Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    mx
    May 2010
    83 times

Re: Mexican Legends on the Treasure of Moctezuma

Not in my neighborhood.

Charter Member

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    870 times

Yes. I understand that is the normal reaction in Mexico. Fortunately, not many Americans are climbing the fence to get into your country.....Wonderful as it is.

Joe Ribaudo

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    1681 times

HI Joe, there are a few hundred thousands down here with the numbers leaving the US rising daily. check with the US Embassy. However all are self supporting, immigration requirement. snicker.

I, like big foot, do not associate with them. My interests are 'out there', not with my servants and present & former social status. We complain about the Mexicans not integrating, most of the Americans down here do not integrate either. Most do not even try to learn rudimentary Spanish.

However, if they stay in their corner and leave me to mine, I am ok with it.

Integrating without demeaning yourself, has been the secret of my ability to work the Orient, Pacific basin and Mexico. In other words I accept all as an equal, but not by lowering myself to their level, but, on the contrary, by elevating them to mine, what ever that is. (nice example of elevated ego at work, hehehe)

Big foot knows what I mean.

big foot, you posted -->Life is more work and less comfort here, and I do feel much more like a man. My testosterone level is clearly way up at an age where it is more likely to be nonexistent

By a curious coincidence I am the same, unfortunately my running ability has decreased, so they can now outrun me. However, some day one will stumble ------!

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

ca
    May 2007
    405 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

And when you finally catch one?
    It's probably time for a nap....
    Us old guys got priorities,ya know.

Regards:SH.
    Hell,you ain't never too old to look!

mx
    May 2010
    83 times

Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper
    Yes. I understand that is the normal reaction in Mexico. Fortunately, not many Americans are climbing the fence to get into your country.....Wonderful as it is.

Joe Ribaudo
    Mexico like many things in the world is a case of different strokes for different folks. Most married couple expats return to the US within two years, so I am told (I don't live around other expats so have to take it on faith.)

In my opinion, few North Americans would be happy in Mexico. We humans are all different, and we seek different hobbies; different occupations; different places to build our houses; different religions.

Just as there must be something different in a person to motivate them to spend large amounts of time and money hunting for treasure, rather then bicycling or ham radio, so there is something a little different in people to make them want to live in a place like I do.

The freedom we talk about on July 4th, includes the right to move somewhere else. Without it, the US isn't the US any more.

While most people are apparently happy in the US, not all are. And, if I could give one piece of advice, I would tell our legislators if you are smart, and someone says he wants to leave, you will not put obstacles in his path. Fidel Castro stayed in power for close to 50 years only because he let his unhappy people leave.

mx
    May 2010
    83 times

>>Big foot knows what I mean.

Absolutely I do. Locals have commented how well I have adapted. One day I said flippantly to my Mexican wife of 35 years, "I am more Mexican than you are." I thought she would be angry, because that is a pretty brazen thing to say. But, she actually agreed with me. My weak link is my Spanish will never approach perfection.

>>big foot, you posted -->Life is more work and less comfort here, and I do feel much more like a man. My testosterone level is clearly way up at an age where it is more likely to be nonexistent

>>By a curious coincidence I am the same, unfortunately my running ability has decreased, so they can now outrun me. However, some day one will stumble ------!

I wasn't going to get into that, because especially American women get pretty upset. One of the hardest things for me to learn is that there are young women here who are interested in someone my age. That would never happen in the States. I am not talking the gold-diggers (Oops, bad choice of words on this URL ) and opportunists who came around when I first moved here. This is the second wave, young women who know me as a person and are interested in me, I believe mostly because I treat women with respect and they are not used to that.

I made the decision 35 years ago to be faithful to my wife, and so I am. One trick I use is to pretend I don't understand their Spanish. Then, I go home and have hot flashes for a week...

I don't want you to think I am inundated with offers. Twice in the last 2 years, but I am not a hunk and that is the same as total of my first 65 years of life in the US. And, at my age, an attractive 21 year old is incredibly attractive.

Sorry to lead this thread off-topic. It was not my intention. I need to get those pictures processed, and posted. I spent today in Puebla renewing my FM-3 rentista for another year. They have changed the system completely, and the application all happens online, then you print out the pdf file their computer generates and take it to the office.

If we have PM's here, I am not sure, and someone is approaching renewal feel free to PM me for info on the new system. I am very sleepy now. Will try to post those pictures tomorrow.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    1681 times

some hiker: you posted --> And when you finally catch one?
    Us old guys got priorities,ya know

I hope that you notice that I am pointedly ignoring you, I won't lower myself to answer that , I refuse to get into a -- . further more ------ . I'll have you know that --- . well maybe you are correct a teeny bit, but I won't admit it, however, mi Tiger has a typical Latina temperament, very violently jealous. But she is calming down, She hasn't even come close with a coffee cup lately.

Anyways, I have had her since 1958, so I guess that I will keep her, since she has me well trained .

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Now about that nap, do you ----------
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

mx
    May 2010
    83 times

The photo above which shows one side of the house, full length, does not show the main entrance of the house, which is near the far end. This photo shows it from the left in the photo above. The inner arch is visible among the plants. My wife's room as a child was at the right, with the door before the arch.

The earthquakes have taken down the roof of that room, and her aunt was badly hurt, spent six months in the Mexico City hospital, walked badly until her death.

The house was a rectangle originally. Even by the late 40's, much of the rectangle was gone. Now there is only one side, picture in posting above, and a little bit at the end where the kitchen was.

There was a good spring that never failed until a few years ago when truck farmers started drilling wells to water great acreages. That spring made the house safe because they could withstand a major siege.

The inside of the house now has banana; lemon; and other trees beside the canal running from the spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1091.JPG 
Views:	1278 
Size:	448.1 KB 
ID:	413200  

mx
    May 2010
    83 times

When you walk in the entrance, hoping as you walk under that old arch that no earthquake happens at that exact moment, then turn a half left, you can see what is left of the old kitchen.

The kitchen when my wife was a girl, still had a canal from the spring running through it, and when the women wanted water, they just scooped it out of the canal on the floor. Now the kitchen is mostly used for the men to take a rare bath.

I happened to be here in 1999, when the earthquake did major damage to the back of the kitchen, the side you cannot see.

In this photo, the pile of rocks, I piled there. That 1999 earthquake took down part of the wall. In that wall was one of those big old doors, with the big nails, like you see on cathedrals in the cities of Mexico.

When we build our house, my wife's uncle gave her that door. I moved the fallen rocks to clear the door to move. Our builder got 3 or 4 men to help him carry the door the couple hundred yards to our house, and it is built into our new house. It is in very bad shape, my wife stapled plastic inside it to keep things from flying in, but she is happy, and y'all married guys know that is worth some hassle.

Our daughter screamed with delight when she heard we had the old door.

The main entrance in previous posting probably had such a door long ago. It was not an unprotected entrance.

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG 
Views:	1212 
Size:	429.9 KB 
ID:	413201  

mx
    May 2010
    83 times

The last picture is taken from a few feet away from the previous picture, except looking back out the entrance.

There is one lavadero (Mexican maytag) some yards away. It has what some call a face cut around the drain hole, though to me it is obviously an Aztec God. That dates it to before the priests came, which was 1600 or earlier. The second one (they always come in pairs when families have the money) was stolen, and has been rumored to be in a museum. This thing is made of a soft volcanic rock, and weights more than the 150 pounds I can move (not lift; move.)

I asked our builder how they made that house so the walls you saw in these pictures are still standing after hundreds of years, without concrete. As best as I could understand him, they selected the rocks one at a time, and made the walls thick enough the rocks just sit there on top of each other. I find that amazing, though earthquakes have slowly taken it down!

Note the family legends say this house was built in the days of Moctezuma. This is legend and is not proved.

We know from University documents in Spain that this house did exist in the 18th Century, that is, early 1700's. We do not know it didn't exist in Moctezuma's day, just as we don't know it did.

So, 250 - 300 years is very certain, beyond that it is strictly speculation.

The locals had the legend the gold was buried in the house. With the new (to me) legend about the tomb of Moctezuma some distance away, one might make a wild conjecture the gold is with the body, but there is no evidence at all, just more speculation.

Name:	IMG_1094.JPG 
Views:	1253 
Size:	379.3 KB 
ID:	413202  

mx
    May 2010
    83 times

The flat rocks piled in the entrance in the previous photo are called laja (lah-ha). They come from local quarries, and some have fish fossils in them. Evidence is this area, now over 5000 feet above sea level was once at ocean level.

Laja is used for floors of houses and patios, my wife has a laja sidewalk in the back yard. Also, for house facings, I forget the name, where stone is applied to the front of a house.

My wife's cousins run a laja quarry, and sell a lot of it.

That laja is simply stored there until some use if found for it, I guess.

I don't feel this is that interesting, but if someone disagrees, let me know; I have a good digital camera.

I can't show you pictures of the gold, which is what you all want. Heh, heh.

mx
    May 2010
    83 times

Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa
    some hiker: you posted --> And when you finally catch one?
    Us old guys got priorities,ya know

I hope that you notice that I am pointedly ignoring you, I won't lower myself to answer that , I refuse to get into a -- . further more ------ . I'll have you know that --- . well maybe you are correct a teeny bit, but I won't admit it, however, mi Tiger has a typical Latina temperament, very violently jealous. But she is calming down, She hasn't even come close with a coffee cup lately.

Anyways, I have had her since 1958, so I guess that I will keep her, since she has me well trained .

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Now about that nap, do you ----------
    I like your sense of humor.

Also, it pleases me very much to hear a couple who have been together 52 years. My brother and his wife have been together since around 1962.

When we had our 30th anniversary, I asked my Mexican wife, "Have we been married 30 years?"

She said, "Yes."

I said, "It seems so much longer."

Without any expression she said, "I agree, it does seem much longer."

She is wound pretty tight, but I can still make her laugh at times, though that wasn't one of them.

Charter Member

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    870 times

piegrande,

Wonderful pictures and a nice trip through some personal family history. I can appreciate these posts and would enjoy seeing all you feel like posting.

Many Thanks,

Joe

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    421 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Agreed - beautiful photos and a great example of how an obviously once amazing home slowly becomes a ruins and is reclaimed by nature.

You do have a good digital camera - feel free to post more photos!
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

mx
    May 2010
    83 times

I was walking on the hills, I didn't start until late because of the heat of the sun at mid-day. So, I was pushing dark coming down the hill. Let me explain.

When I leave my house, I climb what I call a mountain, not sure it is that pretentious, but that is what I call it.

I walk around 4,000 feet and my altimeter says I have climbed 400 feet. Not bad, but there are a lot of loose rocks.

Then, I walk a mile or so across what I call the mesa, then a very steep climb of 250 feet, again mostly loose rocks.

Then, I am at the ranch where my wife's grandmother was born. This takes me around an hour and 20 minutes.

Then, if it is a short walk, visit friends there a few minutes and back home.

This one afternoon, as I crossed the mesa and was starting over the edge to drop 400 feet on loose rocks, I noted some pretty clouds, and decided to take a picture of it. To my surprise it actually came out.

Be sure to look at Popo in the distance.

Edited: sorry, had to remove, resize and re-post. I forgot to check pixel count, a lot of space on a photo with uniform color makes for a large photo with modest size. Hope this is better.

Name:	IMG_0288.JPG 
Views:	1160 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	413316  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors