Cibola Or NOT?????????

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this picture while searching pics of the Grand Canyon, just off to the right is a structure in the mountain side with what looks like stairs and a door opening. Will try to post another picture of that later...... :o

Attachments

• cibola.jpg
    cibola.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 21,623
  • cibola1.jpg
    cibola1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,882

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Nice picture, but I see nothing of interest in the circled areas - just rocks and shadows. Better, closer photos would be needed if you need to examine them further. Buy the way, why do you say 'Cibola'?

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
Nice picture, but I see nothing of interest in the circled areas - just rocks and shadows. Better, closer photos would be needed if you need to examine them further. Buy the way, why do you say 'Cibola'?
You need to look a little harder, come with all the crap that people on here say that they see in pictures of hearts and animal picture trying to find The Lost Dutchman. Here you say you see nothing, WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relax DT: You asked for opinions, so don't be upset to receive them, even if they may not agree wth your's.. I for one, see your 'stairs' quite clearly, but unfortunately they are simply erosion of the strata. Follow each step (?) to the left or right and you will see a layer coresponding to them.

Incidentially, each step would probably be perhaps 10 ft high.

I agree, you did a surperb job in spotting the layer / steps. Keep it up my friend, but remember Cibola was a large settlment.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
dtpost said:
You need to look a little harder, come with all the crap that people on here say that they see in pictures of hearts and animal picture trying to find The Lost Dutchman. Here you say you see nothing, WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

Sorry, DT, but I'm not a proponent of using pareidolia as a 'treasure hunting' tool. Not that we can't find rocks that resemble other things - we can, by the thousands, everywhere. However, for me personally, I'll stick with locating man made clues as a reason to proceed. It increases your odds by many orders of magnitude, IMO.

I think the Grand Canyon is an excellent venue for searching for places of mystery, what with the Hopi mythology, et al. Having once spent a week down there in obscure side canyons, I know that much of the canyon has never been walked on - by white folk anyway.

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
dtpost said:

Sorry, DT, but I'm not a proponent of using pareidolia as a 'treasure hunting' tool. Not that we can't find rocks that resemble other things - we can, by the thousands, everywhere. However, for me personally, I'll stick with locating man made clues as a reason to proceed. It increases your odds by many orders of magnitude, IMO.

I think the Grand Canyon is an excellent venue for searching for places of mystery, what with the Hopi mythology, et al. Having once spent a week down there in obscure side canyons, I know that much of the canyon has never been walked on - by white folk anyway.
Hey it's cool guys just thought it was interesting when I saw these things and thought I would post it!! :icon_thumright:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was taught that i grew up near the seven cities. How about you Springfield? Anyway, I have worked places that have had alot of things I wish I had taken pictures of, and researched better. I am surpised that we see a young fella that pays attn, Because I definately did not when I was young. Think about the cliff dwellings that must be in that canyon. Keep your eyes open DT, I think that Don Jose has it right on this one but stay aware!

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These cave dwellings ???

Attachments

• cavedwellings.jpg
    cavedwellings.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2,262

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting picture depost, I clearly see what appears to be a structure ( abode )
with stairs coming up to it. And the doorway to the right of the structure.

To the right of the picture, would I be right, in that the face you have in the circle,
is facing right. Would be left on the rock.

The door and square, at top of the picture is obvious.

As I said, interesting picture. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Roadquest

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roadquest said:
Interesting picture depost, I clearly see what appears to be a structure ( abode )

To the right of the picture, would I be right, in that the face you have in the circle,

Roadquest
Yes the face is left on the stone, I also posted a picture of the cave dwellings. The second arrow moving from left to right on the first picture there is a face of an animal, can't say what type of animal it is though. The (adobe) as you pointed out looks like it was an original part of the rocks, but you can't mistake the stairs. They are flat and look to be cut into the side of the face of the mountain. As someone pointed out Cibola was a big place, and yes so is the Grand Canyon :icon_thumright:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dt, we were taught that the seven cities of cibola were a misinterperatation and that the spaniards came up the center of New Mexico, I have seen Spanish writing and found a spanish bit on a packrat nest. Wish we had the internet as a resource back then. As I was a young fella,, I wonder what my dad would have noticed. East of us, on some mesas fairly close to buffalo wallows,, and on some mesas near a ranch where we had some really good friends.
Trying to draw my dad into this, lets see what he says. :laughing7:

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
DT: you posted --> These cave dwellings
Thats cheating, I would love to examine them. I wonder how many kiddies they lost there?

Don Jose de La Mancha
lol ;D :read2:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must just not have a very vivid imagination. The only thing I clearly see is the phenomenal photo of the cliff dwellings. Those look fantastic and in remarkably good condition!

Everything else I have to REALLY stretch my mind to make it look like anything more than just rocks and shadows. It would seem that most of the things you're trying to point out (stairs, doorways, adobes) would be far too enormous if you look at the perspective of things from the photo.

The close-up photo of the cliff dwellings - is that area shown from a distance in any of the first two photos?

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
DT: you posted --> These cave dwellings
Thats cheating, I would love to examine them. I wonder how many kiddies they lost there?

Don Jose de La Mancha
Mom, Dad I'm going outside to play for awhile. Opps I slipped, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, SPLAT

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64 said:
I must just not have a very vivid imagination. The only thing I clearly see is the phenomenal photo of the cliff dwellings. Those look fantastic and in remarkably good condition!

Everything else I have to REALLY stretch my mind to make it look like anything more than just rocks and shadows. It would seem that most of the things you're trying to point out (stairs, doorways, adobes) would be far too enormous if you look at the perspective of things from the photo.

The close-up photo of the cliff dwellings - is that area shown from a distance in any of the first two photos?
Well everyone has an opinion, but let me ask you, have you ever heard of anyone being able to go over to the North Rim and stand on it? Are there any observation decks on that side of the canyon.......... ???

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are a few places, the National park service has a great old campground and cabins for rent, we stayed there a couple nights, CCCCCold. And there is a big observation deck that was built lately and overhangs the canyon,, It wasn't done when we were there but it looked cool. North Rim I say.

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave44 said:
Yes there are a few places, the National park service has a great old campground and cabins for rent, we stayed there a couple nights, CCCCCold. And there is a big observation deck that was built lately and overhangs the canyon,, It wasn't done when we were there but it looked cool. North Rim I say.
Yes would love to get some pictures from a helicopter while flying through there

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roadquest said:

Roadquest
After looking at the picture with inverted colors, there appears to be corner marks that look to be faces in the stone, check out under the white arrows, you'll see them Roadquest......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread