Aso ranch ghost town

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
If you use the map location from google and match i up on google earth you can still see some of the buildings where it was.

Attachments

• aso ranch (Large).jpg
    aso ranch (Large).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 669

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I found this....not sure if this helps any.... http://www.for.nau.edu/cms/content/view/784/1203

Scholarships Established by Alumni and Friends of the School of Forestry:
Ramon Aso Forestry Scholarship Fund:
This fund was established in 1960 through a bequest by Ramon Aso, a Basque sheepherder who came to the U.S. in the early 1900s and worked for many years for the Babbitt Ranches, before eventually purchasing his own ranch near Williams, Arizona. This scholarship is awarded to a deserving junior or senior.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: Ramon Aso
City: Not Stated
County: Coconino
State: Arizona
Birthplace: Spain
Birth Date: 8 May 1888
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1522348
DraftBoard: 0

His Draft card supplies the following information:
5 June 1917, Precinct 4, Flagstaff, Arizona
Lived in Flagstaff, Arizona
Born 8 May 1888
He was a Naturalized Citizen
He was born in Canfranc, Huesco, Spain
He was a sheep herder (owner)
He was Medium height and Medium build with grey eyes and dark brown hair
He was single.

I find on the New York Passenger Lists, 17 August 1950 onboard the SS AMERICA as Ramon Aso, age 62, Male of Williams, Arizona with Passport number: 213575 and born in Spain with 4 pcs of luggage. He was in first class and the ship came from Le Havre, France on 11 August 1950 and arrived in New York 17 August 1950.

I would say without a doubt, he was the Owner of the Aso Ranch.

Some more data...genealogical:

3 August 1959
Arizona Daily Sun
Flagstaff, Arizona
Recent visitors in the home of Miss Lura Kinsey (the aunt to Mrs. Ramon Aso, as per a previous news article I found), were Mr. and Mrs. Tom M. Allison and their four children of Phoenix. The Allisons also visited Mr. Allison's father, Ramon Aso, of Williams, who has been ill for some time.

(I wonder if they meant to type in MRS. ALLISON....unless Ramon's son Americanized his surname???)

7 June 1960
Arizona Daily Sun
Flagstaff, Arizona
Mr. and Mrs. Bert Babbitt drove to Williams Sunday to visit Ramon Aso who is in the hospital there. Mr. Aso is a former well known Flagstaff stockman, and a pioneer resident of Northern Arizona.

(I am not sure of the relationship of the Babbitts to Ramon Aso.)

6 August 1980
Arizona Daily Sun
Flagstaff, Arizona

On the top of the front page reads:

"Charges against youths reduced -- Ramon Aso Dies" (wow, he must have really been someone really important in the community to receive a headline like that!)

Ramon Aso, Area Sheep Rancher, Dies
WILLIAMS (Special) -- Ramon Aso, 73, owner of the Howard Lake Sheep Ranch north of Williams, died in the Williams Hospital last night after a long illness. He was born May 9, 1887 in Spain. (Note: his Draft Card states his birth in Spain on 8 May 1888!!) Survivors include his wife, Cuba Brin, and a son, Tom Allison, of Phoenix. Funeral services are pending. Gibbs Mortuary of Williams is in charge of arrangements. Aso, a pioneer northern Arizona stockman, has a host of friends in this area who will be sorry to learn of his passing. His son arrived here Friday night to be with him. Aso is a relative of Miss Lura Kinsey, well known Flagstaff educator and principal of Marshall School.

8 August 1960
Arizona Daily Sun
Flagstaff, Arizona
Rites Tuesday for Ramon Aso, Pioneer Stockman in Area.
Funeral services will be held Tuesday morning at 11 a.m. from the American Legion Home for Ramon Aso, 72 (now his age fits his Draft Card), pioneer northern Arizona stockman, who died Friday night in the Williams hopsital following a lingering illness. Phil Hollingsworth, chaplain of the Mark A. Moore American Legion Post No. 13, will officate at the service. The Legion will conduct the graveside rites and burial will be in the Flagstaff American Legion cemetery.

Born in Canfranc (Huesea State), Spain, May 8, 1888, he came to the the United States in April of 1906 and settled in Los Angeles, and later that year, he came to Flagstaff. He was associated with Hank Lockett in the sheep business, then for years with Babbitt Brothers. (there is the Babbitt connection).

He loved America and became a naturalized citizen his first opportunity -- later answering the call to colors entering the First World War. In June of 1926, he acquired the Howard Lake Ranch, located on the Grand Canyon Highway north of Williams. It is at this ranch he made his permanent home, until his passing.

He is survived by his second wife, Cuba A., of Williams; a son, Tom Allison; and four grandchildren: Brian, Craig, Melinda Sue and Lori Allison, all of Phoenix.

The body will be in state at the Flagstaff Mortuary Chapel Monday evening from 6 to 8 and again Tuesday morning from 9 to 10:30 so his numerous friends may call.

Pall bearers are Frank Auza, Phillip Escheveria, Ted Babbitt, Juan Gomez, C.B. Wilson Jr., and George McCullough.

Honorary pall bearers are: C.B. Wilson Sr., Tom E. McCullough, E.D. Babbitt, Bert Babbitt, John G. Babbitt, Paul Babbitt, Herb Babbitt, Rob Lockett, D.L. McKinney, H.J. Kielhorn, Bob Diehl, Henry Benham, Leon Jacobs, Colonel Cusils - formerly of NOD(?), Dr. McIntyre, Barry Embach, Ira Montgomery, Oscar Oplinger, Al Legaph, Walter D. Bennett, Sed Isuel, Formin Echeverria, Haley Gonzales, and Jimmy Gonzales.

MY NOTE: I am wondering, since Ramon bought the Howard Lake Ranch, did he change the name to Aso Ranch, did the family or town after he passed or did it keep the Howard Lake Ranch name and because he lived and worked it for so many years and he was well known, it just became the Aso Ranch. Check out some maps to see if you any locations for Howard Lake Ranch.

9 September 1960
Arizona Daily Sun
Flagstaff, Arizona
Cuba Aso filled in the Superior Court of the State of Arizona in and for the County of Coconino, the Last Will and Testament of Ramon Aso. The 26th day of September 1960, was the date set for proving his will in court.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Social Security Death Index
Name: Cuba A. Aso
SSN: 527-56-1743
Born: 13 Apr 1898
Died: 21 Mar 1992
State (Year) SSN issued: Arizona (1957 )

second wife of Ramon Aso

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread