art..oil on canvas/m hammond ?

dscott67

Dec 5, 2010
MS.
Detector(s) used
garrett gta 350
art..oil on canvas/m hammond ?

i inherited this painting from my grandparents,it was hanging on the same wall with an original william (woerful) ? painting that was in this house that my great grandfather bought on lake okeechobee fla from the democratic state boss of new york ( late 1800's), and the builder of the first toll rd from lake okeechobee to palm beach (1920's), anyway i have tried to search this artist but i don't think i'm going back far enough but when i do my leads get thin.. m hammond is the best i can do on the sig.... it measures 20 wx22h o/a canvas is 14 w x 16 h approx..... i remember my granpa told me that this was my grandma before he married her,and after that i was scared to death of grandma and her flyswatter !!! (thats a true story) he's gone now but she is still going at 93 and she would even like to know who this artist is......thanks for any info and facts ya'll can offer !!!

Attachments

• DSC02733.JPG
    DSC02733.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC02734.JPG
    DSC02734.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 399
  • DSC02735.JPG
    DSC02735.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC02736.JPG
    DSC02736.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC02732.JPG
    DSC02732.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 404
OP
OP
dscott67

dscott67

Dec 5, 2010
MS.
Detector(s) used
garrett gta 350
Re: art..oil on canvas/m hammond ?

any ideas on the time period for the frame ? it looks around 19 century to me ... :dontknow:

Oct 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an oil on canvas by the same artist. I recognized the back and then the signature. I know nothing about the artist nor do I remember where I got the painting. I am on Long Island, NY.

Mhammond back.jpg mhammond front sig.jpg mhammond front.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dscott67

dscott67

Dec 5, 2010
MS.
Detector(s) used
garrett gta 350
im sorry i missed your thread entry..the home that william and grace conners resided in and eventually donated to a cancer society? is i believe to be on long island to this day.. But yes that is the same painter and signature..you can google william j (fingy) conners and you can find the house in that info..and the house that my family purchased from him is also in the readings..if you would let me know what else you find,i do have other info but its nothing new.. finding #grace hammond conners after she moved to california has been the difficult part and almost nothing on her there.....lol, my grandmother is still going strong an i would love to share new info with her,they were married there and my mother was born in the lakehouse...great photos btw

Oct 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, if I understand, you got your painting in Florida, but it was in a house owned by a former Long Island resident? How is grace Hammod Connors related to M Hammond? Do you know what time frame these were painted or what the M stands for? This was the first time I tried looking up anything about it and your post was the only thing I found. How is Grace related? I see a 1931 newspaper article about her. I see Grace said her father was S Hammond

Last edited:
OP
OP
dscott67

dscott67

Dec 5, 2010
MS.
Detector(s) used
garrett gta 350
Thats correct. My great grandfather E.O.Watford Sr purchased the house from William J Conners and Isabel Grace Conners.Their residence was located in Huntington,Long Island Harbor and it was named "The Monastary" ( it actually was said to have headstones for flooring) .It was donated by Mrs. Conners for cancer research. I dont know if there is a connection between the painter and her maiden name but thought it was quite peculiar.Hardl any Info. on her after she moved to California.. She is also on the cover of Time Magazine,..May..1931 and several news article in different locations on various to do's..The M has befundled me for years but i had often thought that it was possible to be Matthias Hammond but i could never make the connection.. As far as i know you and i are the only 2 known to my knowledge to own this painters work.. Maybe we could do a 2fer auction at sothbeys for a quenchable sum...:laughing7: I would be glad to share any other info i have..

OP
OP
dscott67

dscott67

Dec 5, 2010
MS.
Detector(s) used
garrett gta 350
I have also contacted several Artists with this last name and still no connection could be made to them as decendents which has mostly lead me to a conclusion that this painter is possibly a female.. Its has been a very interesting search for me and has lead me down a long road..I still check in for new info on the internet from time to time,you never know whos looking for who..!

OP
OP
dscott67

dscott67

Dec 5, 2010
MS.
Detector(s) used
garrett gta 350
Just droppin a line to see if you've made any headway with any research on your painting.. Thanks,, David

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread