Need advice on MD for Oz coins/soils.

werewolf

Oct 26, 2008
Hey all!

New to the forums and (very) new to the hobby.

Seeking advice on the most suitable detector for seeking out Oz coins (both pre decimal and current) in Oz soils. I'm from Wollongong, NSW and will do most of my hunting down here, mainly on land but sometimes beaches too.

Mainly interested in coin shooting - jewellery and relics a lesser priority.

My budget limits me to the following models:

BH Tracker IV, Quick Silver or Quick Draw
Ace 250
Tesoro Silver uMax (at a pinch!)

Would be interested in opinions from the 'old hands' on here!

Many thanks!

Werewolf

dougy

May 3, 2008
central victoria
Detector(s) used
sov
hi werewolf sovs the best,in the past had minelab 1600 1700 sd2000 x2 an sd2200v2 a whites and nothing comes close,found heaps of coins in the 1800s as well as recent coins plus badges and artifacts,recently found an 81grm gold nugget plus a 4&half grmer in amongst rubbish other people have walked away from.mine is early xsa2pro with ML meter which I set at 1500 and don't dig anything under 500,friend sets his different meter at 500 and digs up at around 170plus we leave all switch's off except disc and variable but found heaps more depth with 15in wot coil if you keep your eyes open and somtimes on ebay you may pick a xs2apro or gt sovereign up around 5 to $700,you will learn to look for signs of where the old timers may have lived old recreation areas my favorite is the east side of big old trees cause on hot days back then it was probably the coolest place to gather after work or dinner just use your imagination and G luck, regards dougy central vic

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you try these options.

1 if you buy a second-hand md, buy one from a serviced dealer

2 brand has little to do with anything as there so many good mds out there.

3 weight and comfort is important

4 select a coil suitible for the depth and objects you wish to find.

5 hire a couple of different types before buying.

6 check the laws in your area before you start.

7 fill your holes

8 good luck and happy hunting

tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dougy said:
hi werewolf sovs the best,in the past had minelab 1600 1700 sd2000 x2 an sd2200v2 a whites and nothing comes close,found heaps of coins in the 1800s as well as recent coins plus badges and artifacts,recently found an 81grm gold nugget plus a 4&half grmer in amongst rubbish other people have walked away from.mine is early xsa2pro with ML meter which I set at 1500 and don't dig anything under 500,friend sets his different meter at 500 and digs up at around 170plus we leave all switch's off except disc and variable but found heaps more depth with 15in wot coil if you keep your eyes open and somtimes on ebay you may pick a xs2apro or gt sovereign up around 5 to $700,you will learn to look for signs of where the old timers may have lived old recreation areas my favorite is the east side of big old trees cause on hot days back then it was probably the coolest place to gather after work or dinner just use your imagination and G luck, regards dougy central vic

I remember reading a ozzie gem mag in 1979 that ran a story called Happy trees that was nearly 30 thirty years ago. that before most old recreation areas where put on the Heritage Register. ::) ::) ::)

t.p

Greenie
Mar 27, 2014
gold coast
Detector(s) used
tesoro umax tesoro cibola with clean sweep infinium, whites beach hunter 300 ace 250 bounty hunter platinum,bounty hunter sharpshooter b/h traker garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hi Werewolf its me we only texted the other night,mate the tracker is a very good detector on coins have a look it's the only detector rated 5stars I know I have one.

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi 300, you still around? I am also on the Gold Coast, just got myself a new detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread