watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's an original Robert Wood oil, grab it. . . if it's not, go with the Myers.

Take care,
watercolor

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife said no but i dont always listen to the warden. Who would think fine art would be in a thrift shop. :)

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was to good to be true. An art dealer was in the thrift shop the same time i was this morning good thing.The Robert Wood was a fake the dealer told me. Seems the signature was not authentic. Thats OK the Mark Myers print was still there and i was going to buy it for $9.00. Don the dealer took out a manifying glass and looked at the signature on the print. He gave it to me and said what do you see? Well what i saw was dots. >:( He said this is not an original print sorry. He laughed and gave me his card. The card read Bell Antiques. I guess i was saved by the Bell. :D I think i will stick to coins from now on.....aa

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
It was to good to be true. An art dealer was in the thrift shop the same time i was this morning good thing.The Robert Wood was a fake the dealer told me. Seems the signature was not authentic. Thats OK the Mark Myers print was still there and i was going to buy it for $9.00. Don the dealer took out a manifying glass and looked at the signature on the print. He gave it to me and said what do you see? Well what i saw was dots. >:( He said this is not an original print sorry. He laughed and gave me his card. The card read Bell Antiques. I guess i was saved by the Bell. :D I think i will stick to coins from now on.....aa

Glad to hear you were saved by the Bell. . . with the quality of off-set printing nowadays, a pocket magnifying glass can be a great help in determining if a piece like that is original.

Take care & HH!

RoniB

Mar 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
aa battery said:
Do i buy a signed print from Mark Myers or a landscape oil by Robert Wood both are in a thrift shop for $20 a piece.Got to bust a move in the morning.

LMBO!! I almost poo'd my pants when I saw Robert Woods. I understand there are a lot of Robert Woods imposters out there. Unfortunate. Takes a lot of thrill out of stumbling on his style and a signature that looks like his. I just ran into a fake last week.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would spend the $20 after making sure it was a real oil. Then go home and do a signature analysis before i would take the word of a buyer, antique dealer. That piece is gone now as he got it without competition. There are a couple of Robert Wood. There is a Robert Woods, Robert William Wood(signed, Robt Wood), Robert E.Wood, and a Robert Sydney Rendell Wood, All of them Signed Robert Wood with the exception of the most valuable and that is Robert William Wood.........Ask yourself this next time, would a person coming into this thrift store who is a antiques and art dealer give you a fair assessment of that piece brushing by what he knows of it and let you get it? I don't think so you had no knowledge of the artist, he did. You were interested in the piece he had to show you he was not and get you to let it go. What better way then to tell someone who doesn't know about art and signatures that it is a fake. You walk out of there without it, he does not!!!!! That piece is now in his hands. I hope i'm wrong but this whole story with him does not sound right. I'd go back to see if it is still there...........................................GTP

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy a lot of art, prints especially, and the single most valuable advice I can give is to carry magnifier with you and check out the print or painting closely before buying. Secondly, research what the different types of prints look like under magnification. The first type of print to identify is a newspaper photo, an excellent example of off-set typography.
As for what you can find in a thrift store, my Basan edition Rembrandt came from a thrift shop for $3. As long as you are paying only thrift shop or garage sale prices, you can afford to make a lot of errors, if just one out of a hundred turns out to be a winner. All the losers are valuable learning tools.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions