TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Fellow TNetters,
Looking for a little help/advice for a recent find/gift. A family friend of my parents has decided to retire and head off to the sunny beaches of Florida. While assisting him with packing, etc he presented my parents with a piece of art that belonged to his first wife. He stated that he never cared for it; but that his first wife was into collecting art and he knows it has some value. He does not wish to bring it with him and told us that its ours, so we brought it home and I started the usual google search on things.
I see that the artist is well known and some of his works are indeed high up in the $ range. The particular piece we have though has some damage to it. Not being an art guy (prefer to be on the beach with my fisher cz-21), I have no clue what we should do with this piece. Not looking to keep it, not sure about the value of it and don't wish to get ripped off if it indeed has some value. So I figure let me reach out to those that have the experience and the know how to steer me through these murky waters. :notworthy:

Here are the pics: The piece is framed in what appears to be quality framing, is numbered 8/95 and has the artists signature in pencil in the lower right. The dots seen on the image with the numbering are just spots on the frame's glass and are not on the art itself. The only damage that I can see on the work is shown in the last image. I uploaded the highest quality pic that I could take, so please go ahead and click on it to view the full size image to assess the damage.

calder1.jpg

caldersignature.jpg

numbered.jpg

damage.jpg

Any help is very much appreciated, especially on whether or not we should look to get this repaired (can it get repaired?), does the piece have any value the way it is? does anyone know a reputable dealer/collector in NY (preferably Long Island) that would be willing to see the piece and possibly sell/purchase it?, etc.

Once again, I can't thank you all in advance for any help and for taking a look.

May you all find the treasure you are looking for soon!
TwoYewts

OP
OP
TwoYewts

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone...I'll gladly take even just opinions. Just not sure what to do as I know the piece has some value.

Thanks again!
TwoYewts

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
It appears to be a hand signed limited edition print of "Pyramids" painted by Alexander Calder in 1970. Obviously number 8 of 95.

The rough estimated value would be around $4000 if it were in perfect condition. But with the damage, who knows.

OP
OP
TwoYewts

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. Been asking around town to see if anyone appraisers are recommended. If anything comes of it, I'll update the post.

Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread