Middle East
Detector(s) used
OKM and MineLab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Attached three pictures:
1. Of the painting, showing the signature at bottom left corner;
2. Of the dimensions;
3. Of the two stamps on its back: one of the Louvre Museum, and one of the Kuwait Museum.

Its story: was taken off the wall from inside the Kuwait Museum by an Iraqi officer in 1991; then an Iraqi businessman bought it from that officer. The buyer passed away and his family wants to sell it.

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a charter membership and build up some trust here!

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will wire you a buck fifty in genuine American dollars, send me your passport number and bank routing number right away.......:icon_thumright:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will wire you a buck fifty in genuine American dollars, send me your passport number and bank routing number right away.......:icon_thumright:

I don't think The_Pro is saying he has or is Selling it.
I believe he is just being a Member & sharing Info. History & a photo.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fake as the day is long. Not a Picasso, not even close, and the "Louvre" stamp on the back is definitely fake. The French spell museum "musee". I have been there and they do not use a mark like that.

OP
OP
T

The_Pro

Oct 13, 2017
Middle East
Detector(s) used
OKM and MineLab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have no idea if it's genuine or not... I shared information... I have never seen the stamp of Louvre Museum before... The family has the painting for sure, so it's definitely not the one taken by Special Forces in Iraq... But that article was super useful: now, I will tell them that experts estimate the value of their painting as $10 million, in analogy to what that article says.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't matter if it's real or not as stolen property is still stolen. The family has no legal right to ownership and no right to possess it or sell it.
Remember when the Nazi's tried that trick about to the victor go the spoils. Not so in International Law.

OP
OP
T

The_Pro

Oct 13, 2017
Middle East
Detector(s) used
OKM and MineLab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iraq has compensated Kuwait for all war damages, so Kuwait cannot make any claim about this.
Also, when a man dies, where on Earth it happens that his heirs look for proofs of ownership of what they find in his storage! The way I see it: the family owns it. And the bottom line is: if they don't sell it, the painting will disappear... So?

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iraq has compensated Kuwait for all war damages, so Kuwait cannot make any claim about this.
Also, when a man dies, where on Earth it happens that his heirs look for proofs of ownership of what they find in his storage! The way I see it: the family owns it. And the bottom line is: if they don't sell it, the painting will disappear... So?

Since I live in the U.S., I don't feel I need to force u.s. Laws & beliefs on other Countries residents.

And "Politics" aside since Politics are not allowed here ...

:coffee2:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing some tidying up of old unidentified works.

The painting is a loose copy of the “Venus of Urbino”, painted by Titian between 1532 and 1534. It’s not unknown for art museums to commission copies of masterpieces in the collections of other museums to enhance their own displays, but this isn’t an exact copy. The background details have been altered by the copyist. The original is currently in the Galleria degli Uffizi in Florence, Italy:

Venus.jpg

I’ve never seen a Louvre mark like that (and as said, anglicised as “Museum” rather than the French “Musée”) but, since the mark includes a depiction of the Eiffel Tower, it can’t be from before 1889.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread