Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some things that when you look close you'll, say, yeah, we see why that ain't gonna see the light of day. Except here. If I find an artist I like I try to copy one of their works so I can get the feel for the technique, then apply it to somethin else. The horse warrior is when I was studyin Comanche artist Rance Hood, who is a master in conveying motion, so I tried copyin some of his work. (he's one of the most copied, or ripped off, artists in that genre) Compare his to mine and you will see he is still safely the master of motion. The girl is from Paul Goble, my all time favorite illustrator/artist. An Englishman who moved to the Black Hills and just took over depicting that northern plains culture. His books are great, search em up and buy em all. I like what he does with composition, color, design; just everything really. If I could paint like him, I'd do it all day long. This girl is my interpretation of his illustration from the book 'Love Flute'. Pretty close and gettin there. Most of these are tempera (some acrylic) on matte board. I do not like shiny, but if you use tempera and want shiny you can spray a coat of hairspray on it. You might think 'airbrush' which I do got one, but I prefer those 97 cent cans of flat spray paint. I also use a toothbrush for splattering paint.

Attachments

• 2-18e.jpg
    2-18e.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 2-18f.jpg
    2-18f.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 2-18c.jpg
    2-18c.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 2-18d.jpg
    2-18d.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 138

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff rg. I especially like the one with the horse. What media you using? Nice, bright color, kinda looks like oil pencils or chalks. If these are the rejects, the keepers must be fantastic! :)

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha, thanks! They're mostly rejects because a couple are direct copies of published works. I had one art class in college where the instructor set up some old Rembrandt and told us "Do that." So you had a big part of the class that went for a direct art forger interpretation and a precious few who took it and gave it their own intrepretation, which is what he was lookin for, but everybody learned somethin. The horse is done on matte board, about 12"x20", using tempera, pen and ink, acrylic, Sam's Choice spray paint, and a half roll of masking tape. The cow skull is actually a design from a shirt I have. It would work better with a Texas flag, I think. The Aztec thing, the Quetzal bird, well just a time killer. Plus my step-son's name is Quetzal.

DiggerB

Feb 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker VI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the one with the horse. I have always wished I could draw (can't draw a straight. line without a ruler). I do whittle a little. Have done a couple of Santas for family.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread