Calling All Army Dawgies - When and Where did you go to Boot camp.

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camp Snoopy (Ft. Jackson) 1997 then off to Ft. Huachuca. 97B Intelligence Analyst.
Went into the Navy in 2001.

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basic & AIT - "Little Vietnam" Ft. Puke, Lousyana
Ft. Stewart, GA - 2/21st Infantry CO's RTO and driver as "straightleg" infantry with a stint in Ft. Wainright, AK
Schofield Barracks, Hi - 1/14th Infantry Recondo, stint in Phillipines, Australia, New Zealand and Korea, 25th MP Company
Ft. McClellan, AL - MP school
Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX - DOD school
Ft.Riley, KS - 977th MP, 716th MP Bn - 95B30Q9
Miami, FL - taken off orders for Drill Sgt school because of "60 Minutes" recruiting scandal and sent to Recruiting school...got fed up and got out, but loved every day of the 7 years, 9months and 29 days!

SeaHunter2312

Jul 29, 2020
Denver
Detector(s) used
Minelab GoFind 40
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft. Leonard Wood Basic/AIT OSUT July 1986 12B

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Fort Sill summer of 1990. And it's Basic Training, Marines go to boot camp. Guess where I am now? Back at Fort Sill as a civillian AIT ADA instructor.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fort Jackson for Basic, Ft. Leonard Wood for AIT. I don't miss it, but I do think about it quite a bit.

I remember after throwing fake grenades for a bit, we finally went to the live grenade range where we got to throw two live grenades. The first one i threw without a hitch, the second one I pulled the primary pin and thumbed the secondary off and as i leaned back with my arm extended to throw the grenade, the range Sargent in the hole with me grabbed me and shoved me to the bottom of the hole. You could feel the tension and stress in both of us as we crouched in the bottom of that hole staring at a live grenade in my hand with both pins pulled. It was like a mental count down, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....as we stared at it. Of course, i sill had the lever squeezed tight, but you worry that maybe as he grabbed me i released it enough that it didn't fly off, but activated the fuse....

The all clear was given (someone on another lane threw there's off course or too early) and i popped up and threw it!

Last edited:

Seadog72

Mar 29, 2014
Stewart County, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Other
Ft. Dix, NJ July 4th, 1990....and then Ft. Benning, GA when I changed my MOS to combat arms April 1999 (Retention NCO failed to mention that I had to start 11B training from Day 1 at Basic Training - lol)

Recently retired after 30yrs ��

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ft Jackson S.C. July 73, Basic Training A-1-1
Aberdeen Proving Ground MD. AIT, Machinist, 44E20
Monteith Barracks, Furth Germany, 123rd Maint Bn. B Co., Jan 74-May 76
Jones, forgive this ole Devil Dog, but I read where you were in Aberdeen Proving Ground in 73. I went to Boot Camp at Parris Island, and straight on to Aberdeen Proving Ground for my MOS 2111 Small Arms Infantry Repairman training (Armorer) in May 1976.

twrfish

Greenie
Mar 28, 2017
south east pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
graduated high school 64 drafted 1965 basic training ft Gordon oct and it was hot but I had just spent the summer working road construction so heat was no problem for me others not so good. stayed in Gordon for mp training upon graduation half got a trip to Vietnam other half dispersed over the world. I was the lucky half spent my entire time at site "R" ft Ritchie Maryland guarding a big frigging mountain called the little pentagon, saw many top brass but never the president! I was lucky many of my brothers were not! never forget those who gave everything and always stand for the anthem and flag!!!! those who don't or wont can go straight to hell.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all...Thanks to all those came before me and the ones who followed and continue to serve in the defense of this great nation!
My beginning....Ft. Benning, GA. Jan - Apr 1981. 11B in A/6/1, Alpha Company, 6th Battalion, 1st Infantry Training Brigade. Two years later Ft. Rucker AL, for the Warrant Officer Rotor Wing Basic Course. Eventually an Instructor Pilot for Helicopters, Fixed Wing Aircraft. 26 years of Active Duty, 52 months of Hostile Fire Pay, retired April 2007. Began my Army career as E-1 11B Infantry Soldier retired as CW5 Chief Warrant Officer 155F Jet Aircraft Pilot.....it was a great life!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread