White River

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,ve been reading a book"Steamboats and ferries on White River"that has some really interesting history on early steamboat use there.Also has a chapter on the civil war and steamboat battles and uses during the war.Most of the info is of the upper river above St.Charles.Also references a battle on the river near St.Charles.Might be a good place or places to look if you have access to private property there,a lot of the area described is in the White River Refuge which of course is off limits.Thought I,d mention this and maybe start a little conversation going.Thanks for reading,Jim.

ADHD_Outdoors

Mar 31, 2022
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I,ve been reading a book"Steamboats and ferries on White River"that has some really interesting history on early steamboat use there.Also has a chapter on the civil war and steamboat battles and uses during the war.Most of the info is of the upper river above St.Charles.Also references a battle on the river near St.Charles.Might be a good place or places to look if you have access to private property there,a lot of the area described is in the White River Refuge which of course is off limits.Thought I,d mention this and maybe start a little conversation going.Thanks for reading,Jim.
Crockett's Bluff has a cool history. Not very big and most is privately owned so permissions would need to be gained. Lots of history up that old river. Batesville was "the place" to be back in the 1800s. If you can find a reprint of Wild Sport in the Far West by Frederick gerstaecker, grab it up to get a better understanding of the White. It's my most favorite book.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crockett's Bluff has a cool history. Not very big and most is privately owned so permissions would need to be gained. Lots of history up that old river. Batesville was "the place" to be back in the 1800s. If you can find a reprint of Wild Sport in the Far West by Frederick gerstaecker, grab it up to get a better understanding of the White. It's my most favorite book.
A reprint of that book is available on Amazon for about ten bucks. The ISBN is 9781533340399

Hit "find all editions" and it should turn up.

OP
OP
C

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole Lower White is a much neglected place,I,d imagine because it,s all private property or Federal land.But there,s much history there,from many eras.I,ve been intending to get a copy of Gerstaecker,s book.I believe I,ll do that right soon since I have a unspent Amazon gift card any way.Thanks for the heads up! I,ve spent many a day fishing and hunting or just roaming in The Refuge.Fascinating place! I,d love to take a detector there! But I,m too old to do the time,so!

ADHD_Outdoors

Mar 31, 2022
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The whole Lower White is a much neglected place,I,d imagine because it,s all private property or Federal land.But there,s much history there,from many eras.I,ve been intending to get a copy of Gerstaecker,s book.I believe I,ll do that right soon since I have a unspent Amazon gift card any way.Thanks for the heads up! I,ve spent many a day fishing and hunting or just roaming in The Refuge.Fascinating place! I,d love to take a detector there! But I,m too old to do the time,so!

I spent a few summers fishing the White. A beautiful river. Really damn cold water and big trout.
I'm headed to the White Buffalo in a few weeks with a buddy to camp and fish. Incredible place.

OP
OP
C

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a few summers fishing the White. A beautiful river. Really damn cold water and big trout.
That,s the Upper White,a beautiful place in and of itself and world class trout fishing indeed. The Lower White is an entirely different place,bottomland hardwood,warmwater fishing.Bass,bream,crappie,and about every kind of warmwater fish there is too.So many overflow lakes you can stay there 2 weeks and not fish the same lake twice.Big old catfish in the river and more Kentucky Bass than you can shake a stick at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread