Montezumas Treasure and Arizona Strip region Newspaper

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Montezuma's Treasure and Arizona Strip region Newspaper

Wanted to let everyone know I was currently running an add in the Misc. section of the Southern Utah News classified section. I'm seeking help via information for my book from area residents. Specifically I'm interested in first-hand accounts of Freddie Crystal or Bill Jons in the form of diary/journal entries, photographs, or personal correspondence. I'm gearing up for another trip to the area (hopefully) and I'd like to make the trip worthwhile. The add will run in the weekly paper for the next month and has my contact information. If you know anyone or suspect anyone that could help me and might be willing to refer them to the add. Thanks in advance for your help...

Randy Bradford

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Re: Montezuma's Treasure and Arizona Strip region Newspaper

Randy:
? ;) If you need some extended/experienced help, drop me a line!
I'll be close to the area on my TH'ing/Prospecting trip this year!
I heard of a cave/tunnels up that way, where someone was working,
what they thought was Montezuma's cache!
:-\ But! They gave up because of the work involved! :P

OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004

Appreciate the offer...but frankly I'm not working on a recovery. For that matter my book isn't even an effort to convince people that the treasure itself is one place as opposed to another. My book is a broad stroke about the legends surrounding MOntezuma's treasure. Outlining stories from over 50 locales....how these stories came to be, how they've endured, and what impact they've had in their surrounding communities. I'm not attempting to sell a destination, but a journey.

The area you speak of is Kanab, and to my knowledge the treasure hunt wasn't given up because of the work involved, it just never panned out. The area that was worked had the support and work load of most of an entire town for almost 2 years. Their failure to recover a cache isn't a reflection of lack of effort by any means.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

Randy:
Wouldn't it make a more Interesting & factual tale/book, if you had visited the areas/sites!
And!
Or! Photographed some of the "signs" & topography!
IE: "The Fox Head", that I posted!
The researcher says that, thru his research,? it has to do with Montezuma's Treasure?
I am also aware of another site, near to the Mexican, New Mexico & Arizona Borders!
This Site has A! Panel (Flat cliff surface) with Aztec Writing & Symbols, directing/pointing into a certain canyon!
AND! Perhaps! Telling a STORY ?
There IS! Also! a very unusal LANDSCAPE feature in this area !

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN

? Cptbil--I tried to order Kenworthy's book from our book store and, they couldn't get a copy after 4 months.

Bill-- Can you tel me if these are of Aztec or Eygptian carvings. These are at my site

? ? Jacko

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

? ;D It must have escaped into the "Ether" !? ::)
? ?:-[ I haven't seen it!
Do you send it to my "@direcway." address or to where?
You know, That sometimes those "little electronic guys" ? ;)? get lost in all of that vast
space out there on the "net" !? ::)
? :o I am constantly amazed at this mode of electronic communications !? :o
? :oWhat NEXT? :o

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN

I'll re send them. I sent them to the address you gave me when I asked about New Mexico.

Jacko

St. Jerome

Feb 21, 2005

I was walking in the desert in AZ and came across an old tree stump that was hacked with an axe long ago. It was right in front of a hole that was dug into the side of a granite/sandstone deposite, with quartz veins. The hole has been filled in but it is out there. Allso, I was walking by a cliff in a place where some spanish gold mining had been done on and off in the past. I found a rock that was odd. I went to the rock and decided it was covering a hole. I moved the rock and sure enough! There is this hole. I go down in the hole and find two candles that are covered in mold. They are in a firepit that is never lit. There is an eagle skull too. There is more not now. I found a vein of quartz burried by someone with rocks on a creek in the sierras in north calif. There is a mining camp in the woods across the creek from it. I am currently working on the hole with the eagle skull. I am broke and hungry and my hands are bleeding I have come into town for tools and food and rest. I am not a treasure hunter. I am a rock hound and an artist. I am doing this because it wont leave me alone until I figure it out. If I had a metal detector.......

JACKOJohn Stanwix

Dec 20, 2004
HEAVEN

St. Jerome--- would you mind saying what 1/4 of the state of AZ you were when you found the hole?? Just curious. You can send me a PM.

Jacko

St. Jerome

Feb 21, 2005

I am in the flagstaff area. I found a cross marked on a rock too in the same canyon. There is an old spanish mine back there that nobody seems to have any info on. Is it lost? There are others that know of it. It tunnels back into the canyon quite a ways. There is a large scraper of pipestone on a ledge just above it with burn marks on it as if some offering was burnt on it. I think maybe it has to do with the hole I found. It seems the candles and the scraper are from the same time. There is a legend that a large amount of gold was buried out there. In fact someone found some piles of gold dust, a spur, and some conquistador armor by some burro bones in the 30's. I just read that some guy name cooney was found dead out there too. I believe I found an old dump where the natives buried some junk that was useless to them. Maybe they thought it was evil junk.

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona

St. Jerome said:
I am in the flagstaff area. I found a cross marked on a rock too in the same canyon. There is an old spanish mine back there that nobody seems to have any info on. Is it lost? There are others that know of it. It tunnels back into the canyon quite a ways. There is a large scraper of pipestone on a ledge just above it with burn marks on it as if some offering was burnt on it. I think maybe it has to do with the hole I found. It seems the candles and the scraper are from the same time. There is a legend that a large amount of gold was buried out there. In fact someone found some piles of gold dust, a spur, and some conquistador armor by some burro bones in the 30's. I just read that some guy name cooney was found dead out there too. I believe I found an old dump where the natives buried some junk that was useless to them. Maybe they thought it was evil junk.
I saw you message and I read in an old magazine about that (I think) the same thing Please send me a pvt message Buck

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

St jerome sounds to me like you may be on to what was labeled the lost mine of sycamore canyon. looked for it for years. Go to the N.A.U. library check out the file lost sycamore canyon mine. There was a lot missing out of it last time I saw it. I still remember all the original contents if I can be of any help. Spent fifteen years in Flagstaff. Stan Johnson The adult pastor at Flagstaff Christian fellowship did some hunting with me , if you get up that way give him a buzz of drop by the church.

Wild Boulder

Nemo

Jun 22, 2005

Wild Boulder Bill said:
St jerome sounds to me like you may be on to what was labeled the lost mine of sycamore canyon. looked for it for years. Go to the N.A.U. library check out the file lost sycamore canyon mine. There was a lot missing out of it last time I saw it. I still remember all the original contents if I can be of any help. Spent fifteen years in Flagstaff. Stan Johnson The adult pastor at Flagstaff Christian fellowship did some hunting with me , if you get up that way give him a buzz of drop by the church.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Wild Boulder

Greetings

I put that file together when I worked for the Special Collections Department a number of years ago. I might be able to fill in some of the missing gaps in this collection of material.

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Nemo glad to see you that was quite a file. You do good work. Do you still live in flagstaff. I got a story of a horse shoe 20 foot up in a tree

Wild Boulder

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona

Wild Boulder Bill said:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Wild Boulder
I spoke To St.Jerome by phone back in feb. we spoke for30-45 mins and I did not learn any thing from him. just what he had all ready put in the message board .buck

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

As you might know,? ????? that area, NW of "Flag" was fairly remote, until recently.
Back in the late 40's or early 50's,? :P? ?a Tribe of Indians was discovered,? ?;D that hadn't seen a white man since around the "Civil War" Period!? ?:o
? ;)? Who knows what else is back in that region of the State ?? :P

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona

I just found an old Desert magazine dated June 1967 that tells you the story Buck

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I spoke with an elementary teacher in flagstaff. Imagine my suprise to find that the forest servicees used to take 50 people a year into a complete indian village in that area. She said it was intact in every way just as if all the people got up one morning and walked away. the pottery there unbroken completly intact. Everything in perfect condition. I've heard they have stopped taken people in there. It is gaurded by extreme sophisticated electronic survaillance. I have often wondered if this is not the town connected with the mine.
Wild Boulder Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread