Information about an artist

tucker2024

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi can anyone help me, I have recently come across some paintings and know nothing about the artist could someone on here give me information
The first one looks to be signed by w.irwin
The second one looks like benny bwious

It's quite hard to make out and I can't upload pictures can anyone help with that

Cheers

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Without pics, this may be a difficult ID.
Are there any labels on the reverse that might help you (and us)?
Can you describe the images on the paintings?
Don.................

OP
OP
T

tucker2024

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6403.JPG it has let me upload the picture this time, this is one of them

Thanks

OP
OP
T

tucker2024

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6405.JPG
And here are the other two any help would be great

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing some tidying up of old unidentified works.

Can’t help on the seascapes, but the street scene is by the French artist Bernard Dufour (1922 – 2016). After WWII he copied works by Michelangelo and Tintoretto in the Louvre and later signed an exclusive contract with the art dealer Pierre Loeb following his first solo exhibition in 1948. From 1960 onwards he turned his hand to self-portraits, mournful figures and scandalous nudes but churned out a lot of charming street scenes like yours to provide an income stream. Often there are multiple versions the same scene with minor variations in the buildings and architecture.

An original might fetch between $100-150 but numerous prints also exist with minimal value.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi tucker2024
This painting appears to be: THIS LARGE CLIPPER SAILING SHIP AT SEA OIL ON CANVAS PAINTING SIGNED BY ARTIST AMBROSE

Attachments

• Sailing Ship.jpg
    Sailing Ship.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 3

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi tucker2024,
I saw you wanted info on artist:
Born in 1931 in Brierley Hill, and educated locally, artist John Ambrose loved art as a child and had an ability to paint and draw from an early age. He went on to study art and was much influenced by D A Chatterton of Plymouth, although his early adult life was spent as an engineer.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi tucker2024,
I saw you wanted info on artist:
Born in 1931 in Brierley Hill, and educated locally, artist John Ambrose loved art as a child and had an ability to paint and draw from an early age. He went on to study art and was much influenced by D A Chatterton of Plymouth, although his early adult life was spent as an engineer.

It's not even close to John Ambrose's signature and equally far removed from the quality of his work,

Ambrose.jpg

The quality is in the territory of commercial wall art sold at pop-up venues in shopping malls and such. "Ambrose" is likely to be a fictitious studio name with no corrsponding biography for an actual artist.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not even close to John Ambrose's signature and equally far removed from the quality of his work,

View attachment 2121353

The quality is in the territory of commercial wall art sold at pop-up venues in shopping malls and such. "Ambrose" is likely to be a fictitious studio name with no corrsponding biography for an actual artist.
No problem!...You are the one for this!....just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread