Something found in uncles tetele (mound)

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Something found in uncle's tetele (mound)

My wife told me that her uncle let someone dig on his tetele. As best as I can tell tetele means man-made mound, but that is only because that seems to be what they are, not because I have translated the word.

It is not far from my house, she said we can see it from our roof. Of course, our land adjoins his. I am amazed I don't know it. I have been all through that property and don't recollect a large mound. Unless it is hidden by trees.

Anyway, they found something, he apparently will not say what it was. And, he told them to stop digging.

Is it pottery? Did they find bones? I have no idea. But, it would be in the category that he did not want it dug.

There could be several categories that would cause him to stop the digging. I would be more apt to think of bones, than anything else.

Is it possible? Yes. Several years ago, maybe 1/3 miles to the east, workers were digging to pour a footing for a new addition to a house. They encountered, I am starting to forget, maybe it's posted elsewhere on this forum, 6 or 8 skeletons, which the owner hid over night.

So, it is not inconceivable they found bones, and he would not want to disturb the dead.

I will see if I can find out. But, as other postings have indicated, this people in the country can be very incommunicative if they want to be.

I just don't think he would stop for pottery. It is too common here.

And, gold, first is not likely. Second, whoever dug would probably not keep that a secret. Possible, not likely because heavy drinking here is not uncommon.

So, strictly as a wild hunch, I am guessing they found more bones.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
We were walking past the House of Moctezuma the other day. I asked my wife where the tetele is. Turns out it is some hundreds of meters to the east, actually on the other side of the new bypass. I had thought maybe it was built as a prayer place for the early Tenochas who owned the land pre-Cortes. But, the distance precludes that possibility.

It does seem to be not far from the skeletons I reported on some time ago.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning my friend, try learning dowsing and see what might lie over there, as well as the rest of your region. Incidentally dowsing does work, despite claims otherwise. Try sending a photograph of your area to one of the mapo dowsers here in TNet in the dowsing section. Now for that hot cuppa coffee Y pan dulce?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning my friend, try learning dowsing and see what might lie over there, as well as the rest of your region. Incidentally dowsing does work, despite claims otherwise. Try sending a photograph of your area to one of the mapo dowsers here in TNet in the dowsing section. Now for that hot cuppa coffee Y pan dulce?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Hmmm - you might want to have another talk with 'Oro de Tayopa' - he is a firm non-believer (other than for water) - to my great dispair! Might be a tad o'wishful thinking on my part - but hey - if it works (at least for some) ...

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010

Don Jose de La Mancha

A nice picture from Google Earth with coordinates. What a great idea! Jijiji.

No, just no.

And, I do not think dowsing is necessary at all. If you can "get into the mind of the person who hid the treasure" and know what was happening in the area at the time, you can most likely know where they put it.

In this case, if the gold is in this area as oral tradition says, then I know with at least 50% certainty where it is, already. There is only one safe place they could have put it at that time.

Right where the skeleton with the large gold neck piece was found.

No other place but inside the "fort" house of Moctezuma would be safe from local indigenous people. Not only safe after it was hidden, but also physical and visual security while digging and burying it,

This understanding the mentality of the hider is also why it is so unlikely they moved it hundreds and hundreds of miles outside the Aztec region with no expectation of ever being able to retrieve it.

Here is my view of the Aztecs at that time. Moctezuma II was a doofus. He made too many dumb mistakes. I suspect that though his subjects were obedient, his own family viewed him as an idiot, much like Moses of the Bible.

Among those mistakes was sending gold to gold-seekers to keep them away. Duh! Imagine if I found the gold and I sent you guys a pound of gold each while telling you please don't come visit me, you won't like it here? Jijiji.

And, housing the Conquistadores in the same building as 20 tons of gold? Really?

And, letting himself be taken prisoner by Cortes isn't real clever, either. The Aztecs were great military strategists, but M. II wasn't, as such.

After Noche Triste, Moctezuma II was no longer in charge, being somewhat dead. And, IMO decisions would have been made by those who previously were most critical of him. We don't have any supporting writings for this, but human nature is pretty much standard. So, it is likely that even a very powerful Emperor with a bad habit of making stupid mistakes had dissent within his own family. And, the minute the strongest dissenter could do so, you can be sure that dissenter would be pushing his own agenda.

A friend told me that Moctezuma II hated to travel, thus probably never came to my village. At the same time, his kin would have visited. And, I suspect some sort of kin, maybe someone M. II didn't like having around, actually lived in the Casa de Moctezuma in this village. That is how royalty does things in all cultures. Send your ne'er do wells far away on some assignment that needs to be done, but not with great finesse.

So, when the topic of what to do with M. II"s body and the 15 tons of gold came up, members of the family would have thought of this fort/house right away. They not only knew the house and the surrounding people, they had probably spent 'vacations' there in the past.

And, yes, I do think that body found 100 years ago was M.II. Again, it is consistent. If they buried the treasure here, that would have been of the same value for burying the Emperor.

We will never know. Even if someone happened to know where in the local cemetery that the skeleton was buried, this area is filled with descendants of Moctezuma II's grand-father's,and only 500 years of y-marker mutations are not distinct enough to be sure of anything.

I don't want you to think this is the total of my ideas on the topic. I have been immersed in what I consider to be oral tradition, not legend, for well over 30 years now. It only became relevant when I learned from the Diaz book there was actually a large treasure that somehow disappeared.

The big negative is if there are other places such as this, owned by the Tenochas under similar conditions, and with similar local oral traditions. I have not heard of any such place in all my Internet and book research. However, I also have not ever seen mention of this place as being a family vacation place. The only way I can find it on the Web is to Google for its name and never have those hits mentioned the Tenochas. If that historian every finishes his book, I will have plenty more ideas on this topic. Please help me pray for his long life. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions