fmurphy

Greenie
Oct 12, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
White's MX SPORT / White's TRX Pointer / SaskHunters Kustom Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone in or near Pocahontas that knows the local laws regarding metal detecting? Will be coming through town early monday evening for work and would love to detect a bit....I know it's probably going to be close to dark. Just curious if anyone close that might want to hunt?
If you are unable to reach me here, please send me a note by email.
[email protected]
Thanks
Frank

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know their laws, but I have detected all over Arkansas and if it isn't posted not to detect or on private property than it has been ok. I have had the police called on me a few times, but there was nothing they could enforce. At least half a dozen towns I checked to see if there was an ordinance against detecting on the easements and they all just head scratch and then say it is ok.

OP
OP
F

fmurphy

Greenie
Oct 12, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
White's MX SPORT / White's TRX Pointer / SaskHunters Kustom Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good deal...appreciate your help. just hope they have a good sense of humor when it gets dark. we prob won't roll into town till about 6 or 7......just hope i can find a well lit park.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanted to add that parks are ok to hunt if there isn't an ordinance posted, but we have a large, very old park close by that doesn't allow it, even though they could not provide me documentation to show. I went to the plan and permits board president and he told me that right off hand, he didn't know or think there was an actual ordinance. They pretty much allow the park to make up their own mind and then they place an order at the place that makes the city's signs and then they add it to the sign along with loud music, cussing and littering. Otherwise, if I didn't see it posted I would play dumb, although in reality I'm dumb for not checking more into it.

Schools are ok to hunt if they are not posted or private or have a locked fence around it. Of course they can make you leave if they feel you are leaving big holes or littering. You kind of just have to go, mind you Ps' and Qs' and if you get told to leave then so be it. I don't go when there are kids around because it can cause concern. I have only been told to leave once on private property (when I THOUGHT my hunting partner had permission), a church (after I had permission by the same person who told me to leave the week before) and people have asked me to not dig in the easement in front of their house.

Last edited:

Thomen

Feb 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time, see if you can search near Rice/Upshaw House.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread