Universal Healthcare?

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to get all huggy and cute here and I certainly don't want it to be a political debate either but I wanted to ponder something and get some ideas about how my counterparts feel, too.

Universal Healthcare.

I have been in the Army now for almost 17 years. One reason I decided to stay and retire is for the retirement benefits. So having said that, if a candidate promises universal healthcare, why would that be a carrot to entice me, a member of the military?

I feel like I have busted my behind for nearly two decades to EARN my universal healthcare benefits, so I guess I fell kinda betrayed to be in a position with a possible Commander in Chief wanting to give these benefits away to everyone - whether or not they earn them.

Yes, yes - I get the whole argument about healthcare being a need for everyone yadda yadda yadda. I don't quite believe that, however I do understand the dilemma. I just don't think that universal healthcare is quite the answer.

What say you?

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Universal healthcare would be nice but I really don't see the insurance companies allowing it to happen. They have very deep pockets and there is probably room for several politicians to fit in them. It's sad times we live in.

auger

Oct 14, 2008
South Carolina
Hi airborne1092,

I wouldn't get too upset about universal healthcare happening anytime soon. There are some things that you should be aware of regarding that "free healthcare for the rest of your life if you just stick it out for at least 20 years" promise. Once you retire, you are turned over to the DOD's healthcare system, TRICARE. Prior to 2001, once you hit 65, all military assistance ended, and you were dependent on Medicare alone from that point forward unless you had some other supplemental insurance. After 2001, TRICARE added "TRICARE For Life". It effectively becomes that supplemental insurance that pays most, if not all, that Medicare doesn't cover. I don't know what other affect that has on post age 65 healthcare. I still have 11 years to go before I hit that milestone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions