Is a great Aztec treasure still waiting to be discovered?

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
It is part of our heritage that each person looks over the facts, then makes his interpretation of those facts. It is presumed the interpretations will be all over the spectrum.

But, do be sure to consider all options, if you want the best possible decision.

For example, it is not even certain there was a significant treasure left after Hernan Cortes did his bit. Opinions on that vary all over the place. Cortes was among many things a dreamer and an excellent con artist.

Second, why assume the treasure was buried in one place?

The Aztecs may have been bloodthirsty but they did not conquer so many people by being thick-headed. They were a crafty people, at least key leaders were. A key branch of his descendants, though the Aztecs were conquered, are today considered nobility in Spain, nearly 500 years later. That took some slick maneuvering! For descendants of a conquered people to become nobility thousands of miles away in the nation which conquered them!

I wrote on another thread when people posted that the treasure was taken north, that the Aztecs were more than capable of taking a treasure, or alleged treasure, and heading north out of Tenochtitlan, saying, "Bye, guys. Lookee, we are going north. Yep, north. Pass it on, we went North. One more time, don't forget, we went North."

While the treasure, or at least part of it, was headed southeast to known properties of the Emperors.

Or, more likely, if a lot of it existed, it may have been distributed to a number of sites, under the principle of, don't put all your nuggets in one basket.

The local legends where I live are the treasure was buried somewhere in this area, and that it took a week of digging to get the job done. I would say more accurately, the remnants of oral tradition said it.

It is also claimed there are tunnels running great distances from here. I do not believe that, because the mountains are marble, and travertine marble does not exist in the absence of large quantities of water. A tunnel system would soon enough be flooded.

This area was conquered in 1503, and extensive tunnels through rocks would take years and years, even with large quantities of strong slaves. Less than 20 years later, the Aztecs were literally fighting for their lives. So, that one I do not believe, for simple technical reasons. Though there may well have been well hidden short escape tunnels in key places for key people.

What I do not know is how many other places exist which were used by Moctezuma, and may also have local legends of the treasure being buried there. And, it may well be correct.

The educated Mexican people I know, and I refer to those who accept at least the possibility there is hidden treasure somewhere, chortle at the thought the Aztecs would take their great treasure over a thousand miles away. Ditto for Moctezuma's body.

In the end, I don't really know, nor does anyone here. Each person takes his best stab at it, and goes with it. That is the way it should be.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention someone, whose name and face I have forgotten, :laughing9: told me once a few years ago, a worker was excavating in this area for building a house. He encountered a buried body, with fabric around it, and what I would interpret as cermonial cups. The local church was up and running by 1620, based on church records, and so such burials had to be long before that.

Knowing what would happen if the government discovered an ancient burial, the body was allegedly buried at some distance and building continued. As much as that grosses me out, to miss such a valuable burial, it makes sense. Relatively poor people have to get by somehow.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Re: How About An Even Bigger Mayan Treasure

Badger Bart said:
Since someone mentioned Inca here... great site. There is a lot to be discovered in South America yet. It will take serious money to search, but I have no doubt that great finds can be made.

http://www.rickrichards.com/Ancient_Civilizations.htm

"Cryptic writing on a stone doorsill that was found in the ruins of the 16th century cathedral Tihosuco in Yucatan. It is believed to antedate the Mayans. The upper portion of the text appears to have been removed/ destroyed. Who wrote this text? and when?

Can you recognize the text style? Is it Phoenician? Latin? Celtic? Atlantian? It is NOT Mayan.
"

A city of gold that has drawn many explorers, none of whom have returned alive. Here's your chance to make history.

I suppose I will anger some, but take a look at that ancient text. Letters like N, R, e, F, d, and more are plainly visible.

The Latter Day Saints, somewhere on familysearch, in the indexing instructions (indexing is where volunteers look at old documents and transcribe them on digital forms for the genealogical data base) have instructions on interpreting older Spanish writing. They actually used some strange characters and abbreviations in addition to the obvious letters. I tried to index and gave it up as a lost cause. It might behoove you to look that up and read that text yourself. Do not applaud; just throw money. :headbang:

I took a minute and following the links, you are actually linked to the instruction pages on the BYU URL for the tutorial.

http://script.byu.edu/spanish/en/welcome.aspx

At the left top corner will be some links to ancient (1500 to 1800) Spanish handwriting.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Someone back in 2005 commented that in Mexican prisons the only intimate visit one would receive would be (another inmate.)

I live about half an hour from a major state prison, and at least once a week, maybe more often, a bus comes to our village and takes the wives and mates of the prisoners to that prison for that exact function. Many locals work there, and they all say the same thing, they do have connubial visits here. Mexican prisons are far from country clubs, but they do not have the inmate sexual abuse so common in the US.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Staying on topic, the elements are all there: documented riches, severe turmoil, massive and sudden die-off of nobility.

I'd say yes.

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Prospector
Ok, as stupid as this question may seem, I'm going to ask it anyway. ???

"IF" Aztec treasure never made it to America and it is deposited somewhere in Mexico (I know you've got to be way ahead of me here);

Why hasn't anyone, Government, Cartel or everyday people found it or even been looking for it? It's not like Mexico couldn't use a couple of hundred million dollars to add to their coffers...

Certainly, the Drug Cartel bosses could get the locals to look for it, dig for it, when they're not digging drug tunnels or whatever, they seem to be able to take control of everything else. ???

I think it made it out of harms way(Cortez) and that meant getting it back to the homelands of Aztlan in the southwest of what is now known as America.

But, what do I know, if I did I'd go get it. :icon_pirat:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Mileaway: you posted -->I think it made it out of harms way(Cortez) and that meant getting it back to the homelands of Aztlan in the southwest of what is now known as America.

Unfortunately Aztlan lies off of the coast of Spain, the shallows, the place of the reeds. It is incorrect propaganda that Aztlan ever existed in the US.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
HI Mileaway: you posted -->I think it made it out of harms way(Cortez) and that meant getting it back to the homelands of Aztlan in the southwest of what is now known as America.

Unfortunately Aztlan lies off of the coast of Spain, the shallows, the place of the reeds. It is incorrect propaganda that Aztlan ever existed in the US.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Thanks for cluing me in on that! :thumbsup:

I'm certainly not an expert on it that's for sure, and that being the case, I would imagine there is another name for the northern place referred to in so many writings?

Interesting to think of the Aztlan off of Spain and the once fertile valleys of the Anasazi.They too were written as the shallows, the place of reeds. Weird co-inky-dink. :dontknow:

Thanks, M

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hio M: Perhaps this may help clarify, as for the name Aztlan, I will do that shortly.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• a  .From Israel - Azatlan - North America to Mexico..jpg
    a .From Israel - Azatlan - North America to Mexico..jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,039
  • a  .From Israel - Azatlan - North America to Mexico..jpg
    a .From Israel - Azatlan - North America to Mexico..jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 841

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Great map DON!love the part, tall white bearded people move south....Must have been about the time of Tilicipozapan!!! :laughing7:

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
RELICDUDE07 said:
Great map DON!love the part, tall white bearded people move south....Must have been about the time of Tilicipozapan!!! :laughing7:

I agree, good map, where did that come from?(if you don't mind, please?)

As far as all white bearded people moving south; did you know that Jacob Waltz was known by the natives as "Julio" which translated means "Snowy Bread". :icon_scratch:huh...lol

Mileaway

Aug 15, 2011
Sonora,Ca
Detector(s) used
Speaking of good maps, feast your eyes on this one. Take your time and absorb it all. :read2: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Phoenician Ship on Globe 5a.jpg
    Phoenician Ship on Globe 5a.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 800
  • Phoenician Ship on Globe 4.jpg
    Phoenician Ship on Globe 4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Phoenician Ship on Globe 1.jpg
    Phoenician Ship on Globe 1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 929
  • Phoenicain Ship 3.JPG
    Phoenicain Ship 3.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 945
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mile away You posted --> I agree, good map, where did that come from?(if you don't mind, please?)
I have to thank cubber for that information he posted -->Janiece and RDT - the map/schematic you posted RDT came from David Allen Deal's book "Discovery of Ancient America."

There are literally tons of data on that, which I have never seen until the past few days. sheesh.

Don jose de La Mancha

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Amigos,

I have no books on the subject, but I think I remember reading sometime ago that the Aztec took the treasure north, crossed a desert, then a river, and concealed it there.

Could it be possible that the seven caves may be a misunderstanding on the story? Maybe lost in translation, or the retelling of the story before it got printed?

To begin with, compared to Mexico City, any dry area could be called a desert. They had to know where they were going, I don't believe they just took off with the treasure looking for a place. Rivers had places to cross, which later became forts, and cities. One such place due north of Mexico City is Eagle Pass, Texas. A part of Eagle Pass is known as "Las Siete Lomas", or the seven hills.

I could end the post here, and that alone would have merit, but there is more to my story. I was shown by a friend, some pictures of three rock faces, very well sculptured, which to me appeared to be either Mayan or Aztec. I later learned that the Mayan had not been known to venture this far north, so they may very well be Aztec.

He claimed he made the discovery while hunting for arrowheads on a private ranch close to town. He said he had kind of lost his bearing since he was just looking down while hunting. He decided to climb a steep hill to see if he could maybe see his truck. When he was approaching the top, he started to make out a face on the rock. He claims that you can't make out the faces from the ground.

The rock faces formed a triangle, and could all be seen in the picture, as they were no more than twenty five feet from one another. I told him it could be that they were protecting something because they all had their back to the top of the hill, which seemed like it could have a covered place.

About two month later he took his girlfriend, and took more pictures. One of the rock faces had been chiseled off. He had the before and after pictures. The faces by the way were all about four feet tall.

The last time I saw him, they were cleaning up after a fire that had burned most of their things including the pictures. I have being meaning to go see him some day with a good offer just to have him point me in the right direction.

Homar P. Olivarez

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks relic..I had given up finding an inventory... so just the first few pages make me happy! Thanks again.

distribuidorUSA

Dec 11, 2012
Strathmore Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early 50's tourists from Texas where shopping in the town of Taxco Gro Mex.200 miles south east of Mexico City.they came across a local merchant who sold Silver jewerly.this guy offered them a huge cache of Aztect hornaments.among them were huge Carnelian knives and swords up to 20 + inches long.most were jasper and obsidian.there where Jade and Granite Mazks.pieces of feathered wood shields and some silver and lead alloy plaques.froom this find my Father in law would get involved in the most amazing adventure that would end up in the most likely place where the Moctecozuma treassure is located.the good news is I KNOW WHERE IT IS.I hope the Mexican Goverment would let me keep a percentage.if not.then the treassure will stay in its place for a few more centuries.

distribuidorUSA

Dec 11, 2012
Strathmore Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'been at the spot where the treasure more likely is.all I can say is.the entrance is guarded by sicrified warriors.their hornaments and weapons no longer with them.they have'been brought to the USA halve a century ago.the reppository is boobie trapped.something like a indiana jones Movie.I have proof.

distribuidorUSA

Dec 11, 2012
Strathmore Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will post pictures on the thread "Astec treasure found already?"I been holding this secret for decades.no more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread