Just use caution and good common sense and you'll be fine. There are trails all over the place so you can get to almost anywhere back there without having to climb a huge mountain.

If you need anything please let me know. I've hiked all over those mountains :)

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, we're having another Rendezvous this year in October. The 24th, 25th and 26th actually! We'd love it if you would attend. We will be using the Don's camp near the Peralta Trail Head again this year. It's a great time and the stories told are not to be missed.

Fletch,
It's best to find a hiking buddy to hike with. I don't recommend hiking that range by yourself, it's too dangerous. Sometimes groups get together and go out, but most people hike in pairs back there. Find someone you trust :)

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fletch71 said:
I figured it would be best to travel in a group and with someone that knows the area. I thought a mountain bike would be good for trails but it may look like there are many rocks and hills. How close can someone get to Weaver's Needle? All of the film footage and photos I see are taken from a distance and no film or photo of anyone near the needle. Does anyone have any pictures of found gold ore in the area so I can get an idea of what it looks like?

Can a metal detector be used for ground searching?
No mountain bikes allowed...........You would be carring the bike most of the time anyways its that rough! You can ride in on horse back but a mule would be my first choice.
You can get as close to Weaver's as you like, i've taken my metal detector's in and also have a small pack model as not to attract unwanted attention!!
Since you have never been in there heres a heads up for you! its not like going for a leisurely hike in the woods.....especially if your cross cutting trails, be prepared for the worst you can imagine, its the desert and every thing has thorns and sharp edges and if it bites you its probably gonna be poisoness to some degree......hell i think even a few of the jack rabbits have fangs...lol

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are a couple "easy" trails that get you near the Needle. If you wanna get right up and touch it you're gonna pay for it. It's hell getting that close to it. This boulder is about 10' tall or more. It was huge:

bigrockinboxcanyoncominfa6.jpg

cactus3yd2.jpg

weaversneedlefromrightuev6.jpg

weaversneedlefromsouth2ml1.jpg

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures Randy!! Crystal clear camera!

The 2 things that surprised me the most - even though I had been warned and expected it - were....

1) If you go off the trail, the length of time it can take to go a single mile due to the obstacles - you see things in the distance that you'd swear you could get to in 30-60 minutes, but instead it takes you 3 hours.

&

2) The difference in magnitude of scale between seeing pictures and actually being there. Pictures (and this is no offense meant because your photos really are excellent) don't do justice to the height and depth of things out there. Without something as a frame of reference, it's tough to tell how tall a bush, rock or crevice is.

Oh - and I'll second, third and fourth what T. Parker said. EVERYTHING out there truly does poke, stick, grab, snag, cut, pinch, tear, bite, or otherwise contribute to bruises and cuts. I wear a long sleeve shirt, jeans, boots and leather gloves despite the heat and I still end up with scratches and holes in some of the oddest places!!!

I can't wait to come back out this October :)

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cubfan64 said:
2) The difference in magnitude of scale between seeing pictures and actually being there.

This is VERY true, and it is almost impossible to capture on camera. In that 2nd picture the Saguaro is 9-11' tall. The little "mountain" of rock to the right of the arrow in the back of the picture is about 35-40' tall. Although that area is relatively flat through there it's a long ways from one side to another. In the 3rd picture Weavers Needle is about 400'-450' from the place I was standing to the base of the rock part of the Needle. Climbing up that would hurt. It's VERY steep.

Look at the first picture and imagine standing at the base of that huge boulder. On this side it's about 10' to the top, so your looking up to see the top. On the other side it's about 20' to the top from the bottom of the "canyon". That should give a little perspective on how steep that canyon is. Then you have the non-stop brush/trees/cacti to "crawl over" on your way down. It sure was tough getting through there. One of these days I'm gonna take some video to show people how rough that terrain really is. You gotta be there for sure :)

SG,
What other pictures would you like to see? I have tons :o

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SGnAZ said:
Hey DJ,I would love to see more photos.How about some camp shots,and different trails,canyons ,etc.I want to get a taste of the area before I decide to check it out for myself.There are not many photos-at least that I kind find-on the internet.Thanks
SG 8)

I don't remember if you have to pay to register for this site or not, but there's a ton of hikes and photos to go along with them here. Not all of the Superstition Trails are included, but try typing a few in and search and you'll find lots to look at.

http://hikearizona.com/

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
In Response To Post #2:
The Az. State Law and in most other Western States,
allows a person/you, to carry a weapon, even into & and around town

As long as it is "NOT CONCEALED"!

Same goes for "carrying" in your vehicle ( Not Concealed) !
AND!
Yep!
I have walked into many a public place(s) with a gun strapped on!

Response to Post #6:
"Being In the company of others"..
Does not assure a "non injury trip!"
Careful steps and watching where and how you step, will help MORE!
I have spent, Literally, MONTHs, "24/7/30", out by myself .....
::) Never had an accident! :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread