SPANISH DISCOVERY AND NAMING OF AUSTRALIA

aussie 1

Aug 4, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
re this article on the Spanish christianing of Australia as being a Spanish possesson in 1606 I believe is probably true as the first pioneers to settle in Sydney found ancient stone dwellings not of aboriginal make which were kept quiet about to avoid dispute over their origin which were probably Spanish/ max PS . Look up via google Rex Gilmore of Katoomba New South Wales Australia who is an expert on Spanish occupation and boating evidence in that state Max :icon_study: :icon_study:

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply, Max. I have seen Rex Gilmore posting on the Spanish in Australia, very very Interesting.
I would love to know what happen to the artifacts they found.
Cheers, Sam

Grimnar

Mar 22, 2006
Vic
Ossy,
The same thing that happens to all artifacts and relics, that do not comply with written history, Destroyed or buried in a government or museum cellar or warehouse never to see the light of day again, with all of the knowledge of its actual existence erased forever.

Answer your question?

Cheers

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply, Grimnar. I thought that was the case, I hope one day it all comes to light.
Cheers, Ossy

Juicy

Greenie
Oct 8, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Whitees Dualfield PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey ossy ,
I saw a presentation by Dennis gojak who talked about Joseph hargraves (the man famous for aviation in Australia and had his face on the old $20note) and how he believed that rock carvings on point piper in Sydney were of the Spanish and done by aboriginals.There is a fenced off area in north bondI golfcourse that is believed to be Spanish..no one knows about it. Itsunami very cool. Hargraves believed the Spanish settled in point piper for a while and managed to get a dig to try to uncover artifacts but nothing was found and he lost his reputation....

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you read "1491" by Gavin Menzies; pages 197 to 214, regarding the Chinese Treasure Fleets of 1421-3; and Zhou Man's nearly complete circumnavigation of Australia during that period?
Don......
Hi Don , Fancy seeing you here on a Aussie post :thumbsup:
The English did a good job of destroying any evidence of Spanish and Portuguese earlier visit's to Australia and covering up any wrecks found .
mahogany ship
Have a read of this Don , read the part of the government cover up. It also mentions possible Chinese wreck .
Cheers , Sam

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Sam !

Menzies brings up the subject of the Mahogany ship at least four times in his book (pages 188-189, 206, 318 and 450).
All his evidence points to the Chinese as the source of the mahogany ship. It is fascinating reading. Without contrary evidence to prove him wrong, it's hard to refute his analysis.
Don.......

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
And I am curious why the English were so successful in destroying all the Spanish and Portuguese evidence, but left all those Dutch wrecks in place round Australia?

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get a copy from the British Admiralty of James Cook voyage , you will have your answer Cheers , Ossy

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey ossy ,
I saw a presentation by Dennis gojak who talked about Joseph hargraves (the man famous for aviation in Australia and had his face on the old $20note) and how he believed that rock carvings on point piper in Sydney were of the Spanish and done by aboriginals.There is a fenced off area in north bondI golfcourse that is believed to be Spanish..no one knows about it. Itsunami very cool. Hargraves believed the Spanish settled in point piper for a while and managed to get a dig to try to uncover artifacts but nothing was found and he lost his reputation....

Ive been to bodi to view the carvings. Very interesting. What is really interesting is that the small site has a small chained off fence around it. Yet aboriginal carvings only 5m away are left open and are recarved every few years. Why put a small fence only around the baln ziah site? Point piper i have tried to get to but found its quite built up with houses now going right to the waters edge. Hard to gain access.
I dont know if they are spanish. The symbols or text dont match anything the spanish used in their explorations of the world. Same with dutch. Cant make a connection. A wreck my lie due west of the carvings as with the symbol. But thats just my perception. No records have been made to a wreck site

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And I am curious why the English were so successful in destroying all the Spanish and Portuguese evidence, but left all those Dutch wrecks in place round Australia?

Could be that most of the wrecks are around the alborous islands. May not have known of them.
For a long time in the 1600s. The entire western side of Aus was known and shown on charts as New Hollad. With directions accually been given to ships heading to manilla. Once the head around Cape town. Sail east till you come to the great south land. Follow the land north to manilla. Which is why so many wrecks are in a small area. And why cast aways who survived went onto manilla and brought rescue back. Because they knew exactly where they were at the time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions