Matador

stilldigging

Greenie
Aug 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0C57AA53-6A8E-494E-AC0D-AAA6F4FBBD0C.jpeg

My dad bought this early 70ā€™s , no clue what worth.Got some other art in storage I need to retrieve and will post more pics here, any help, thank you.

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those were big in the 70's likely a print or a printed painting.

The smaller pieces prints of low value

Not sure about the Asian stuff but doesn't look like anything much to me but my knowledge of that is very low.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look closely, your matador ā€˜paintingā€™ is signed ā€œLee Burrā€ at the bottom left, which is ostensibly ā€œLee Reynolds Burrā€ of Los Angeles (1936 ā€“ 2017). It was likely produced in the very late 1960s or early 1970ā€™s but itā€™s not an original work. Burr was Chairman of the East Park Gallery in LA for some years and also a director of Vanguard Studios founded in Beverley Hills in Los Angeles in 1964, based at Artisan House. Between them, these establishments churned out more works with a single artistā€™s ā€™signatureā€™ than for any other artist in known history. Vanguard was also the worldā€™s largest distributor of decorative art at the time. Burr himself painted almost none of the work.

Burr clarified in his later years that, although he had produced (no more than) 200 original paintings and sculptures, both East Park and Vanguard employed student artists to churn out derivative copies of these works as ā€œsofa artā€, using truncated versions of his name as Lee Reynolds, Lee Burr, and also the spurious names Stuart and Van Gaard. The duplicates were often done using a base background layer of acrylics, with line-work from the master original applied using a silkscreen technique. Details were then added to the screened lines to create a raised effect and the finished product sprayed with an oil sealant to create the impression of an original oil painting.

According to Burr, he was responsible for many of the designs, prototypes and compositions used as masters, but the works sold by Vanguard were the product of studio artists and sold only as ā€˜decorative artā€™, not ā€˜collector artā€™. Nothing signed ā€œLee Burrā€ and done at Vanguard Studios, ever touched his hand. Paintings signed ā€œLee Burrā€ and done at East Park Gallery only rarely touched his hand. He said that almost all of them were produced by his assistant at the time: Rudolpho Carlos, in response to commissions from art dealers. Almost any size and colouration you wanted, as interpretations of an example work executed entirely by Burr himself. Only a very few of these examples from East Park painted by him and with a ā€œLee Burrā€ signature ever reached the market, largely because they had accumulated stray paint spatters over the years while they were being copied and were mostly unsaleable.

At the time, those (very rare) examples were referred to as ā€œseries originalsā€ and sold for about $1,000-$2,000, versus two or three digit prices for the duplicates. Yours will be one of the cheaper imitation oil paintings from a Vanguard studio worker.

In later years, to eliminate confusion, Burr signed all of his originals with his full name ā€œLee Reynolds Burrā€ and then later still added a thumb print alongside the signature.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ballet artwork is a print from "Gina" and popularly known as a "Gina Ballerina". They're usually signed "Gina" at the bottom, but I can't see it. I have no idea who Gina was (or even if she was a real person/artist), but these were mass-produced in the 1960's, usually printed on textured board and sold ready-framed in department stores in both oblong and oval formats. There was a companion print to this one with the dancers facing the other direction and often sold as a pair. An 8 x 6 inch singleton would have cost you 25 cents in Woolworths originally. It looks incredibly dirty, perhaps as a result of not having any glass (?)... the original colours were in attractive pastel shades. I think you'll find the frame is plastic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread