Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not selling anything here, but looking for some input. My wife is going to be setting up a booth at Monroe's River Market in a few weeks. Really unsure what kind of prices she should be looking for.

Each of these canvasses are 16 X 20, all paintings are done in acrylics.

DSCN2237.jpg DSCN2232.jpg DSCN2235.jpg DSCN2238.jpg

Basically, if you were at an outdoor market with local vendors, what would you expect to pay for things like this?

This isn't the whole collection, and most of her work has been in chalk pastels in the past. However, neither of us have any idea the kinds of prices to ask for acrylic paintings on canvass.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have an auction with a minimum limit great painting I wish I could

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like the beach scene on the lower right. It is very nice indeed.

Bill

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not selling anything here, but looking for some input. My wife is going to be setting up a booth at Monroe's River Market in a few weeks. Really unsure what kind of prices she should be looking for.

Each of these canvasses are 16 X 20, all paintings are done in acrylics.

View attachment 1639605 View attachment 1639606 View attachment 1639607 View attachment 1639608

Basically, if you were at an outdoor market with local vendors, what would you expect to pay for things like this?

This isn't the whole collection, and most of her work has been in chalk pastels in the past. However, neither of us have any idea the kinds of prices to ask for acrylic paintings on canvass.

Thanks for looking.

I use to do craft shows and sold my saw blades, frying pans and paintings, on my traditional oil paintings I charged by the square inch, $1.50 per sq inch. I am a certified Bob Ross instructor, on the wet on wet Bob Ross style I sold them usually for $40 to $100 each depending on size. Saw blades cast iron pots etc prices all varied.

Figure out how much time it took for each picture then figure out her hourly charge is.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some beautiful paintings. Maybe have a silent auction.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I've said before that your lady has a great sense of composition.
What I know about public sales is they can be problematic. Everyone's a critic. The best way is have a gallery represent her work.
Because her work has, along with a sophistication, also has a folk art quality. That's a good quality. Her work might be beyond what an outdoor market might appreciate. This has been my experience.
A gallery can be hard to get representation in but they work every day to sell art where an artist can't. They also get the best price as it's in their best interest. If getting a gallery is not now, another type of gallery where the artist joins others and exhibits their work is another option. Not quite as professional but an option.
The advantage is gallery's have a more sophisticated audience, know better how to price a work

A curious thing. Artists sell better if they are from out of state. Maybe like girls are most interested in out of town guys. Or a Profit is not without honor, save in his own country (somewhere in the Bible)
Short version...Find a gallery in another state. Especially one that has a rep for her type of work. New Mexico has a strong folk art market. So do many Southern states. NM actually has a folk art museum.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use pastels along with aqueous acrylic, if done on watercolor paper, many of the watercolor societies will accept you. I think every state has one and a few accept members from other states. Most of these societies except as mixed media on watercolor paper, the use of color pastels in an aqueous manner. I've been accepted into the Hawaii Watercolor Society and they are very friendly. I would have to be there for 1 month at a time if entering artwork in exhibitions. Some show are juried and/or curated, certain shows held in museums, other will be an open show which is not juried or curated. You still need to come up with a price.

I had to start Social Security now and that being early for me. Right now the only way I would be able to stay 1 month in Hawaii to do a show is GOFUNDME.COM.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread