My Tank, Erlangen Germany, 1977

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• img123002.jpg
    img123002.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 1,050

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool picture. People forget that the cold war was a war. One big tense stand off.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M48 or M60? Been so long since they were retired there isn't enough for me to tell. I remember those ODs, wore them for a few years before they came out with the BDUs. Cap with the unit crest, always bumping your head on something in vehicles and the holdfasts digging into your forehead. I was an engineer, but ran with you guys and the infantry. REFORGER was always an interesting time. I was wearing Old Ironsides when I retired in '98. Cool photo, brings back memories...

Robin

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it's the M60A1. 105 mm main gun. I left Germany in November 1978, probably 2 years before the Abrams replaced the old M60A1. It's a good thing we never had to use the M60A1 in battle, it was a death trap. The Israels found a major flaw in the design. The OHT hydraulic fluid (cherry juice) was extremely flammable, any rupture of the hydraulic lines in the turret caused instant fire and would incinerate the crew. These lines were under high pressure, any rupture would put super flammable vapor spray inside the tank. Instant BBQ. Glad we now have the Abrams.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
M60A1?? You shure?? Looks like a "universal translater" to me... anything that 105 gun sends to the "enemy" is immediately understood... in any language!! NICE!! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread