CPTBILs mention of Aztec pictographs in SE Arizona

DOCC77

Jan 13, 2007
Re: CPTBIL's mention of Aztec pictographs in SE Arizona

Hello Emerald and treasuregirl

Im Bills partner and we are going to be doing alot!!! of exploring starting this march.I research alot for this partnership.I have some good contacts with alot of sources.Let me know if we can help you with finding things about aztec culture or alphabet.Hope your endevors are fruitful and your more then welcome to visit us while we are out.Stop by our camp for coffee....

Good luk

treasure_girl3

Feb 9, 2008

DOCC77,

Thanks that would be very helpful! :D Espessially the alphabet part!

~Treasure Girl 8)

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco

prospector40 said:
I used to be stationed at Ft Huachuca in Sierra Vista AZ. Right on post some caves were found with all kinds of drawing and writings that are supposed to be several hundred years old. Anyway, the army had the caves blocked up and the area is now off limits. If I am not mistaken it was in the middle or upper Huachuca Canyon parks. That was in the mid to late 80's.
why did they block them off?...are there any pictures from what was inside?...just curious

emeraldaurora

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2008

DOCC77~

like my Partner Treasuregirl said that would be great the help would be appreciated.

treasure_girl3

Feb 9, 2008

Cptbild and DOCC77,

What other prehistoric drawings have you identified? :) (You don't have to share if you dont want to :-X)

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007

I dunno! I think BB is right. The woman is staring right at the guys forehead, with a small face protuding from his forehead, looking back at her. And I believe it is a shawl she is wearing. The stones do not seem to be natural there, I wonder what is behind them? I too think spanish. Luck, TD

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

NOT saying that is not Aztec, but at first glance I would guess it to be Anasazi.

page

http://www.beloit.edu/~logan/exhibi...s/north_america/southwest/anasazi/images/page
b_rrpaneldetail5_5752a.jpg

http://raysweb.net/rockart/

Just MY OPINION ONLY and if it is Anasazi it is still VERY INTERESTING.
Oroblanco

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Oro,

Your picture is obviously Anasazi, but I don't believe the other (if authentic) is.

Joe

Attachments

• Anasazi Or Aztec.jpg
    Anasazi Or Aztec.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,051

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Greetings Cactusjumper and everyone,

I want to get a bit more specific here - for I would GUESS that a PART of that pictograph is modern specifically the 'head' image circled here: pictogram2.JPG the REST of the image I would GUESS to be probably ancient and Anasazi.

Oroblanco

treasure_girl3

Feb 9, 2008

Oroblanco,

I don't know... The Aztec and Anasazi have similar drawings but it appears more Aztec than Anasazi.

~Treasure Girl 8)

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Could be Aztec - anyone know any Aztec experts we could get an opinion from?
Oroblanco

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006

Oroblanco said:
Could be Aztec - anyone know any Aztec experts we could get an opinion from?
Oroblanco

just my opioion but the Anasazi were known for black ink designs on their poteries , it would be more logical that they would use black ink on wall art i would think and i also agree wth you Oro the face looks to modern .. more like the spainish mexican era , the women if thas what it is has what looks to be a vail on her face and a scall ... these IMHO would be more modern clouthing of the spainish mexican era

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

I respectfully disagree with you mi amigo Blindbowman, on the point of the Anasazi being more likely to use black ink on petroglyphs, all the Anasazi petroglyphs (which is what we are looking at in the photo, not pictograms which are painted) have no black ink on them. I would hesitate to put a date on the 'head' part of the engraving but if I had to, I would guess a time like the late 1950s or early 1960s. I am no expert on petroglyphs however and am guessing at this.
your friend,
Oroblanco

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The drawing of the head is older than the lines. The head does look a little Aztec IMO. I'm no expert though :)

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Gentlemen,

I am also no expert, but it's possible to spend a few hours looking at Aztec drawings and books on their history, without leaving this room.

I would agree with Roy that this is a modern day drawing. Not at all unusual for the Southwest. Better, I suppose, than painting your name on an overpass, but not much more meaningful.

The Aztec were big into noses......so to speak. They would never have drawn such an ugly proboscis. It would be nice to have a picture without the chalk. I believe you can take my word on this, but if you like, I can send it to some experts.

Joe Ribaudo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Joe if it would not be too much trouble, I am curious enough to ask if you would not mind emailing the photo to a bona fide Aztec expert, and obtain his/her opinion? That would not prove it beyond all doubt, but would go some ways to convince me and I am sure others as well. Thank you in advance,
your friend,
Roy

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Roy,

I will be happy to do that. Can't guarantee I will receive an answer but if past experience means anything,
I will eventually receive a response.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Roy,

I only sent the picture to Dr. Michael E. Smith, because he is eminently qualified to recognize Aztec artifacts. He has been kind enough to reply in the past and keeps it short and to the point. I would imagine he is asked his opinion on many such chalked-up hoaxes and is tired of such foolishness. He replied very quickly about this picture.

Here is a direct quote:

"I have no idea what this is."

I have no intention of sending it to anyone else, as Dr. Smith's assessment is enough for me. His credentials are readily available to anyone who is interested. If the drawing was Aztec......or any other Native American drawing, I believe he would have known.

If authentication of this statement is something you would like to have, I will be happy to forward my email to Dr. Smith, and his emailed response....to you.

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Thank you Joe for the extra effort and I feel fully confident that you have no agenda and your word has proven to be your bond, I take what you report as fact. I would agree with your assessment, if it were Aztec or another Amerindian culture, he would have had an instant recognition and say so.

With this new information, I will stick my neck out and say this petroglyph is probably modern graffiti - and says in essence

"I WUZ HEAR - SIGNED ME"

in the best artistic efforts of the "artist" and probably included a SELF-PORTRAIT as well. Of course I could be 100% wrong, but relying on an expert opinion I can now blame it on someone else! ;D :D ;)

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you all find the treasures that you seek.
your friend,
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions