What would you do with the money?

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
So, tell me, what would you do with the money, if you did somehow obtain 15 tons of gold and jewels and get it in the bank in cash?

I am not a greedy person. My modest pension covers all my needs and the few important luxuries, such as my 2009 Mexican Sienna and my 5 computers. The most expensive of the 5 was well under 500 dollars. I am a Linux geek and can make the cheap ones do whatever I want. I do not need a $2000 machine for anything I do, including photo editing.

There simply is nothing I really want or need that I cannot obtain by careful budgeting. Give me 500 million dollars and it will mess up my life. Everybody will be 'gunning"' for me. that is probably why extremely valuable jewels have an alleged curse on them. the minute you get it, everyone really wants to kill you to get it.

What about the other people here? Is there anything involved besides greed? Or curiosity? the thrill of the chase?

If you think it through you can understand why that stuff is still here after 500 years. They had all they reasonably needed and it was not worth the work and fuss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Emotionally, I already feel as if that loot is mine. I feel really rich knowing (I.e. thinking) it is there if I want it. I think of it as being mine.

My son-in-law buys an occasional Power Ball ticket.We discuss what we'd to if he wins. I told them I probably would not accept a cent. Wealth takes charge of your life. I want to be in charge of my own life.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree entirely. Not really sure what I'd do with it, as I don't know enough "good" people to share it amongst. Maybe seek out families of our fallen; military, fire fighters and law enforcement. I'd make certain that no family would get forgotten. ...Maybe hire some of our disabled veterans to run the organization. And I certainly wouldn't want that much for ourselves. A million? Maybe. ...MAYBE!! But nothing more. Just enough to ensure financial security for the rest of our lives. $1 mil would easily cover that.

I'm hoping to build a new shop this Spring. I've got the money to have a pole building built, but want instead to use local materials and build something special - something that "fits" this place. So what's this place? An old farmstead in the middle of nowhere. No people around, no where near town. Our home is like us....."different". So shall my shop be.

We have a 2004 truck, but that's too new!! If we had the money, I'd get a 70's model truck fully restored from the ground up. If I wanted to go all out, would get a restored early 60's Dodge Powerwagon. Almost HAVE to have 4wd in this area!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Excuse me Sir, but I think you have the wrong thread here. This thread is for folks to "write" their answers in. It's essay, of course! :laughing7: :tongue3:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spend it on booze and broads of course, make up for the lost time hunting for it. :occasion14::laughing7::coffee2:

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admit I often thought about this......

After My strange encounter with a strange Jesuit type character of a passenger of mine. He talked to me casually about the same question of great wealth. This rather elderly gent worn by many years said to me his ideals changed over the years. As there was times he was incredibly wealthy lost it and won it again. But the thing he stressed the most of all it was not the money in the end it was challenge, it was proverbial mountain to climb against impossible odds to yet prevail.... But what next after climbing that proverbial mountain? A whole life time spent in obsession of the pursuit? Yet this strange rather sad figure said some times the greatest treasure of all is ones you already have and never realize it. And the greatest curse is after climbing that mountain your still climbing because the desire of climbing that proverbial mountain leaches into your soul.

Mal

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well first I would hire a few female body guards
I would let some unemployed person have my job
whilst walking all the warm beaches of the world I would bury gold us coins for you guys to find
I would help people on a one by one basis/ if you have a cardboard sign get a job
I only give to people who don't ask

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Would Give Away 70 Percent of the After tax Value Then Retire And Go On A Long Road trip With Red Metal Detecting As we Go HH Chug

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess I forgot That 70 Percent Would Be Given Away While Traveling Chug

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tidings ssm,

The legends tab is abundant with a yarns , legends and tales , plenty for us armchair , kitchen table kinda guys to ponder the "what ifs". Inevitably one will grab a hold of you , there begins the proverbial mountain climber if chosen.
As I was once told , its like an addiction. and can overwhelm peripheral going ons in everyday life. where others see you as obsessed or selfish , or simply just being a delusional numpty and you see yourself as passionate about a topic of your choice. I assume it can only be a lonely road for the fellas who have achieved & have travelled down that road (stubborn focused buggers? perhaps)
its the "what if"ers that make these legends , yarns and tales come alive , via there own character.

bananas

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Except that I am a very curious person, I have no burning fire to see if the gold is near me, or not. Once I decided in my own head it is here, and that there is no way to ever take it away, I am at total peace with not digging, or knowing for sure beyond my intellectual exercises, that it is not meant to be. And, I suspect this doesn't make much sense to anyone else.

This I suppose goes back to the AA creed. "Help me to accept that which I cannot change."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread