Landscape, Oil, Maybe Barbizon ??, on Devoe Academy board.

siz3petite

Apr 10, 2006
Southwest Sunny Florida
Found this painting in my parents basement. It's not in the best of shape but it still has the original frame. Oil on F.W. Devoe Academy Board label on back. There is some penciling on back but I couldn't make it out. It seems to be a Barbizon style landscape. ?? I don't know what to think of it. I don't see a a signature. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• landscape.jpg
    landscape.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,998
  • landscapeback.jpg
    landscapeback.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 3,078

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know sometimes artists didnt sign paintings when they 1st started but yours looks kinda familiar but i cant place it. There are many artists its hard to tell. Did your parents buy it?

OP
OP
siz3petite

siz3petite

Apr 10, 2006
Southwest Sunny Florida
Most likely my parents picked it up at a yard sale or something. With seven kids, they didn't part with a spare nickel. They lived in IL. My dad passed over 25 years ago and it's been hanging in a corner of the basement. I've been searching for similar art but to no avail. Someday soon, I'll put it under my microscope to see if I can decipher some to the writing or find an obsure signature. Thanks for your thoughts. N.

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Nice painting, noted art expert author of many books and weekly art columns can tell you exactly everything you want to know with a couple of good digital photo. I think his online appraisals last time I got one was $50 he will give you artist, style, value etc. and he is a top figure in the art world. His web site is artbusiness.com and you could get your way around from there. Good Luck!!!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy is right, i have found some great deals on oils because i liked um and the price.I think mine are still in art paintings take a look. 8)

wmjrdn

May 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this painting in my parents basement. It's not in the best of shape but it still has the original frame. Oil on F.W. Devoe Academy Board label on back. There is some penciling on back but I couldn't make it out. It seems to be a Barbizon style landscape. ?? I don't know what to think of it. I don't see a a signature. Any thoughts?

The Devoe logo on the back of the painting could not have been used before 1892.

Jul 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Devoe Academy Board / Spicer ?

here is the Picture my Mother has found in her collections, name on it is Spicer can I get some info plz

Attachments

• Spicer Devoe.jpg
    Spicer Devoe.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions