any ideas what this is?

maya69

Dec 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted this in "mexico forum" and received 1 reply. This coin or token was found in Nayarit. 128.jpg 703.jpg Told it was found with others in a cave. It's gold in color with some dark impurities. Would appreciate any help or opinions. THANKS FELLAS:treasurechest:

Locozilla

May 1, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Ace 250
White's TRX
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its for sure Aztec, I will see if I can find the exact coin.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good morning, Don Jose,

From what country do you think this 'coin' originated?
If truly a coin from Mexico it would show the national emblem; and we know the Aztecs, per se, never minted coins.
Actually, I see no words on this piece nor denomination expressed--so I called it a token.
All the best,
Don.....

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning mac, join me for coffee? I tend to agree, the coin that I mentioned was too formalized for yours., among other things. I corrected my post. It probably was for the tourist trade and had a thin covering of Gold.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,
I prefer mine with 1/3 Kahlua; I'll bring it.
I also believe that if this 'coin' were a Mexican 5 peso coin (Nuevo Pesos) it would be marked "N$5"
Elsewhere; were is the next chapter of your book; I enjoyed that reading.
Don....

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Mac my friend, the coffee date is on , frankly, for you it is always on, but bring you own Kahlua.

What I was ultimately referring to was that it was probably a medallion made for the tourist trade in Mexico, prob even had a thin leaf of gold applied. I had jumped to a conclusion by the Eagle warrior symbol. A no no, never jump to conclusions ------ yet?.

When are you going to get Zimmerman's Gold in that sunken ship off of Baja in La Mar de Cortez?

As for reading my posts gracias mi amigo.(blushing) remember I live in manana land and am aclimated perfectly. Sides, I will live to 150, so no hurry, You 'will' be at my 150 th brithday party no?.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,
No problem with the 150th party; I'm nearly half way there already. As for Zimmerman's gold, you are, I'm sure, aware of the authority's opinion regarding marine treasure hunting in Mexico, so I'll say no more on that subject except: Back in the day, I saw a coin album filled with U.S. one dollar gold pieces retrieved off a Baja wreck. It hurts to write that some of the coins were scratched because the finder used a screwdriver to gouge out the coins held fast between the vessel's planks. But that was the extent of the salvage--so what might remain to be found if a proper venture could be approved ?????? it keeps my interest.
Don.....

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Maya69,

I believe the head profile is a fairly common, stylized, rendering of an Aztec warrior. Looks like a tourist trade item to me.:dontknow:

Aztec_Warrior.jpg

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread