Russian Lacquer Box Help

Nerves82

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this box not knowing the value or craftsmanship of it. Upon further research I discovered that is a hand made Russian lacquer box. I would like help identifying the artist and getting a sense of its value. All the artwork is obviously hand painted and the gold raised making it seem like gold leaf. The scroll work along the edge is hand painted as well. All indications point to it being authentic. Does anyone have any info that would help me? Thanks so much.

DSC_0068.JPG DSC_0069.JPG DSC_0070.JPG DSC_0072.JPG DSC_0073.JPG DSC_0067 (2).JPG DSC_0068 (2).JPG

Last edited:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were very common in Soviet times, at least in the 70's. Something like your box would have cost about $10, but have heard the prices have risen dramatically since then. I also have a couple, but I just like to look at the artwork, not for sale.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think there are any cheap hand painted boxes on the market. If there were cheap ones, then they would have to be printed, not hand painted. These type of lacquered boxes were in all the souvenir shops in the USSR. They were not junk, then, and I have never seen any copies. Looks like you have the signature of the person that made it, but im sure they were made in a kolholze, so there were dozens or maybe even hundreds of people making these in Russia, no "famous" painters, but they were all craftsmen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread