Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
High Dynamic Resolution (HDR) photography can give some spectacular results. It involves taking several pics at different exposures and then doing an HDR merge.

The original photo (only the normal exposure shown here, not the darker or lighter versions)

lucas_pond_original.jpg

and this is the HDR version after the merge ...

LucasPond_2014.JPG

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHAHAHAHA Your thread is right on top of another:

Search Results   TreasureNet   The Original Treasure Hunting Website.jpeg

...and I read it as "Anyone Else Play With Old Swingers?" HAHAHA

Mike

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have the automatic version on my Sony Nex6. It takes an image biased for the light areas and an image biased for the shadows and merges them to produce a high dynamic range image. Haven't had a chance to really play with it yet. That camera has so many things you can adjust. I read the manual from cover to cover. By the time I got to the end, I had forgotten the beginning. It's one of those mirrorless interchangeable lens small cameras. You might say, it's to variable! Frank

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Same with mine Frankn ... took me a while to figure out how to make the thing do what I want.

I use either three or five bracketed shots for HDR.

I have found another process to bring out the best in photos I already have. I use paintshop pro x8, but this will work with almost any photo editor.

Open the pic, make two duplicate layers.

On the top layer apply a very small amount of gausian blur or high pass sharpen. Then set the blend mode to soft light and hide the layer.

On the middle layer, I use the channel mixer but you could just "convert to greyscale" and then adjust contrast. When you're satisfied, set opacity to somewhere between 10 and 30 percent, "to taste" as they would say.

Now, make the top layer visible again and go to the bottom layer and make adjustments until you get the effect you like. Things like vibrancy etc. can do some interesting stuff.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Same with mine Frankn ... took me a while to figure out how to make the thing do what I want.

I use either three or five bracketed shots for HDR.

I have found another process to bring out the best in photos I already have. I use paintshop pro x8, but this will work with almost any photo editor.

Open the pic, make two duplicate layers.

On the top layer apply a very small amount of gausian blur or high pass sharpen. Then set the blend mode to soft light and hide the layer.

On the middle layer, I use the channel mixer but you could just "convert to greyscale" and then adjust contrast. When you're satisfied, set opacity to somewhere between 10 and 30 percent, "to taste" as they would say.

Now, make the top layer visible again and go to the bottom layer and make adjustments until you get the effect you like. Things like vibrancy etc. can do some interesting stuff.

That sounds good, but on the old images, I tend to take the easy route in Elements. I open the image and select edit. I select adjust lighting. I adjust levels first pulling in the two end sliders to match the curve above. I then adjust the middle slider (for best presentation). Next I adjust the shadows to bring out max detail in them. I then adjust highlights to kill any glare in them. Next is brightness and contrast which balance ( against each other). I wind up with an image near HDR. Hay, it's fast.

I use the magic extractor to pull out something from a layer to add to another image. Gracie never saw this goose.
Frank
CANON-2 002-1CARD-2.jpg

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have software that can work in layers, never thought of merging the same image of different exposures. I do use digital airbrushing to paint together multiple photos and recreating into one finished picture.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To show you how it can look, this is for a future painting project. Barack Obama Hawaiian volcano portrait.

Attachments

• BarackObama-Kilauea-volcano.jpg
    BarackObama-Kilauea-volcano.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 104

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread