• pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 394

PilchuckPete

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Still shopping for one!
Looks like one to hang onto until you can get it apraised.

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Hey PilchuckPete...welcome to Tnet...and thanks for making your first post a reply to my find...Took a quick look at your web site...nice stuff, as you can see by the posts in this section of Tnet, not a lot of activity here...but I try and check it out when I have "extra" time...you should post some of your stuff over in the My Daily Snapshot section, lots of art and pics get posted there...but anyway back to my etching(?)...any reason to think it might have some value?....any ideas on where I could bring it where someone might be able to identify the artist?...again, thanks for the reply and if you got any questions about detectors, just ask..lots of knowledgeable people here....and most are pretty friendly.. :) ps I'm no artist but I did make the bird in my avatar....

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
[
Cappy Z. said:
Here is a link to an English site. There are similar ink drawings of the Knox House..and I believe the unintelligiable signiture is the same.

HH

Cap Z.

http://www.rubylane.com/ni/shops/tomjudy/iteml/4224-2#pic1

Cappy - The artist on that one is T.A. Walker. , I don't think it's the same name.

I found a dozen photos, paintings, drawings of the same house - an extreamly popular topic to paint while in Edinburgh Scotland and it may well be your artist is an unknown...

Or, it was bought after the death of said artist. My best guess at an artist is Robert Winthrop Chanler (1872 - 1930). If he drew that and prints were made, it well could have been bought in 1947 IMO.

PilchuckPete

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Still shopping for one!
Hi Copperhead... Thank'zZ! ...It does look like an etching to me. The fact that it is at least 60 years old and signed by the artist makes it a "keeper" for sure. The quality of work is outstanding. You might hunt out some art related forums on the net and post it there... Maybe an eBay board or... I think there is a "help identify artist" board at the Wet Canvas forum here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/ --not sure...

:)

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Montana Jim said:
[
Cappy Z. said:
Here is a link to an English site. There are similar ink drawings of the Knox House..and I believe the unintelligiable signiture is the same.

HH

Cap Z.

http://www.rubylane.com/ni/shops/tomjudy/iteml/4224-2#pic1

Cappy - The artist on that one is T.A. Walker. , I don't think it's the same name.

I found a dozen photos, paintings, drawings of the same house - an extreamly popular topic to paint while in Edinburgh Scotland and it may well be your artist is an unknown...

Or, it was bought after the death of said artist. My best guess at an artist is Robert Winthrop Chanler (1872 - 1930). If he drew that and prints were made, it well could have been bought in 1947 IMO.

MJ...I think you may be right...I'm going to see what else I can find out, thanks for the lead...I should have posted it in Whatsit...

PilchuckPete said:
Hi Copperhead... Thank'zZ! ...It does look like an etching to me. The fact that it is at least 60 years old and signed by the artist makes it a "keeper" for sure. The quality of work is outstanding. You might hunt out some art related forums on the net and post it there... Maybe an eBay board or... I think there is a "help identify artist" board at the Wet Canvas forum here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/ --not sure...

:)

Thanks for the link Pete...I'll check it out..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread