Cygnus-1X Metal Detector

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will make all of you a solemn promise. Please read. I will be one of the LAST people to test it in real life conditions in the field. I have selected a site in the mineralized Northern Maryland Wissahickon schist. The site has produced a lot of clad, a few Civil War items, one or two colonial items and enough aluminum cans to make a car with! No kidding on the aluminum. The soil is highly mineralized. Accessory minerals in the ground are hematite, magnetite, rutile (ore of titanium), iron garnet, zircon, native silver, and gold. This will be quite the test! Would be nice to pull out a gold nugget! There is also a creek there and finding a nugget with the machine would be so awesome! Our Equinoxes and Deus machines could not find one in the water.

Site #2 will be a salt water beach. Both in and out of the water. (Apparently in January I'm going to water's edge only.) Place has been pounded so there may not be a lot of targets to begin with, but we will see.

Site #3 is a sandy moderate soil on the eastern shore of Maryland. There are not a lot of hot rocks there, but there are a few. Trash is light, but targets are deep! The shallow ones have already been found.

Site #4 is the horrible Virginia red dirt in Culpeper you have heard me and others talk about. My permission is 3 miles or so from the DIV sites and has been hunted since probably about 1960. I have pounded the snot out of it!

Site #5 is a Baltimore County Park. It has been hit for YEARS now, but there are some dense iron patches there and we will see how the Cygnus 1-X does there. I have apparently no idea what could be left after 15 years of detecting there by at least one club.

So the promise is - NO BS! What you see is what you get! I do not buy hype, except maybe once, and that I regretted really fast! Some of you who dig with me will be able to test drive one of these the week they are released. They will give feedback too I'm sure. And I will be videotaping this!

The buck stops here! And NO, I did not pay for the privilege of participating in this great adventure!

Excited to see what transpires, Smokey. When you've had enough my soil here on Vancouver island is full of mineral goodness that tricks the EQ800 and CTX every hunt but am super interested to hear your results =)

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Doc! As you can see, I'm in the Pacific Northwest where we have high mineralized soil. Anyone going to be testing the Cygnus in our, or similar, soil conditions?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bquamb, nothing is worse than the Virginia red dirt. There are numerous minerals mines with a few miles of the site I'm going to. There are gold and iron mines close to it. We've had a lot of machines in there. The Cibola did pretty well. It has a fast processor and would go deep. The AT Pro's we used didn't have a chance. An Excel we took in one day found NOTHING! PI machines have been there and surrendered to the iron! The Equinox 800 did ALMOST as good as the Deus, but ALL the rocks there are hot rocks and neither the Deus nor the Nox will go very deep! The deepest I dug with the Cibola was 8"! The Deus, about the same! There are very few "surface" targets anymore and some quite irresponsible parties have dug out huts and not backfilled the holes. Pieces of CW ration cans and nails are EVERYWHERE! Worse place on earth! We will be looking for DEEP non ferrous items there.

OP
OP
D

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Doc! As you can see, I'm in the Pacific Northwest where we have high mineralized soil. Anyone going to be testing the Cygnus in our, or similar, soil conditions?

See smokeythecat's posts on this page and we have others that can chime in but short answer is yes!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
THz imaging ? Just a guess...Good Luck!

Go Smokycat girl, put those wader and gloves on, has to be submerged more then a couple feet to get the full effect of saltwater. May I suggest Merrit Park, Hit very hard..but the gold is there. You come out of there with a gold I know it's good. This spot was on my list for the Fisher Impulse "AQ". I bet we have got close to 100 golds out of there in the last 4 years..None for 2019.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, I have no clue what THz imaging is, truth be told. However, I have stated over and over for years now on this forum, look at some of my reponses to Vferrari's threads, for instance. I can't do the math on machines, and I do REALLY DO NOT KNOW how the Cygnus is going to do its thing! I just know how to swing one! I'll go with you to Merritt Park...as soon as I get the go ahead from the head honcho which will probably be early March, as the ground right now here is frozen. The warm temps this week didn't unfreeze it and next week is going to be icky. Icky is a technical term! Dumb question, is Merritt in the county or city?

Last edited:

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot Bedliner on DD Coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been selected to test the caveman functions. Yeah we actually have those...swing detector not lookin and bam! Stuff like that. Also, being electronically challenged I am also the testbed for the turn and go function. If I can find it(whatever IT is), then YOU WILL find your targets. I have the usual coin places...tot lots, old churches, abandoned sites, sites dating back to 1700-1800. Some cellar holes, gold bearing areas too. I will be ESPECIALLY TARGETING A TOWN THAT WAS JUST PLAIN STRIPPED OF SILVER back in the 1970-1990 timeframe. You can BET if I skewer the shiny in that town...YOU will be able to do the same. Cygnus may just very well be the machine people have dreamed of.....actually can take a guy or gal, switch it on and scour the ground....clean....REALLY clean. Richie is gonna have "the smoothness" this spring...cha-CHA!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, the "Old Snake Hole". Really? You want to go into an old snake hole?

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a complete list of these "Associates" somewhere?

So far I only see Smokeythecat in Maryland, Power Dubs in New Jersey and cudamark in San Diego as the testers.

Are there others out there?!?

OP
OP
D

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Member User Names here??

Some have posted in this thread and will have "AviTech Associate" in their signature others have not yet but may - it is their choice to be public or not but all field testing will be publicized right here with location and area details.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Doc, been following this project a bit and i have one of my own I am working on. Can see gold inside a cast iron wood stove, and can distinguish gold inches apart from other elements fairly reliably from twenty feet (small gold ring). Further distance the reliability not as good but still can be done. Right now it is not in a conventional metal detector form, but this is my desire or possible a lawn mower type. If you ever get out Montana way I'd love to chat over this. Been trying to get someone interested in this project.

This is the transmitter. the receiver is handheld (not shown).

Tx.jpg

Last edited:

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been waiting well over 2 years for the 1st Texas Manta Ray machine and nothing-Nada has became of it so far. So will probably purchase the XP Orx just to tied me over til the next best thing like the Cygnus-1X hits the market and all the bugs have been worked out of it.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holding fingers crossed for you guys. Merry Christmas and keep on doing the good work, i am hardly waiting to hear some more technical caracteristics.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merry Christmas! We're not going to jump the gun and set it free before its ready. Testing will be soon. Jumping the gun can leave egg on your face so to speak, and folks it's not like we're wanting anybody's money then making you wait months for the machine. Patience is a virtue. Our patience. You'll be able to see videos and stuff before you purchase, and that will be great. We will probably show it in person to some clubs and detector competitive digs also. The videos will be live digs! And NOT in a test garden, with the exception of one which will be in a test garden put in a few weeks ago. That will help as some of the items you really don't find often in the wild! We have other testers also and I'm not sure of their setups. Hope you guys and gals are recovering from your food coma from yesterday. I didn't quite go there, however, that said, I stayed up really late watching Saturday Night Live clips on youtube! LMAO

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have to say, I got a Deus because of SMOKE, CD and V and could not have been HAPPIER that I did!!! If this machine is what they are thinking it's going to be, I'll be on THAT train as well. THX for all y'all do!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V is chomping at the bit, so to speak to get one. Not long to wait...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread