True story - Benrnard Buffet

P

pokerbear

I was at a garage sale in Michigan last year and found a painting by Bernard Buffet. I didn't know anything about it or about him but it looked important so I bought it for $1.00. I took it to an art dealer in Grand Rapids and he let me know how stupid I was...It wasn't a painting...It was a print worth about a dollar...but here's the rub, he paid me $35.00 for the oak frame that surrounded it. Lesson learned, treasure is where you find it!

T

TreasureTales

pokerbear said:
....Lesson learned, treasure is where you find it!

Treasure is where you find it....that's the lesson you learned? Oh please tell me you learned more than that. Did you learn about the frame so that you'll know to buy another one when you have the opportunity? Did you learn how to distinguish between a painting and a print? Did you learn to never accept the first offer from a dealer? Did you learn what he was going to charge for the frame? Learning these things would be much more valuable to you in the future than merely, "treasure is where you find it."

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I try to buy oil paintings cheap. When i build up a bunch I set up at an antique show and sell them. You can make a good profit doing it. Plus you get to dabble in the art world cheap.

T

TreasureTales

snake35 said:
I try to buy oil paintings cheap. When i build up a bunch I set up at an antique show and sell them. You can make a good profit doing it. Plus you get to dabble in the art world cheap.

Hmmm, very interesting. Do you ever keep any for your own personal enjoyment? I know if I ever came across a cheap California landscape painting, I'd be unwilling to part with it.

OP
OP
P

pokerbear

Thank you Treasure Tales...the dealer taught me how to look at the piece with a loupe to see the pattern of dots so I did learn that, and yes, now I do look for frames as well. I missed that one about not accepting the first offer, i guess maybe the frame could have been even more valuable than that, thanks for the tutoring :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread