tl;dr tl;aw

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I am contemplating a dilemma. I have typed in what I view as a massive amount of material on my theory that the treasure is within 100 feet of my property line. This was over several years, from the time when I still considered it to be just an interesting local legend, and added details as outside sources became available.

I am normally my own worst critic, even worse than my wife. :D

So, I talked myself through the weak points of the theory, usually admitting they were weak points before anyone told me that.

Tl;dr is an Internet abbreviation which means Too Long; Didn't Read. I can relate to tl;dr. I really gnash my teeth when someone posts a 60 minute Youtube video on an interesting topic here. If I decide it it important, I have to make a note and watch it when my wife is gone somewhere and I have time without interruption. I can read very fast, but one cannot speed up a 60 minute video. I am not going to stop and watch a 60 minute video as part of a TN session.

So, I don't mind much if someone makes it clear they haven't read all my zillions of postings on this theory. And some of the regulars got them one posting at a time, which worked out really well, probably.

The problem is when they make it clear they did not read it, and ask me a question which was already well answered at length. It comes down to they don't have time to read my postings at 300 words a minute, but want me to re-type it just for them to answer their specific question at 35 wpm.

So, I think I am going to be typing answering those questions with TL;AW Too long; already wrote. :D

I am not sure if this is acceptable Netiquette or not, and welcome opinions on this dilemma from those who are NOT asking me to re-type lengthy material. And, from the moderators, of course.

Clearly, this is a personal theory and no more, no matter how many years it took me to work through it. So, no one need apologize for not wanting to take time to read it all. I sure wouldn't if the tables were turned. :D

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"but one cannot speed up a 60 minute video"
Why not? Download VLC Media Player and download prospective longer videos. Play with VLC. If you press the + button, the video goes faster and the voices get faster and higher in pitch. Press again and even faster. After 3-5 presses the sound disappears but the video continues fast forwarding. I've gotten to where I won't even touch Microsoft Media Center!! Oh, and VLC is free as well as open sourced. Just be careful of where you download, as most download sites add bloatware. Do a web search for VLC and download directly from their website.

You "should" be able to watch a 60 minute video with sound in 1/2 that time!! Oh, hit the - (minus) button to slow back down.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Piegrande I read all your posts. It took me 3 days. If someone asks you a question you already answered, just tell them to go back and re-read your earlier posts and they will find the answer.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
However, it would also be nice if you could keep a list of Tnet post (or thread) URL's so that if someone needs to read something specific, you can make it just a little easier than having to go back and read years worth of posts. After all, there's always the new kid on the block. ...Hmm, like "me" :hello:

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Piegrande I read all your posts. It took me 3 days. If someone asks you a question you already answered, just tell them to go back and re-read your earlier posts and they will find the answer.

That was my original thought, but I wanted some impartial feedback as to how ornery that would be.

I do like a mystery. Any mystery, pretty much will do. In my work, I became a 'go-to" man when there was a problem no one could solve. When I moved into that section, they asked me to tell about myself; they knew my brother, but not me. I told them, "I am a snoop; a really good snoop!"

They had no idea what that meant until they had a problem no one could solve, in fact it was labeled by the engineers as unsolvable. It did take me two weeks, which was embarrassing. They started calling me the professional snoop, the sort of thing that happens when people work together for a while.

So, this treasure thing really lit my fire once I found independent sources such as Cortes and Diaz. The problem was eliminating inconsistencies which took a long time

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
However, it would also be nice if you could keep a list of Tnet post (or thread) URL's so that if someone needs to read something specific, you can make it just a little easier than having to go back and read years worth of posts. After all, there's always the new kid on the block. ...Hmm, like "me" :hello:

I think that's a good idea. The problem is the amount of time it would take to make up an index like that.

I also thought of writing a summary posting, something like "Summary to Piegrande's Treasure Theory" summarizing main points. That would be faster because I can do it from memory, pretty much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions