Pictures of Aztec Money

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.

Attachments

• Aztec hoe money 5.jpg
    Aztec hoe money 5.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 5,800
  • Hoe money.jpg
    Hoe money.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 4,458

Hoze513

Dec 7, 2010
Joliet, ILL.
Detector(s) used
Bh Pioneer 505 Fisher f2 Spectrum XLT
wow That is beautiful and extremely rare. That is something you keep for ever and maybe one day pass it on to a museum. :icon_farao:

OP
OP
Richard Ray

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
The rest of the caches are in museums, this is just my cut for locating the caches. Many items I've located over the years are in museums, Calif, New York, Dallas, Costa Rica, Mexico and others...
Richard Ray

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
That is interesting to me especially because I am working my way through the genealogy of Moctezuma II (known as Montezuma in the US) because my wife's family seems to somehow be descended from his family, but not him as they long believed. I just ran across a few articles online questioning if the Aztecs actually used money as such before they were exposed to Spanish culture. I certainly have no opinion on the topic.

OP
OP
Richard Ray

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
" if the Aztec really used money before Spanish arrived?"
Piegrande: I don't know, I wasn't around then... LOL
Richard

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great pictures! Cool treasures to have.

All the best,

Lanny

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Richard Ray said:
" if the Aztec really used money before Spanish arrived?"
Piegrande: I don't know, I wasn't around then... LOL
Richard

Neither was I, but my wife's ancestors were.

Also, there were people writing after Cortes came, in later years, from their personal memories. The problem is those books in many cases are not only in Spanish, but in some cases locked up in special libraries which can only be entered by those with special government authorization. Rats! So, I wait until a Ph.D. researcher accesses them, and writes a book which I then can buy.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I failed to say so before, but the fact you found metal objects which have been identified as Aztec money certainly indicates they used money before Cortes. Sorry about the error. This is exciting news to me.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Richard,

As far as I know, the pictures you have posted are copper/bronze tools. I believe they are chisels and chopping knives/scrapers. Cacao beans and textiles were the primary form of "money" for the Aztecs. Tools were used as a medium of trade, like any other product the people could produce.

I am no expert, so my opinion is simply based on what I have read over the years. Can you tell us when these objects were first considered "money" and who first advanced that theory?

Money was created to provide a medium that was more convenient than the barter system. It solved the double coincidence of wants problem inherent in the barter system.

Many thanks for starting such an interesting topic.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
It may be that the phrase "hoe money" was first coined (no pun intended) in the 1930s by an American named, Dr. J.H. Furbuy. He found the metal objects being used by Mano and Gio tribes in Liberia. It was called "hoe money" due to the fact that they were shaped like tools and weaponry.

The Aztec "hoe money" looks identical to the Liberian artifacts.

Joe

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is those books in many cases are not only in Spanish, but in some cases locked up in special libraries which can only be entered by those with special government authorization. Rats! So, I wait until a Ph.D. researcher accesses them, and writes a book which I then can buy.

Now there's a great argument for continued government funding of an institution like that............

You'd think it was the NSA.

Archaeologists. Harumph.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my professional and astute opinon those Copper forged items are definetly Aztec money. Copper was always a
considered a Precious metal , and although these items might have doubled as a tool,they more than likely were used to trade with and purchase other items or services.maybe tattooes,food,medicene,etc...Would you care to sell one ? not kidding.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they had "money" , per se. They were a Theocracy, with a fairly rigid social system with the priest class on top.

I think these were more a 'status' item.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Bum Luck,

You are probably correct. The Aztec did not have money "per se". It was more of a barter/trade system. The principle items that served for what we would call money were cacao beans and cotton (quachtli), which was a woven cotton cape or blanket and was used as currency as well as for payments of tribute.

Take care,

Joe

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Richard, I had no idea what Aztec money was until this thread. It must have really been something locating the caches. Was it all money?

Thanks for the post!

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck,

You are probably correct. The Aztec did not have money "per se". It was more of a barter/trade system. The principle items that served for what we would call money were cacao beans and cotton (quachtli), which was a woven cotton cape or blanket and was used as currency as well as for payments of tribute.

Take care,

Joe

Joe:

Worth 8,000 cacao beans.....sounds like money to me.

From the Smithsonian National Museum of American History website:

NMAH | Aztec Hoe Money

" this standardized, unstamped currency had a fixed worth of 8,000 cacao seeds—the other common unit of exchange in Mesoamerica."

Probably used because they were easier to carry around,and count.
For someone who had a lot of cacao beans.
And something else to trade with,if they had no blankets (also bulky in quantity).

Wonder how many for a gallon of gas ?

Regards:SH.

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Wayne,

I looked at that site some time ago. The Aztec did not start making tools with copper until the time of the conquistadors, as far as I know. What do you suppose someone would buy with 8,000 cacao beans? One good turkey hen was worth 100 full cacao beans? How easy do you suppose it was to go down to the street market to buy a few things for dinner......using "hoe money"?

Perhaps the Internet is not the best place to learn about Aztec money, or how they lived day to day.

Not saying the copper did not have value, just don't believe it was used as "Aztec money". The Aztec had a lot of copper.

Maybe I just don't have enough imagination.

Take care,

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread