Moctezumas Tomb

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Moctezuma's Tomb

(From another thread) >>hidden underground in Central Mexico like they did with most of their temples and pyramids which now look like hills in the landscape.

That is pretty much what I saw yesterday. I have wanted to see the place called Moctezuma's tomb, since I first heard about it, as I described on another thread.

My wife's uncle across the mountain in another village is over 90, has prostate cancer, and by all standards should have been dead long ago if he were in a nursing home in the US. Cousin V. calls me several times a week to drive him over, to deal with some issue or another, usually health and pain related. I joke I have to drive for him, because he is too old. This is a joke because he is ten years younger than I am. But, he doesn't like to drive if he can avoid it, especially at night. I drove around 5,000 miles last October, almost to Canada.

Yesterday afternoon, V. called, and said, "Would you like to visit Moctezuma's tomb, then go to see the uncle?" Um, yeah, I think so.

My wife, just back from a month in the States, chose to go, too. Also, V.'s 10 year old son.

We took the highway south, which isn't really aligned north and south which confuses me at times when I am looking at satellite. (Also, when I give a direction here, it is also off by quite a few degrees.) He told me to turn off into a dirt and rock road, rather rough. We followed the road which exists only to allow access by farmers to their crops. A lot of mud, and at times the Sienna would bump something underneath.

He thought the tomb was west of the dirt road. We parked and started walking. When we encountered a farmer and his son planting corn, V. asked where Moctezuma's tomb was. Oops! The man pointed south, not west. After making sure we understood which hill he meant, we went back to the car and drove further.

When we decided further car travel was inappropriate, we parked out of the way and started walking.

I don't want you to think the fields are perfectly flat, because they are not, but their variation is in the range of a meter or two, not hilly - until you really hit a hill at the edge of the fields. The first picture was taken from the tomb to show you what they are like. My car is visible in the distance on my viewer, but it has to be enlarged until the car is no more than pixels, but it isn't especially important.

These fields are roughly 6150 feet above sea level. I forgot my altimeter and am estimating off the GPS.

The hill we were seeking is roughly 6400 fee above the sea.

The second picture is from the base of the hill, and yes, that is a man on top of the tomb. Because of all the growth, it is very hard to get a really good picture overall of the tomb any better than this one, though in future visits, I will try. (You do know there will be future visits, don't you, heh, heh? It is only 7 km from my house.)

When one reaches the top, and studies a while, there is a base, several times wider than the tomb, then the 'tomb' is built up another 30 or so feet. V. said 23 feet, but I think it's more. Next time I will get someone in the picture so I can calculate it better. There are a number of holes in both the base and the top of the tomb, but these may well be the product of those digging for treasure. I am told treasure hunting works better when you are drunk. The confidence level goes way up. :hello2:

Evidence indicates it was an existing structure, maybe 30 or 40 feet across. It looks at a glance like a pile of dirt and rocks, but a wall is visible on one side. See next picture, that is impossible in nature in my opinion.

V. said it is believed it existed as some sort of structure, and when the 'foreigners' came, they went to work and covered it up, as was stated on the other thread. Other ruins not far away were treated the same way. In some cases, when they remove the fill dirt, the ruins are in fair shape.

Next picture gives a view of the mound from one side, standing outside the base. This sort of small mound sticking up out of nowhere is rare or nonexistent in this area. I came to the conclusion that it is definitely a man-made mound, and as I said, the wall on one side makes it clear it was some sort of structure before the dirt and rocks was tossed on.

A personal theory is, based on the view from the top, it may have been a look-out tower, or conversely a beacon tower. This is apparently on what was a trade route from Oaxaca to Tenochtitlan (currently Mexico City) and not far away is an indigenous fort which operated a protection racket. Er, I mean they provided armed protection (from themselves) if the merchants paid the significant toll. It is believed the tribe lit signal fires at night in high places to guide them in if they arrived at night. Either way, this thing, whatever it is, is strategically located for either purpose.

There are several smaller mounds with the same artificial appearance, no more than a hundred feet away, as if there are smaller buildings underneath. Smaller, of course, but the same man-made appearance, and not consistent with other shapes in these hills.

One of them has several places near the top that look to be made of concrete, see last picture. This is also not something that one finds here. I checked with my nail, and it is not as strong as concrete, I was able to chip off small pieces.

V. is a builder, and he said, "Cal". The term used here for quick-lime, which is the basis for stucco type coverings. I do not know if the ancients had that or cement. They certainly had plenty of material, the hills are made of a form of limestone, closer to travertine marble than the crude limestone I knew in the Midwest. I would not think cal would last this long, but perhaps it was covered with dirt and only recently became visible from rain erosion. It would take an experienced researcher to give us better answers than my wild guesses.

Could Moctezuma be buried inside that mound? Who knows? Out here in the boonies, in older times, oral tradition had a way of steering a straight line for a long time. So, while I am not sticking my neck out to say he is buried there, I will say it is within the realm of possibility, and that it is unlikely we will ever know. But, the name, Moctezuma's Tomb is known by those who live nearby. Yet, V., an inveterate explorer, 58 years old, did not know where it was.

Note: The spelling was not always Moctezuma. A birth certificate in the local church spelled it as Mocteuctzoma, and there were other spellings in early days. In the US it is spelled Montezuma.

Enough, I will add another posting if I can think of it.

Attachments

• IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 1,399
  • IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 1,396
  • IMG_1246.JPG
    IMG_1246.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 1,385
  • IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 1,399
  • IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 1,367
OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Re: Moctezuma's Tomb

Here is a picture from the top of the tomb, of a smaller mound. Sorry the quality and view isn't better. It is no secret I am not a pro.

Attachments

• IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 1,378

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been watching for you to post again and hoping you would get a chance to visit the "tomb." The photos are great and your descriptions are spot on and easy to follow.

About the only comment I can make is that I agree that the one photo clearly shows some kind of stone wall built up there - at least that spot is definitely not natural.

As you said, it's likely nobody will ever really know what the heck it is or if anything/anyone is buried there. Ground penetrating radar would probably be interesting to use just to see if there are signs of open voids underneath, but those are expensive to get ahold of.

What an interesting place to live!

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

Why, thank you for the kind words.

It is interesting to live here. In many ways. I cannot say everyone would like it here, but to my surprise I am much more adaptable than I thought, and love it in this Third World village - as long as the Internet keeps working. :D

Another example, digging for my wife's genealogy, which goes several directions, including 99.999% probability of being descendants of the family of Moctezuma, though probably not the Emperor himself as they thought, I can dig on FamilySearch.org, and find ancestors well back into the 18th Century.

I could easily go back farther, but in the early parts of the 19th Century, the priests failed to include surnames on the certificates. >:( The doctoral students who proved the tie to the family of Moctezuma had access to old records in the State Capitol that I would never be allowed to see.

Several genealogists working for over 40 years were unable to prove the identity of my Irish g-g-grandfather, until a brother, now LDS, found it in a vault in SLC. What a difference!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

Tag post; please ignore <fascinating subject, great photos and I look forward to reading more!> Thank you for sharing this amigo Piegrande! :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ola Pie grande : He sido esperando este por quien sabe que tanto tiempo, pero ahora ya se va a commenzer su trabajo mayor.. Gracias.

HI Big foot, I have been waiting for this for who knows how long, but now your major work is starting, thanks.

Don Jose de La Mancha el *Tropical Trampo*

p.s. Incidently, your pictures are excellent. However if you return there, I would love a close up of that Wall showing it's actual construction materiel?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

piegrande,

Those really are fascinating photos and stories.

Can you share your wife's family history for the following:

When was Moctezuma entombed? If he was buried with honors, why was he accorded those honors? What is their opinion on how he was killed?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

>>When was Moctezuma entombed? If he was buried with honors, why was he accorded those honors? What is their opinion on how he was killed?

I must apologize. I tried on both threads to distinguish between that which is known to be true, or which has been proven true, and legends.

If this thread caused anyone to think I know Moctezuma is truly buried in this man-made mound, I have mis-stated myself.

I will not say he is buried there. And, I will not say he is NOT buried there. Either conjecture would be fool-hardy.

I presented these legends, and those which will follow, to point out that legends about Moctezuma being moved to Utah or Arizona are not the only possible events. It is even possible that the same legends here are present in other parts of Mexico. The legend that the local family had ancestors from Moctezuma's family are true. Note Moctezuma may have been only 19 or 20 when killed, not sure, but that is what I have been told. So, he personally would not have many offspring.

Since all we have to go on is the name used for these ruins, and it is not proved he is there, there is no way to guess when he was buried.

Last night, I was showing these two postings to friends, who were fascinated by the pictures and the comments.

When I told them that some theorize that the Aztecs took the treasure and the body to AZ or Utah, they laughed and laughed.

They said it is a tonteria (foolishness) to imagine while many Aztecs were dying of various diseases, and a large death toll from the battles had decimated the city, that the hundreds of men needed for such a long expedition would spend many months on such a trip.

There were too many good places, within his 'kingdom' to hide things, without taking on hostile tribes for many months, along with the logistics of finding food for that many for that long a time. Also. the Aztecs consistently claimed they had no idea where their home was, they had wandered a long time and had no idea where their origin was.

(Not to offend, just reporting the views of educated Mexicans.)

As far as how he was killed, that is well documented. The Spanish said the Aztecs assassinated him for treason, the Aztecs said the Spanish killed him. ;D The date is known, just find the wikipedia for Moctezuma II.

As far as the request for more information, I suspect it will not be long before I go back, and will try to get a better perspective in many ways now that I know enough to make plans. I already have a request to see it from a friend.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

More legends, though I believe historians have said there is a possible basis for these tales.

First, it is alleged Moctezuma when he came here, ate fresh fish from the ocean every day.

There is even a theory to explain how this was done.

Aztecs had no horses nor horse-like creatures. No llamas. No alpacas. No wheeled carts, nothing.

Slaves carried heavy loads, and covered long distances. It is stated that they had a system of runners between Vera Cruz and Tenochtitlan. Sort of like the Pony Express with humans. Anything small sent from VC would move around 8 to 10 mph around the clock, not a big feat for good couriers with only a few miles to run.

From VC to Tenochtitlan would be no more than 24 hours, by my estimate.

But, the legend says fresh. The explanation for this is they had a system of runners going up the Pico de Orizaba (volcano) to get snow and running it, well wrapped, to the correct places to ice the fish. Maybe also Popo, closer to the city.

If you think this is crazy, so did I when I first heard it. As I learn more about the Aztecs, the more I believe it. If it weren't true, it's only because the Emperor didn't order it. It would only take a few hundred slaves to implement it, and they used to sacrifice more than that at minor festivals.

Here is a URL which says the same thing, though my wife heard it within the family as a little girl, remember she has ancestry from the Moctezuma family. http://www.unexplainable.net/artman/publish/article_2711.shtml

Next, is the claim the Aztecs had a system of mirror signaling which, when the sun was out, allowed them to send messages long distances. Allegedly, when the ships of Cortes landed at Vera Cruz, Tenochtitlan knew about it IN HALF AN HOUR!!!

Articles I have read on the topic indicate this mirror signaling also was used in pioneer days in the Southern US, wherever mountains allowed the practice.

Same deal. If they didn't do it, it was only because they didn't think of it, because they had plenty of scientific ability and plenty of slave power.

Here is a link which refers to this, with some other interesting history on the Aztecs.

http://www.historum.com/showthread.php?t=8670

I don't know if these tales are true, but I'd like to.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

I just received a PM from someone, asking for some help with something, and asking where I lived. I thought I indicated I was not going to disclose that information, and I assumed most would understand that decision. I am still thinking it over, but suspect when I have thought it over, I will be offended at the question.

How many of you would take a different approach in my shoes?

By the way, the information may, or may not, get out. A niece is working on her thesis for her degree in tourism, and is working on a project for this community. I sent her the pictures, and if she decided to include it as a tourist attraction, it may get out. But, she will be able to deal with it as a trained professional.

I kind of think it would be part of a tourist attraction, to take tourists to see a place called Moctezuma's tomb, yes?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

Hola amigo;
First, in my opinion there is no need to apologize, this is after all the "Treasure Legends" part of the forum, so you know we often post stories that cannot be proven by official records. Besides, just because a story has been passed down orally through a family, does not mean that it is false, or even inaccurate. Oral histories have been shown to be surprisingly accurate, the most common 'error' that creeps in is that of dropping time; as when recounting the deeds of generations, a particular ancestor who did nothing especially notable might get forgotten and thus the timeline drifts off a bit due to this. For that matter, even the story of Troy from Homer, is believed to have been just the writing down of what was only an oral legend, and Troy certainly existed and was destroyed.

I have to agree with your argument about Moctezuma's body being transported so far north, it does not make sense.

Piegrande wrote
I just received a PM from someone, asking for some help with something, and asking where I lived. I thought I indicated I was not going to disclose that information, and I assumed most would understand that decision. I am still thinking it over, but suspect when I have thought it over, I will be offended at the question.

How many of you would take a different approach in my shoes?

By the way, the information may, or may not, get out. A niece is working on her thesis for her degree in tourism, and is working on a project for this community. I sent her the pictures, and if she decided to include it as a tourist attraction, it may get out. But, she will be able to deal with it as a trained professional.

I kind of think it would be part of a tourist attraction, to take tourists to see a place called Moctezuma's tomb, yes?

Well I think it was a bit rude to ask where you live after you said you wish to keep your privacy; I don't make it secret where I live, but as we have been camping for almost five years and moving several times, it doesn't matter. If I knew the location of such a find as you have, I don't think I would want people showing up on my doorstep.

I hope that you get a chance to check it out fully before it becomes a tourist attraction, as it will be a different thing then and you will not be free to study it well.

I look forward to reading more, thank you in advance; :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Actually, I tend to be a very open person. My wife complains I share too much with others, but my view is that is how one makes friends. Closed, secretive people tend to think others are unfriendly. I find the locals here to be warm and generous, and she doesn't. ;D

But, you nailed it. If we had an invasion, even a small one, of treasure hunters on private family property, my name would be Mudd!

I know treasure hunters are much like most people, that is across the spectrum. But, we have all known a few hunters who show total disregard for property rights, and it only takes a few to really mess things up.

My most likely guess the first thing that would happen, if anything happens, is UNAM researchers, or government officials would show up asking to be shown the ruins. Though I think I did give the GPS data to my niece. If they decide it's important, one of the first things they do, apparently, is find someone to spend most of his time out there for modest pay to watch it, until it is investigated.

Before it was opened for tourism, it would thus first be evaluated by those who know about such things. Heck, they may already know it's there. But, the indigenous fort the other direction was known by locals forever, but the archaeologists only 'discovered' it a couple decades ago.

Also, thanks for your comments on oral tradition. Even though we don't yet know what the reason is, there is some reason the people living and working next to it, call it Moctezuma's Tomb. That doesn't mean he was buried there; the Aztecs might have told the local people that he was buried there to disguise his real burial place. They did not conquer most of Mexico by being totally honest or stupid.

I don't know if I mentioned that a man told me when he was digging to build a house somewhere in this village, they encountered a burial, a body with cloth wrappings, and ceremonial cups. The priests did not use ceremonial cups.

They thought it over, and knowing the government is capable of doing almost anything when antiquities are found, moved the body to another place and did not report it, and built the house as planned. A loss to science, but to report it might well mean a loss of everything to that family.

My experience has been that in the long run the members of society find a way to keep things going, no matter what the government wants to do.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

Cubfan, your posting on GPR prompted me to Google the topic. Gosh, wouldn't it be fun to have one in a place like this?

Anything that rents for nearly $3000 a month and the dealers decline to even state a sale price, is obviously out of my range, but I am curious. Any idea at all what one of those things sells for, like the SIR-3000? Or, I guess anything a person could carry around.

Wouldn't those be a nice "won the lottery" toy? Dang!

Based on a $3000 monthly rental, I would guess $30,000 to $50,000, but that is just a wild guess.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

Reading the many threads here, one common theory is that Moctezuma was being jeered by the people, thus no one would have made a big fuss over his body.

Actually, he had a large, extended family and they may well have acted like family and taken care of his body, even as the general populace mocked him. Just saying.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

Hee, hee.

THE PLOT THICKENS.

Ha, ha.

Moctezuma must have been more badly hurt than they thought when they killed him.

Ho, ho.

My wife is back, so I took her to Baptist Temple in the village near where the place called Moctezuma's Tomb is.

I talked to the pastor's SIL, and told her I had been to the Tomb. I pointed "south", and she said, "No, it's that way." And, pointed "west".

He was so cut to ribbons they buried him in two tombs? :laughing9:

I explained what I saw, and she said the one her brothers have seen is a tetele, which my wife says is like a mound. I have no idea what is the difference between a mound, and a, um, mound.

She also said there is a hacienda there. I am guessing that is the ruins of an estate house of some kind, not just any old house.

She said they are planting now, so they can't take me at this time.

I am going to look at satellite and see if anything is visible.

So, near here are two places known as the tomb of Moctezuma and people within 5 miles don't seem to know anything about the other one?

The good news is, I don''t have to pay for all this fun!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hehe - makes one wonder if every other community has a "Moctezuma's Tomb." :)

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

With absolutely no cynicism at all, I also wonder how many other communities have the same legends. I think it would be important information.

One reason it is believable here is because Moctezuma owned land, and in later years, until about 1911 the Moctezuma family still owned land, until the last Moctezuma, a female, died, probably of flu. She is one of a very small number of people buried in the church property, since it was allegedly illegal to do so.

Yet, the Moctezuma family was big enough there were family members located all over the place. Looking at the LDS database, in the early 1600's, there were many of that name in different places. Most were in DF, which is where Moctezuma himself lived and died, so that makes sense.

So, anywhere Moctezuma's lived at that time, were choices of places to bury him or any treasure.

Good point!

This place was known to him, and thus to his family; servants; and slaves. But that does not say other places were not also known. One assumes if they were in a hurry to do something, they would select a place known to them, instead of needing to hunt for a good place.

Since I try to keep legend and truth separate, this posting is high probability, not part of the legend.

Infosponge

Jul 20, 2006
Too close to the border
Detector(s) used
They went that way <<<<<>>>>>>

Howdy Piegrande,

Very interesting and informative, thank you for sharing.

Multiple mounds is intresting in the fact that one of the mounds could hold human remains, and the other treasure. Another possibility for multiple mounds might be "ploy mounds" with nothing in them, or they didn't want to put all the eggs in one basket, which might mean even more mounds scattered about the country side. Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Infosponge

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

You have good ideas.

Another possibility, of course, is there were different functions in different places. For example the original ruins in the pictures above are placed such that I suspect its original function was some sort of lookout, or beacon tower, since their income depended upon not letting the merchant travelers get by. You can see by the two photos with views that they had a really good view of the area for quite a distance.

I am accused good naturedly of "fomenting" an interest in the local history. Guilty as charged, your honor.

My best friend, or his wife, depending upon who is listening, is an extremely intelligent woman, self-educated since her dad pulled her out of school in the early 70's after primary, telling her women don't need education. I assumed for a long time she was a university graduate, not a primary school graduate.

She gets bored here in the village, because there are few intellectuals. in this town, and no other intellectual women. Thursday night, I pulled up this URL on her computer, and she used Google to translate the two threads I originated. She was so enthused and excited that she was bouncing all over the place.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tell Her to participate in Spanish if she wishes, she is welcome. Among us we should be able to bi-translate enough for Her to have fun. Also tell her my wife is an Alamos, Sonora gal.

Don Jose de La Mancha el *Tropical Trampo*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread