Moctezuma treasure found, lost again

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
¿Ya se perdió de nuevo el tesoro de Moctezuma? | México Desconocido

The URL translates roughly as Treasure of Moctezuma lost again.

The article seems to say part of Moctezuma's treasure was found in the ocean in 1976, turned over to a Mexican bank for storage, and now they can't find it, and the bank says they don't remember any such treasure. :D

Or, why if I find the treasure I will cover it back up. :D

I am busy today with irrigation work, so I only had time for a quick scan. The amount of gold involved was in the low two digit of kg. not much in comparison to what I think exists very near me.

Apparently, this gold was part of what was saved during the Noche Triste, and was enroute to Spain, when a very short distance from Vera Cruz the ship was sunk.

If someone gets a chance to translate it better, feel free to correct my errors.

I note the article says Mexico says all pre-conquistador items are 100% property of the Mexican government. As I see it, the old uncle is worth around 750 million dollars, unless the government finds out it's here, in which case he's broke. And, his rooster fighting area is all chewed up. And, maybe we are all dead from gunfire?

So, where is the motivation to out that treasure? :D

adtofca

Banned
Jan 22, 2016
California Sun
Detector(s) used
minelab thingy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your old uncle is causing his curse with mistreating the animals . he will never get treasure by being mean to the chickens .
just my opinion even though it is true .

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
The correct response to your political posting is probably prohibited. But, I am often amazed how habitants of a nation which does not prohibit women killing their babies can get so on their ear about roosters or dogs or bulls fighting.

I certainly agree with the "just my opinion" part, not so much with the 'though it is true' part.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
But, I am often amazed how habitants of a nation which does not prohibit women killing their babies can get so on their ear about roosters or dogs or bulls fighting. You got 100% support from my corner . Some folks got so little business of their own that they feel bound to mind everyone else's .

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The correct response to your political posting is probably prohibited. But, I am often amazed how habitants of a nation which does not prohibit women killing their babies can get so on their ear about roosters or dogs or bulls fighting.

I certainly agree with the "just my opinion" part, not so much with the 'though it is true' part.

Piegrande,

While we may disagree on the current whereabouts of Moctezuma's Treasure, we could not agree more than on this topic. Yes, kill all the unborn babies you want, lets all watch "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire" or "Who Wants to Marry a Midget". We burn our own flag. Utterly fail to take care of our veterans, but if the chickens on your chicken farm don't have at least 5 cubic feet of living space, its time for a congressional inquiry!

I am afraid for our future!

Mike

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many are quick to criticize foreign nations culture and don't care enough to find out the truth and history………
And these same are almost always ignorant of how cruel factory farms are in the USSA…….
Killing the unborn………truly evil, demonic……just because it is not a good time or wanted???? Perhaps some "defect"??

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
My apologies to the moderators. I had no intention of making this thread political. Nor do I now. But, rooster fighting is and will be probably forever a part of the Mexican culture. Knowing this, it never occurred to me that accurately describing the yard in front of the place the treasure is (possibly/perhaps) buried would bring an unpleasant response.

My 74 year old wife goes to the fights when her uncles participate. And, she enjoys it. She was raised that way. I do not. In 33 years I have never seen a rooster fight. Nor except on TV the matadors with the bulls. It is not part of my culture and I am sure I would not like it. But, it is not my business to come as a guest to a nation and start criticizing their national activities, even if my own nation had clean hands which it does not.

A certain amount of treasure hunting does involve places such as Mexico. If you are going TH in a place like Mexico, you need to be aware not only of rules; regulations; and laws. But, also "mores", I think pronounced like the ocean creature, rules which are not usually written anywhere but can get you injured or even killed by the violation.

This is one reason first-timers may find it wise to hire a guide in rural areas in Mexico.

For example, in rural areas to smile and tell a woman, any woman, good morning, can, albeit rarely, get you in a major fight which you can expect to lose. Some of these country guys are as feisty as the fighting roosters.

And, some years ago, a woman tourist with a camera was in a small village and saw the prettiest little girl, tried to lure her closer for a better photo. The locals have the mistaken idea that foreign women can grab a kid and run off with it and the government will let her. She was nearly killed.

Those are just examples.

@Real Over the years I have read repeatedly on the Web and in the newspapers that all items proved to be pre-conquistador are property of the Federal Government. If this is not correct, I would like to know. And, probably some post-conquistador antiquities.

Another example I have a couple fossil fish in my bookcase. To have them is allowed. To export them is severely restricted. To obtain those fossils I am told would cost a US university about $20,000 each in permits and export taxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread