Old Oil Painting Renoir

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
In the early 60's my grandpa worked for an eccentric elderly lady . She had traveled the world and had a mansion full of antiques etc. She constantly gave him different crazy items that she and her late husband had collected. When my grandpa died in the 80's ,I recieved this painting (which had been one of her gifts to him) ....(this is a copy I found on ebay)....The oil painting is about 2 x 3 ft. and is in a four inch gilted ornate frame.The painting has hung in my bedroom for years and I never gave it much thought,other than I like it. I guess I never noticed that it was signed Renoir or cared. I know that many art students copied great artists paintings and my question is, would it be worth anything? I know nothing about old paintings and would like a direction to turn. There isnt any student name on the back and its a stretched canvas,kind of crude,like someone made it themselves. Thanks

Attachments

• Nude in arm chair.jpg
    Nude in arm chair.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 6,309
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
CaptainZossima said:
You are soooooooooooooo silly.
:D

Cappy Z.
tell me why ? So I can laugh also !If its a art student copy , are they worth anything?
You are the art find expert here....help me out?

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Well...I am pretty sure it wont be an original.....LOL....just wondering if student copies were worth anything....It can just stay where it is as far as I am concerned...unless of course someone wants to pay big moola for a great fake......

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on now, tell us the truth. It's a portrait of you as a teenager painted by a local artist isn't it. ;D

Uh, looks like you got the "booty" too!

Sorry, got off track here...... I really don't know anything, but I'd bet it would go well in an auction although I'd never sell it. An appraisel might be in order though.

Chris

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
DigginItUp said:
Come on now, tell us the truth. It's a portrait of you as a teenager painted by a local artist isn't it. ;D

Uh, looks like you got the "booty" too!

Sorry, got off track here...... I really don't know anything, but I'd bet it would go well in an auction although I'd never sell it. An appraisel might be in order though.

Chris

Hahahahaha.....Now I am crying! ....The frame is probally worth more....I am trying to upload the original from my stupid camera...but somethings just not right...The original (well my original) just has much more richer colors.....

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Yep...I am pretty convinced that I own the original Renoir and that who ever paid hundreds of thousands for their fakes got gypped...evidently my humble grandfather was actually a famous art smuggler posing as a caretaker and was able to filter millions of dollars of Renoir's,Van Gogh's and Picasso's to his grandchildren...replacing them with fakes...I am sure all the famous art galleries and museums will be sending their people to my door any second...better get home and bake some cookies and open the vaults.....for my pending visitors..... :D

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
Ah, Gypsy . . . . a million here, a million there . . . pretty soon we're talking real money. Will you still remember us here at TN after you sell it and are rich and famous?

Hobo

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
For a very brief moment in my life, I was an art history major. That, and having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express should back up my fine knowldege of such things ;). I realize you're just trying to find out what the hecky-darn you have there. Not an "I'm going to sell it straight away' attitude. I understand. One thing to consider is insurance for such a thing- whether it's an origional or a fine reproduction. So the 'value' of such a thing IS important to know, regardless of your intentions (or what might be thought to be your intentions ;))
As with all things of possible value- VALUE-, it's best-- always best-- to take it to a pro. They can analyze the paint (very important, as paints are made with different bases and substances-- it's nearly alchemy when you come right down to it...different 'special' oils, spit, plant goo-- each 'mix' is unique in the true 'oldies', while the newer stuff is created, for the most part by mass-production- and easily id'ed as such, by an expert). Next, most artists stretched (mounted) their own canvases, so that's not unusual. The edges would be messy because often, they would paint the canvas on a temporary frame. Canvases would be removed, restretched- or rolled up for transport. Signiture is important- and again, can only be discerned by a real pro. Like analyzing handwriting, they can tell, usually, whether a signiture is forged or not- by the brush strokes, the shape and direction of a letter, etc.
Bottom line? If you want to spend some bucks, you can know the truth about your beautiful painting. BUCKS. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
No....Its still hanging in my bedroom and I still like it....I guess I will just pass it on to my children.....and when they find out that its a original ...they will say "Why the heck were we living on Weiner Water Soup all those years?......."

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to the antique road show web site.I think you could send them a picture and they might tell you if it is real.Or take to an art dealer.Big bucks

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
It's pretty, whatever its worth. Enjoy it. But ... stranger things have happened. ;) -Noodle

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna give you one more poke with that stick they have been urging you on with. I know it's a pretty big step because I have been trying to get someone local to check a painting out for me. You have to pay a pretty good sum just to get a pro to look at it. I am going to see if I can find that link I had where they would give a free appraisal. You would have to take close-ups of the signature and so on...I'll get back to you if I can find it.

I found it.....Good luck to you

http://americanartappraisals.com/

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
DANGLANGLEY,
Thanks .....I have it wrapped and packed right now....but I will contact these people....aprreciate the link

Rich Gypsy.....formerly known as gypsyheart.....LOL

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy, You said that the painting was signed RENOIR. When a student coppies a painting he is NOT allowed to copy the signature. So if an old painting is signed, it may be real!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gypsy Heart said:
:o
If I find out this is real I am going to throw pone heck of a Tnet party.......

Yehaw!! Can we have the fancy Kraft macaroni and cheese with the packets of cheese sauce...and cocktail wieners instead of hot dogs?? :icon_queen:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread