Pictures of Aztec Money

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reviving this thread with a question. Hello all. (I posted this in the metal detecting forum before I saw this thread).
I dug this item about 18 months ago at an old home site near Nashville. No one has ever been able to ID it. I sent a pic in to American Digger magazine and they put it in their STUMPT section, but I never heard any diagnosis until today when I opened the latest issue to see my ancient mushroom bottle opener once again. Baton Rouge historian Billy Spedale wrote in to say that the item is almost identical to one he got in trade years ago from a collector (now deceased). The collector claimed that it was a form of currency used by Aztec, Inca, Mayan, or other early American civilizations. He said the one he had had a small ink numeral on it, indicating that had at one time been part of a collection. Anyone know anything more?

I've since been searching images of Aztec currency and have seen things that resemble this item, but not exactly.

View attachment 1045229 View attachment 1045230

Its a bottle opener

Mike

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, it's been a long time. That stupid "America Unearthed" show brought me back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread