Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have been reading a lot about the Carre Shinob cave and the one man who has seen the contents, Kerry Ross Boren. He says the cave is filled with gold and jewelry from "the ancient ones" and they are the Aztec. The mountains around the cave are covered with petroglyphs from the Aztecs. So, is this the place where Montezumas treasure was hidden from Hernando Cortez?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Salvor6,

I would suggest you look farther into Kerry Ross Boren than his books. IMHO, he's is not a man to be believed.....about anything. Highly intelligent low-life, is still low life. Be prepared... with a 55-gallon drum of disinfectant.

Joe Ribaudo

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
When prospecting in AZ. near Quartzsite, I ran into an old prospector that claimed to know the general location of this Aztec treasure. He said it was East of Quartzsite, possibly in a cave network, but you wood need a GPR to find it. He said if I would get the GPR he would take me there on a 50/50 basis. He gave me contact info. It sounded interesting.

zevoruko

Greenie
Jul 13, 2010
This is my first post guys, hope it doesnt sound too polemic to you but its the perspective I would have on this matter.

From what I've read in history books AZ was really far from Tenochtitlan (now Mexico City) to be considered part of the Aztec empire. Yes they were the dominant rules of all the mesoamericas but AZ was off limits for control, only trading.

Second, its not like Aztecs had that much gold or metals since they had a very basic understanding of mettalurgy and had no mines. All their metals came either from trade or nuggets you could find without a mine.

Third, at least in Mexican history books, the treasure was considered a myth and the little gold that was given by Aztecs to Spaniols was immediately melted and sent to Spain.

IMHO if any treasure were still left it would probably be hidden underground in Central Mexico like they did with most of their temples and pyramids which now look like hills in the landscape.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
zevoruko said:
This is my first post guys, hope it doesnt sound too polemic to you but its the perspective I would have on this matter.

From what I've read in history books AZ was really far from Tenochtitlan (now Mexico City) to be considered part of the Aztec empire. Yes they were the dominant rules of all the mesoamericas but AZ was off limits for control, only trading.

Second, its not like Aztecs had that much gold or metals since they had a very basic understanding of mettalurgy and had no mines. All their metals came either from trade or nuggets you could find without a mine.

Third, at least in Mexican history books, the treasure was considered a myth and the little gold that was given by Aztecs to Spaniols was immediately melted and sent to Spain.

IMHO if any treasure were still left it would probably be hidden underground in Central Mexico like they did with most of their temples and pyramids which now look like hills in the landscape.

The Mexica had a large quantity of gold and, as you say, the mines capable of providing this amount have not been identified. One rationalization is that the mines were located in North America, the Mexica's original homeland, from which they migrated from to the present Mexico City vicinity ca 1100 ad. The homeland, named Aztlan, was also referred to as Chicomoztoc, 'Place of the Seven Caves'. There are plenty of legends in New Mexico, Arizona and Utah concerning hidden Aztec mines, ancient storehouses, etc. These may well be the sources of the 'Seven Cities of Cibola' legends and IMO probably have some basis in fact.

However, concerning the 'Montezuma Treasure' stories - I don't for a minute believe the Mexica lugged the loot all the way to North America when there were millions of suitable hidey-holes so much closer to home. These stories have only appeared in treasure hunting magazines and on internet forums.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
zevoruko said:

The Mexica had a large quantity of gold and, as you say, the mines capable of providing this amount have not been identified. One rationalization is that the mines were located in North America, the Mexica's original homeland, from which they migrated from to the present Mexico City vicinity ca 1100 ad. The homeland, named Aztlan, was also referred to as Chicomoztoc, 'Place of the Seven Caves'. There are plenty of legends in New Mexico, Arizona and Utah concerning hidden Aztec mines, ancient storehouses, etc. These may well be the sources of the 'Seven Cities of Cibola' legends and IMO probably have some basis in fact.

However, concerning the 'Montezuma Treasure' stories - I don't for a minute believe the Mexica lugged the loot all the way to North America when there were millions of suitable hidey-holes so much closer to home. These stories have only appeared in treasure hunting magazines and on internet forums.

I used to think the same thing until a couple of years ago. I won 't say a whole lot as it is an ongoing project, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. What I will say is that what I am working on is not the actual treasure itself, but something left along the way in one area. Pretty amazing stuff when you dig into it.

Zevoruko,

You are mistaken about the amount of gold the Aztecs had. When Cortez first went to Tenochtitlan in 1519 and was received as a God, he reported buildings sheathed in gold plate. Even the lowliest of inhabitants of the city wore gold jewelry in abundance.

Also, Bernal Diaz del Castillo in his memoirs describes the more than six weeks of torture the Spanish subjected Moctezuma II's people to trying to find what happened to all the gold they saw two years previous to 1521.

No, it existed, and has not been found yet. I can guess at where it might be, but my guess would be about as good as throwing a dart at a map. HAHAHA

Best-Mike

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
gollum said:
I used to think the same thing until a couple of years ago. I won 't say a whole lot as it is an ongoing project, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. What I will say is that what I am working on is not the actual treasure itself, but something left along the way in one area. Pretty amazing stuff when you dig into it. ....

Best-Mike

Well, you've got us all at quite a disadvantage. I've seen Aztec signs in a couple locations, but I wouldn't attribute them to M's treasure. Old mining sites, maybe, but the M's treasure legend stands on shaky legs. So far, anyway.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

It seems more than likely that the Aztec's had gold and silver mines, and worked them. I am away from my sources right now, but I believe the areas of these mines are named in historical documents. There is also this:

[A complete inventory of the articles received from Montezuma is contained in the Carta de Vera Cruz. -- The following are a few of the items.

Two collars made of gold and precious stones.

A hundred ounces of gold ore, that their Highnesses might see in what state the gold came from the mines.]

Take care,

Joe

zevoruko

Greenie
Jul 13, 2010
What you mention about Aztlan and the 7 caves is very possible since indeed Mexicas/Aztecs came from the northern Chichimeca regions. There has been a lot of debate lately about the different between Mexicas and Aztecs. A new theory mentions that Mexicas are the ones who migrated into Central Mexico to found Tenochtitlan but that some reference mentions Aztecs as the Chichimeca tribe that chased them out of Aztlán. This would only confirm the theory of Aztec cities in that region but not of how Mexica gold would flow back there after Spanish invasion.

What I am not so sure really is about the amount of gold everyone thinks they had. I've grown looking at museum pieces, arqueological sites, ruins and indian cemeteries in this country and they never ever find any gold in large quantities. There seem to be pyramids and temples being founds and undug everywhere but gold is almost never present. Nonetheless this might be attributed to pillaging over the last 5 centuries. Im pretty sure most of that gold was melted and is what we now see in European museums as art pieces.

I read Bernal del Castillo's book too and it is very impressive but I am not so sure about he mines... if they really were that advanced in metallurgy why didn't they even use metal in their weapons? I dont mean to sound arrogant or despective of my own people but they were not even close to the Bronze age of anciente Greece/Rome.

Anyway, for everyone who is looking for that gold I do hope that I am wrong and whish all the very best luck in their findings. I am glad I found this forum to be able to exchange points of view with interesting people :)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zevoruko,

There is a big difference between being able to work with gold and being able to work with bronze, iron, or steel.

The Babylonians worked with gold. That was loooooooooooooong before the Aztecs or Mexicas.

Best-Mike

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST
Mining gold and silver is a long way from creating bronze and iron weapons or tools. Gold and silver makes for great jewelry but is not worth a darn as a tool or sword and for that matter pure gold or silver would make a terrible bell, nothing like bronze to make a good bell, it appears they were light years away from working with iron.
Bill

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I don't know much of anything for sure. I mentioned on another thread about the legends of my little mountain village, that not far away an indigenous tribe ran a protection racket for the merchants who traveled from Oaxaca to Tenochtitlan.

Part of the legends my wife heard in the 50's as a little girl was that Moctezuma came out once a year to receive tribute from that indigenous tribe after they conquered them around 1500. And, the tribute was gold. Thus, I imagine the toll paid by the merchants may have been in gold.

Part of that legend was the statement that prompted a belief here in buried treasure. The people were allowed in the house in the daytime, and they would see the local chiefs pay the gold tribute. Then at night, the people would be forced out, but would watch all night to see if anyone came out.

The next day when they went back in the gold would be gone. Thus the original buried treasure legends, though this was different from the Moctezuma treasure legend.

Another legend was Moctezuma had tunnels built from here quite a distance away in case he was sieged, he could escape.

I can accept tunnels of a few hundred yards, yes. Although no one has found any such thing.

But, these mountains are made of travertine marble, which is not a true marble, but makes a nice floor. ;D

Travertine is wet. Travertine marble mountains are full of water. No tunnel could go the distance they claim without soon filling with water.

So, this is one legend I do not at all believe.

However, should I ever find myself with a ground-penetrating radar set under my arm, heh, heh, right after I scope out the Tomb of Moctezuma, I will scan the ruins for tunnels.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evening: We have tentatively established the migration of the Aztecs from Jerusalem to the coast of France / Spain - Aztlan - to North America, then gradually working their way down to Mexico city.

Azatlan was the remains of Atlantis, the shallows off of the coasts of Spain and France, the place of the cranes etc.

Question, are they the lost tribe ?

Don Jose de La Mancha el *Tropical Trampo*

Roblowaz

Apr 19, 2011
Prescott Valley, AZ
Detector(s) used
Yes
It is said the Juan Onate' heading North through the area around 1610 raided Aztec temple and such. Aquiring great loads of jewels and Aztec Gold.
Some of which is refrred to as the lost padre mine. buried in the mountains of El Paso. Back in Spain Juan Onate was very well acustomed to mining.
Although the mine is on private property on the Hillside in El Paso. No one really knows the whole story. The myth is passed down that if one stood at a particular spot at a particular time of day at a particular time of year. one could clearly see the opening of the mine.
My family had in it's posession the orignal manuscript. The time of day is sunrise. The time of year is Early spring before the equinox. The spot.. Well.... I keep that to myself but i have been there. It is exactly as the manuscript describes. Also in 1901 L.C.Criss along with Mayor Tom Lea of the Time. Judge J.A lowe and Judge Sweeny all of El Paso sponsored a dig. They reached adobe walls to the right and left of the shaft approximatley 120' in. unfortunatly before it could be shored up almost the entire shaft caved in. Some items were recovered at that time and were on display at the Rio Grande Bank building until the 1950's when they disapeared,. They included a Spanish Conquistador helmet.
May Grandfather was the last living man that had beden in the shaft and knew what it was until my party and myself went up and photo's and docucmented. Unfortunatly the whole area is owned by a family trust, which would have to ok anything.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I would look into the Panuco river & rio del Norte!This will get ya close :laughing7:

Attachments

• AGI 61-6-35.HMC.3.jpg
    AGI 61-6-35.HMC.3.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 4,134

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Mutezumas tomb was in a salt lagoon = Lago salso ....The other part of the lagoon was lago dolce = Casas lagoon.Was given to Bartolome las casas

Attachments

• 1519.jpg
    1519.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,803
  • 1519.jpg
    1519.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,668
  • Nuoua Hispagna del Mare Oceano.jpg
    Nuoua Hispagna del Mare Oceano.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 3,875

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting read. Thanks!

All the best,

Lanny

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
How the Indians got the gold......