Help With Art Terminology PLEASE

Oct 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!

I'm optimistic that the community will help explain the several types of Fine Art Terminology. I fully understand "Original" Artist Signed works, but hoping to clarify pieces beyond that.

Specifically, I'd like to know what the following terms mean with regard to works of art.

1) "School Of xxxxx"
2) "Academy Of xxxxx"
3) "Attributed To xxxxx"

Whereas "xxxx" represents an artists name.

Unfortunately, In all my years of collecting fine art, I haven't been able to find a clearly defined explanation regarding these terms... and honestly I've steered clear of anything other than confirmed Original Artists' work. I have my assumptions on what each one is... however, I want to get other, more qualified, opinions and appreciate everyone's explanations and feedback!

Thank You for your time and I look forward to hearing back soon!

Cheers!
ClevelandFinds via Etsy

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"School" in this case means "style". There were certain areas and eras where a few or a bunch of artists in an area and era painted in similar styles. All paintings in a given "school" would have been from the same area and time period or era. Many famous artists and valuable paintings are from various "schools" so the term is applicable to and usually applied to signed paintings by known artists although it is also sometimes loosely used on unsigned art. Google up "Hudson River School" of art, or "Old Lyme School" of art and you should get the gist of it.

Academy is not a term in art I am familiar with other than used to describe an art academy an artist attended such as the Chicago Academy of Fine Art or the Art Student's League of New York. My father attended both of these places and my sisters and I were trained at home in art history and my mother was an art teacher.

Attributed to is definitely a grey area and I personally think it is used by some auction houses to get a better price on unsigned art. It can be used and often is used to describe earlier unsigned works that VERY closely resemble work by a known artist of that era, and sometimes the attribution is correct. Things such as palette, brush strokes, medium, even occasionally framing of paintings are used to determine attributions. If you are unfamiliar with terms like palette, brush strokes, or medium you need more study in the field, and I am surprised you do not know the terms you ask for definitions of if you have "years" of collecting fine art. Perhaps some courses in art history at a local college may help you in your endeavors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Oct 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I'm not sure whether to be offended or grateful for your extensive, and knowledgeable response. I was intrigued up until the last statement where I should basically be ashamed at the lack of "knowledge" you demonstrate! My apologies for stating that I have "years" of experience in collecting fine art, as I'm clearly not to your level.

Nevertheless, thanks for the information and please accept my gratitude.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry, I never implied any "shame". Many local colleges have art history courses and if you are serious about collecting art I merely suggested you take some and better educate yourself in the field. Knowledge is power, and one needs to know what to look at and for in any collecting endeavor.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Art ain't easy. An art appreciation course or time spent with a docent at a museum helps fill in missing information.
Signing art is historically fairly recent. Even when signing there not always legible. You say you collect only confirmed artist's work. I suggest your missing most of the fun because a lot of artists are ruined by success. They begin to pastiche or copy previous styles because it's expected and it sells. For collectors, they buy for recognition.
Like gunsil wrote as to the "school" those works are probably the easiest to id. Like Dadaism, abstract expressionism etc.
Because they can often be dated and that puts an investigation closer. Art styles will come into favor with collectors and also artists.
Some artists are more influential than others. Some have a following that might become important. When a school does evolve
with a following of other artists the work can be very competitive.
Collectors would luv to get ahead of the curve as far as anticipating what new school will be important. They want to buy before the artists are "discovered". That's a good trick as it doesn't involve a known artist. It involves being able to "see" art. Most collectors never will and gravitate to what they are familiar with or by not challenging themselves and will collect what they like. Great collections start with not knowing for sure if it's important or not. Just an educated hunch and a lot of exposure to all kinds of expressions.
Personally, I'm ok with two dimensions but stumble a bit with three. Sculpture, for me is more problematic. The connections have to be made in the brain and that takes effort and time. It's all worthwhile. I'm still working on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread