Aztec Treasure House, a fiction book of 1890

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I ran across an old book on Android in my tablet. It's called Aztec Treasure House, published in 1890. Wild fantasy, it involved Aztecs who were isolated in a valley with no exit. Or, so they thought. They still sacrificed people in the old way. But, had accumulated thousands of pounds of gold somehow.

Not especially relevant to real life, but I thought it was an interesting concept for total fiction, as to the mental images people have of lost treasures.

The Aztec Treasure-House from Project Gutenberg

Not sure if I would recommend anyone reading it unless you read fast. But, it did get me thinking again about the possibility that treasure is near me.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
There is another book with that same title that I found very interesting: The Aztec Treasure House by Evan Connell.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Old Bookaroo's book is very relevant to real life. A series of serious essays on the topic of the Aztec treasures, real and legendary, you can get it new and used from Amazon and other places if you look. My referred book was more like fantasy fiction from long ago. Thanks, OB.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
piegrande:

Thank you for your kind words. He is an excellent writer! I believe he has at least one other book of essays still in print.

The search for the Aztec treasure may be futile. According to a post on another thread, the loot was lifted by Jesse James and moved north...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Did anyone take that theory of James finding the treasure seriously? :D

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I want to make it clear that I mean no dis-respect to anyone who does take it seriously. Too many things have to go just right for anything like that to happen. So many that I cannot believe it.

But, many people also think my theory of the treasure being where I live is also bunkum.

Of course, until recently I also thought it was bunkum. It took me over 30 years to decide it actually makes sense that it would be there.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doubtful the James boys got away with any Aztec treasure........it seems there is much remaining to be found here.......

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
That is one of my theories of unknown history, that all the emperors had a lot of gold and different things happened to different gold.

If you read of the Gold Rush (I should say gold rushes because there were many) when they started, in some places there was a tremendous amount of gold taken out. Over the years, now they are digging thousands of feet below the earth to get small quantities.

Thus, I believe when the Aztecs first decided to accumulate large quantities of gold, they could. After time passed, and the conquistadors took a lot away, not too much was happening. I posted somewhere here the very large amount of gold and silver which was allegedly taken to Spain from Mexico.

So, though today, at least, I think there is a large quantity of treasure not far from my house, that does not preclude other treasure heaps in other places.

Rational people believe the Noche Triste treasure was put in several places. They may be right, but my personal view is they wanted it all put in a safe place, fast; fast; fast. So, did not run it all over the place and bury it in different places. The fort/house here was a perfect place to be able to bury it with no one watching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread