johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned Honda ATV's before but, not an '04. Generally if it's been taken care of it should be OK. Honda ATV's are not the fastest or smoothest riding but, they are tough as nails and will last for years. Good Luck.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buddy of mine has the 04 rancher, you wont be disapointed with your purchase. I had a 1988 fourtrax which I gve to my brother and now have a 1995 fourtrax which has been a great machine. Honda's are one tough machine. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Inherited this bike for $3,000.00. So far no problems, A buddy of mine said to take it to the Honda shop and have the first service done. He said they go over them changing all fluids, Adjust brake, shift, and the valves. Etc. I think I will soon I got 200 miles on it now, It had 141 miles on it when we got it. My father-in-law bought it new in 04 and only put 141 miles on it in 6 years he hardly ever rode this bike. Thanks for the help folks. Ben

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never a bad idea to take it in for a check up. Hondas are notorious for having a tapping noise from the valves. Even after they are adjusted. Best of luck with your machine. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, It does have the valve noise only when it goes over 30 mph. I think I will take it in the next couple weeks, And get it checked over. Again thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poorhunter, I think you will be happy with your rancher, I bought a 04 new, It just happened to be a full time 4-by, I understand that after 04 they made them part time 4 WD. Any way keep up with the service and the Honda will not let you down. A while back there was a recall on the tie-rod ends, but honda fixed them all free! check with your dealer. I have packed deer, rocks, gear and people, winter, and summer, never a problem with the machine. The only thing that i have against it is the wide turning radius cause of the 4 wd. but not enought to buy a newer one.
I'll post a picture,,,
Arid.

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh the steering is tough while in 4. It has been good so far, I have ridden a lot of bikes but had never owned one till now. It has good pulling power. I will to post a pic of mine.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Arid, they make a kit so you can take them out of 4 wheel drive, not sure if you knew or not? I think there around 100 bucks. Dont have one on mine, but have seriously considered it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has a button for 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainer, I did not know about the Kit! wiil have to look into it,,,Thanks, and here one to ya :coffee2:
Arid.

BlueDuck

Jun 26, 2009
Hayden, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Bounty Hunter
I have a 2001 Rancher 350 and its been bullet proof. Over 8000 miles and still going strong.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is good service BlueDuck! Most miles I ever saw on a 4 wheeler was 13,000 on an old polaris, dont know the story behind it, could have been rebuilt a dozen times for all I know.

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt mine will ever see that many miles without any problems. I keep the cobb webs blown out of it, If you know what I mean. I suppose if someone were to follow up on routine and preventative maintenance ( wow big words) ;D Then they should get lots of miles. Parking indoors will also prolong the life a lot more.
Well the Honda shop told me to bring it in for the 1st service tween 300-400 miles I got 355 miles on it now. So I probly otta get it in there pretty soon.

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
You have a good bike there, can give you many years of good service. In addition to the tie rod recall for a few models in your bikes range, there was also a recall on the electric shift solenoid, if you have the electric shift.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainer said:
Hey Arid, they make a kit so you can take them out of 4 wheel drive, not sure if you knew or not? I think there around 100 bucks. Dont have one on mine, but have seriously considered it. :thumbsup:
Warn wench made a disconnect kit but it has been discontinued .Good 4 wheeler tough like they say kinda hard ride but they are bullet proof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread