Very old Degas..Need Help.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I bought this for my wife the other day. It belonged to a lady who recently died. I knew it was a Degas and the original is in the Museum in New York city. According to this site http://www.expo-degas.com/1_3.cfm?ID=-1916173151

This one was done in Charcoal. Whatever that means. Ok...Here is where I start talking about this one I have. It is in a really old looking frame. The paper on the back of the frame is real brittle and tearing. The actual painting or whatever it is has brush strokes over the intire painting. It almost looks like it is some type of sealer, lacquer, clear coat. I removed the picture from the frame when i recieved it and noticed that where the actual picture hasn't been exposed to air and the elements, behind the frame on the edges, is in color. The part that has been exposed to air is faded to a gray/yellow and black color. I am guessing the air and elements have aged it. It seems to be on some sort of a hard wood, like board. I was just wondering what you art guys thought about it. How old do you think it is? How long does it take for a piece of artwork to change color like this? I live out in the boonies and really don't have anyone local i could take it to to help me verify how old or how much it is worth. Just take a look at the pictures and tell me what you guys or gals think. Here are the pictures...
IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

Out of the frame notice the edges. Color!!
IMG_0324.jpg

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I bought this cause my wife likes Degas ballerina pictures..

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it signed? i do not see a sig. when you run your hand over it can you feel thepaint?? or is it smooth???...it appears to be a reproduction.i'm NOT saying it is but based on the backing&no sig.(?)it looks like a repo.can you give any more info.? like answers to my questions.i'm going back to read again.oh what is size?

mbbingb

Jul 3, 2007
Tag on back is from a decorating firm, offers a lot of reproductions. I've seen the tag many a time looking for real art, this is just a print.

mbbingb

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mbbingb said:
Tag on back is from a decorating firm, offers a lot of reproductions. I've seen the tag many a time looking for real art, this is just a print.

mbbingb
:thumbsup:i think your RIGHT ON...Welcome to TN!!! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions