Cygnus-1X Metal Detector

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If what he was working on was true to his word- what we lost, what the world lost.... to me was in the realm of great projects the like of (the real) Tesla.

It truly would have had widespread impact.

Fascinating. So what scientific principle was being applied to the detector that was on the path to change the world?

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fascinating. So what scientific principle was being applied to the detector that was on the path to change the world?

All associates are under NDA. While that may or may not have expired due to Richard's passing (IANAL), I think we should respect the NDA until his family decides how, when, and if to move forward.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Malenkai, since it was a sole proprietorship, which I believe ends when the proprietor passes, unlike a corporation, the NDA's are now probably invalid and the other party is not here. That said, I was just supposed to test a machine, which never happened, so I never quite knew what he was working on. So for me it's like the old math equation, half of nothing is still nothing. It's an unfortunate thing. I would have liked to test one in the horrid red dirt in Virginia where I (think) I still have a permission. Sad. With covid I'm hoping I can still get to the site, but nothing is really certain, is it?

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Malenkai, since it was a sole proprietorship, which I believe ends when the proprietor passes, unlike a corporation, the NDA's are now probably invalid and the other party is not here. That said, I was just supposed to test a machine, which never happened, so I never quite knew what he was working on. So for me it's like the old math equation, half of nothing is still nothing. It's an unfortunate thing. I would have liked to test one in the horrid red dirt in Virginia where I (think) I still have a permission. Sad. With covid I'm hoping I can still get to the site, but nothing is really certain, is it?

Yes, I was supposed to test one as well. I was an associate, and I have a degree in electrical engineering, but I have never practiced EE. I understand what he was trying to do, but only at a high level. My thought is legally we can probably offer opinions on what he was trying to do, but I just feel more comfortable leaving that up to the family at this time.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I've said before, I never really knew what he was working on. I don't even know how my current machines work. All I really cared about is that they did work. On a bright note, if he was ready for production, then I assume there are files and patent applications and all that legal stuff and his heirs could at least sell it to a major manufacturer, and if the machine was going to be good, some company might want to make them. I do really wish I could have tested it in the bad Virginia dirt.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last material development I recall was that he had completed the circuit board math and designs, and was sending that out to get printed. I do not know if the prints came back or not.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So has anyone been in contact with the family? Does anyone even know how to contact the family? If I were to wager, I'd wager that this whole thing fizzles into nothing.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So has anyone been in contact with the family? Does anyone even know how to contact the family? If I were to wager, I'd wager that this whole thing fizzles into nothing.

From the timeline so far with all the "delays", I'm thinking that nothing ever got out of his head into a physical form.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I was thinking of this the other day. Did anyone actually know him personally?

chub

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. But the obituary is online. Poor guy to have such a big dream and not be able to get it done.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometime after his death I wrote a letter to his wife asking what was to become of his work. I got no answer.

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It really is a shame, because what he was stating to be able to do capability and feature wise was mine blowing.

And the fact that he had said he had beta parts that he had been tested and proven to work really makes me sad if it was indeed true.

Much like the experiments of Nichola Tesla, who knows what we may have had.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richard also said he had a backup plan in case of his death.....someone who would take over and finish the project. Makes me wonder if this wasn't all just a fantasy.......

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t doubt the mans intentions or motivation.

He never met me, but he sent myself and several others books on his own dime- about metal detecting that he thought would explain to us how the electronics systems analyzed and produced and how they were affected with things.

He was genuinely of the mindset that everything we have right now is crude and pales in comparison to what he was building.

I can 100% say I feel he was in no way a con man as he never asked for a penny from me and I doubt from anyone else as well. He was also astute and aware enough to make all of us sign a raised seal NDA before getting involved.

In fact he even had mentioned more than once that us who were to be field testers could get shares in the company once things moved along.

If he had a back up plan and gave it to someone to move forward, that gives me hope that the technology may still come out somewhere.

I am involved with other areas of other business and know that things like this can take several years to hit the market so we may think nothing is happening right now and then be surprised in three or four years.

I don’t care if he sold the rights to minelab and they want to charge $10,000 for it, if what he spoke of comes to fruition I will be first in line to buy one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread