Pictures of Aztec Money

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monette:

May I bid you a hearty welcome as well.
The first few posts in this thread give the general location of the finds.Most of the subsequent debate centres around the use of the descriptive term "Aztec Hoe Money"...should it be called "Aztec" and should it be called "Money".
Another area which could be explored,would be "Aztec Shell Money".

Regards:SH.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if these interesting money devices have ever been carbondated ?
Looking at their shapes they look like large pins, and a crown with a pin bottom.
Knowing that Copper Conducts Electricty,Im thinking they may have been used in
some type of mechanical or electrical device, therefore in my thinking,they may date
to the building of the pyramids. Its possible they were first located inside or near a
pyramid.To know for sure what their full chemical makeup is could indeed give more imformation.
Are they magnetic ?, do they move a compass needle ? Could be part of a electronic perimeeter gate.who knows I dont.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if these interesting money devices have ever been carbondated ?
Looking at their shapes they look like large pins, and a crown with a pin bottom.
Knowing that Copper Conducts Electricty,Im thinking they may have been used in
some type of mechanical or electrical device, therefore in my thinking,they may date
to the building of the pyramids. Its possible they were first located inside or near a
pyramid.To know for sure what their full chemical makeup is could indeed give more imformation.
Are they magnetic ?, do they move a compass needle ? Could be part of a electronic perimeeter gate.who knows I dont.

Don't know either,Motel,
If they had electricity,what would they use it for ?
Lava Lamps ?
Neon signs...?..."Welcome to The Sacrifice Bar and Grill"
* - Happy Hour 3-6 - *

If they did,they could have used electrolysis to gold-plate the "hoe money".
And really sucker them Conquistadors into thinking they were onto something good.

Last edited:

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I needed a good laugh before breakfast, I can just imagine the outcome if the Spanish were given fake gold,Im sure a scorched earth nazi plan would have been the 1st conquisador order of the day.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With smallpox and the wrecking iron,such a policy was unnecessary.
The only thing I ever got from the Aztecs,was a Tequila Hangover.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
With smallpox and the wrecking iron,such a policy was unnecessary.
The only thing I ever got from the Aztecs,was a Tequila Hangover.

Wayne,

Pulque was the drink of the Aztecs. Legend has It that the drink was introduced by a lady named Xochitl . She herself, may only be legend. Xochitl is only one of many Legends concerning the creation of Pulque.

Take care,

Joe

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee Joe:

Thanks.
I probably read that somewhere once....but the Tequila made me forget.:tongue3:

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Wayne,

Back in the day when I was a drinker, I got up close and personal with many a double shot of ta-kill-ya. To be honest, I'm glad those days are behind me.

Take care,

Joe

kimikiri

Jun 4, 2011
Central, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Garrett ACE 350, Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real "currency" of the Aztec which their whole economy was based on was blood. Human captives to be sacrificed to their gods was what made their world go round. Military rank was actually based on how many captives one brought to the altar. Cacao beans were used as a medium for exchange as well, with records citing the exchange value of tomatoes, rabbits, and prostitutes in beans. It is interesting to note that bean husks were sometimes filled with mud and passed off as "counterfeit" money.

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Kimikiri,

Except for "blood" being the real Aztec currency, I agree with your statement. Blood was not a medium of exchange in their society. Blood was required, in their religion, to keep the sun in place and continue the survivial of the world.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Kimikiri,

Here is a little insight into the real Aztec world:

"Whereas many earlier scholars restricted their studies to lords, temples, gods, and the cities, the advances of social archaeology and recent ethnohistory now give us access to peasants, workshops and villages. Themes that were unheard of two decades ago, such as women's roles, farming methods, domestic crafts, and standards of living, are now topics of active research." Michael E. Smith, "The Aztecs".

The early works of the Aztec historians, including the Aztecs themselves, focused on the sensational aspects of Aztec life, such as the blood sacrifices to keep the sun moving across the sky. The legend of how that came about is a fascinating tale.

Who knows? Maybe a number of centuries from now, the historians will be writing about life in America based on the people in Hollywood and Washington DC.

Take care,

Joe

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Who knows? Maybe a number of centuries from now, the historians will be writing about life in America based on the people in Hollywood and Washington DC."

And arguing over why the folks in Hollywood and DC had all the gold,while the rest of us had only copper.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Monette:

The first few posts in this thread give the general location of the finds.Most of the subsequent debate centres around the use of the descriptive term "Aztec Hoe Money"...should it be called "Aztec" and should it be called "Money".

Actually some of the "axe money" is known to be religious artifacts. Those would be the artifacts that are shaped like a mushroom.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I needed a good laugh before breakfast, I can just imagine the outcome if the Spanish were given fake gold,Im sure a scorched earth nazi plan would have been the 1st conquisador order of the day.

Yes......Perhaps they might have gotten upset enough to kill some folks.:o

It's amazing what people will try when they are being killed by the hundreds of thousands. Can you imagine???

Take care,

Joe

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually some of the "axe money" is known to be religious artifacts. Those would be the artifacts that are shaped like a mushroom.

Take care,

Joe

I've heard that money still is by some. One form which comes to mind,is the "almighty dollar".
Were the Aztects described by historians as "rolling in it" during their ceremonial events,perhaps ?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK OK hiker just what are you referring to in your lil sub statement ?? --> Hell,you ain't never too old to look!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being as you are my bosom buddy, you now have permision to look at my mule any time that you wish.

Don Jose de La Mancha

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some type of maya obseratory was just recentlly discoveredmaybe this will shed more light on so called aztec money,but I will tell you this,I had to leave Utah,brcause the motel I was staying at allowed Meth makers and dealers to move in,for greenbacks of course,then the motorcycle gang enforcers showed up, and then the night buyers started arriveing,and we moved out faster than you can say Aztec.You could smell the meth being cooked as fumes carried through the walls and up the sink pipes...Has anyone heard of the (devils breath) being used on persons in Columbia, sorry,could stop my rant,Im just 1 pissed off senior Aztec.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some type of maya obseratory was just recentlly discoveredmaybe this will shed more light on so called aztec money,but I will tell you this,I had to leave Utah,brcause the motel I was staying at allowed Meth makers and dealers to move in,for greenbacks of course,then the motorcycle gang enforcers showed up, and then the night buyers started arriveing,and we moved out faster than you can say Aztec.You could smell the meth being cooked as fumes carried through the walls and up the sink pipes...Has anyone heard of the (devils breath) being used on persons in Columbia, sorry,could stop my rant,Im just 1 pissed off senior Aztec.

Mayan discovery:

Unprecedented Maya Mural Found, Contradicts 2012 "Doomsday" Myth

Scopolamine (devils breath):

Google "gizmodo devils breath" for a documentary

aka the "zombie drug" and long used in Haiti for voodoo rituals as well as other places.

Seriously bad stuff...........

Regards:SH

...wonder if there was any connection with the recent Secret Service scandal in Columbia ??

If so,then National/Presidential Security would be a HUGE concern.

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK OK hiker just what are you referring to in your lil sub statement ?? --> Hell,you ain't never too old to look!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being as you are my bosom buddy, you now have permision to look at my mule any time that you wish.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Thanks Don,but I'll have to decline your generous offer for now.
I ain't THAT old !
And I haven't been out in the mountains long enough to look at no mule the way you do :love10:

FEMF

Sep 10, 2009
Monette:

Hello Somehiker
You have my attention, shell money was used in Arizona by the Hohokam? Maybe a connection with trade? Anybody Know any back ground on Aztec shell money, or if they used it?
FEMF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions