Cleaned out Grandpas house.....ew

Jan 5, 2008
Brazoria County, TX
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-30, X-505
Cleaned out Grandpa's house.....ew

A little history....My grandfather was a hoarder. He collected and kept EVERTHING. When he died last year, the family wanted to just bulldoze the house....as is. The house was built in the 1830's...BEAUTIFUL. Unfortunately it did get bulldozed (family said the stench would never come out) but not before my husband and I went through as much as we could. Not only was my grandfather a hoarder of things, but of animals too. I cannot even describe the disgust. We had to walk over 4ft of stuff and just start digging. We were amazed to put it lightly.....It took a long time and we found alot. Armoire, sideboard, table, chairs, dishes, coins, stamps, boxes, clocks, paintings, sketches, prints, dolls, toys, .....A full storage building, bought only to hold what we took from there. Truckloads. BUT it was all soooo nasty, it had to air out for months and ALOT of cleaning had to be done. We worked on the big pieces first....to get them in the house. And the paintings and sketches. We sold some crystal cut to clear on ebay...and some silver items. I have no idea how old this stuff is, so i thought i would start a little at a time....and see if you know anything about it. I am still researching. If you have anything you collect or want to ask about...please please let me know. I can take pictures. I hate to sell this stuff in a garage sale to people who dont have a clue or appreciate its value. We have already taken all the sentimental stuff. Ok here are a few sketches and paintings i have....

Attachments

• everything 100.JPG
    everything 100.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 631

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cleaned out Grandpa's house.....ew

Have you looked up the artists names to see if they were famous? neat paintings ya got there..

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Been there done that and its not easy to seperate good stuff from bad but you always hear stories of people finding rare things.aa

arkhunter

Jun 12, 2006
little rock,arkansas
Detector(s) used
whites-garret

i know what you mean ...better than most........about the animals....dad who was a vet...had a lady customer that had cats......lots of them...75-100 and two black chows kept in the kitchen,always...we had to go in for the animals...after her daughter came from out east to take her away.......weeks of evenings digging through that house....finding good stuff....but nasty.

john

angelus

Greenie
Feb 8, 2008
Peaks Island, Maine
Detector(s) used
mine

I love the one with the thick paint. When you stick stuff on Ebay, could you maybe put a link on here for us?

Thanks,
Angelus

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

angelus said:
I love the one with the thick paint. When you stick stuff on Ebay, could you maybe put a link on here for us?

Thanks,
Angelus

Since you are a charter member there is a section where charter members can post links to their ebay auctions....might be a good idea so that folks like Angelus can find the auctions of the stuff they like. Good luck!

siz3petite

Apr 10, 2006
Southwest Sunny Florida
I lived that nightmare.

When my parents passed, I had the nightmare of cleaning out 60 years of accumulated stuff. It was difficult and emotionally draining. There were sad memories and happy ones buried within mountains of junk. Some things had value, but mostly not. My parents were poor their entire lives but they were wonderful. It was a love-hate task.

OP
OP
jeffandmistie(TEXAS)
Jan 5, 2008
Brazoria County, TX
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-30, X-505

sorry, weve been away for awhile. thanks guys. i will definitely let you know if we put them on ebay. hopefully we have time to go through the shed soon. i cant even remember whats out there anymore!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread